ADHD drugs cause hallucinations

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

ADHD drugs cause hallucinations

Post by Maria »

This is pretty worrisome! http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/200 ... abel_x.htm

I wonder what the long term effects of seeing things that aren't there has on these kids? :( Is the "cure" worse than the problem?
Panel: ADHD drugs for kids need hallucination warning
By Rita Rubin, USA TODAY
GAITHERSBURG, Md. — A Food and Drug Administration advisory committee recommended Wednesday that the agency add information about a possible risk of hallucinations in children to the labels of attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder drugs.

The committee also urged the FDA to develop a consumer-friendly medication guide explaining to parents that they should talk to their child's doctor about stopping the medication should hallucinations occur.

The panel said the "MedGuide" also should note that ADHD drugs may increase the risk of aggressive behavior, although that can be a component of the disorder itself. And the guide should note that the drugs might increase the risk of heart attack, stroke or sudden death in patients who have undiagnosed heart problems.

Current labeling for the ADHD drugs — Adderall, Focalin, Concerta, Metadate, Methylin, Ritalin and Dexedrine — does not mention the possibility of hallucinations in patients who had no history of them and had taken the usual dose.

"We read case upon case of these children who do experience these hallucinations," Rosemary Johann-Liang of the FDA's Office of Drug Safety told the committee. "That is something that really struck all the reviewers."

Johann-Liang said it's unlikely that the ADHD drugs are simply unmasking a previously undiagnosed psychiatric disorder that would explain the hallucinations.

The panel did not feel that the risk of hallucinations warranted a "black box" warning, the strongest type of warning, said Pediatrics Advisory Committee chairman Robert Nelson of the department of anesthesia and critical care medicine at The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia. In 2004, Nelson's panel did recommend a black box warning about suicidal behavior in children and adolescents who take SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor) antidepressants. In that case, he said, there was only "marginal" evidence that the drugs were effective in that age group.

"In this case, you have overwhelming evidence of efficacy," Nelson said, adding that a black box might unnecessarily scare parents away from treatment.

The panel discussed whether ADHD drugs increased the risk of suicidal thoughts in children and adolescents, a possibility that Kate Gelperin, medical epidemiologist in the FDA's drug safety office, said could not be ruled out. But the panel did not advise adding that risk to their labels. Thomas Laughren of the FDA division that reviews psychiatric drugs said studies have found that 15% to 20% of adolescents in the general population report having suicidal thoughts.

The ADHD drug Strattera already has a black box warning about suicidal thoughts because of evidence from clinical trials, but no other ADHD drug label carries any information on suicidal thoughts.

Robert Temple, director of the FDA center that evaluates psychiatric drugs, said the agency is likely to follow the panel's advice.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Oh, and I mentioned this to my kids, and my daughter says it's quite common among her "druggie" friends to purchase Ritalin from the kids who are prescribed it, just because it IS a hallucinogen. :(
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Yes, Ritalin is a street drug. So are the drugs for adult ADD.

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

My son never had a problem with Adderall. But once we tried to switch him to Strattera, since it's not a controlled substance, and that was a big mistake. The difference was horrifying. He became suicidal and started hallucinating. Needless to say, we stopped it right away.

The thing is, psych meds affect people differently. What saves one person can harm another. The son of a friend of mine had remarkable results with Strattera, with no side effects at all.

These drugs are helpful and necessary, but anyone on them should be watched with great care.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

My husband's youngest son is ADHD. For some reason, they once tried swithching him from Ritalin to some other drug. Roger was horrified to find him sitting at the window, staring at the driveway, and describing things that weren't actually there, and having conversations with imaginary people. They switched him back to Ritalin as soon as they possibly could.

Like WC said, everyone is different in their response to these medications. But what happened to Kevin happened about 30 years ago. Many of these drugs have been around a LONG time. Are they only making this public NOW?? :scratch:
Phoenix_Valor

Post by Phoenix_Valor »

:shock: Wow, this would explain why I kept seeing things that obviously weren't there when I was very young, and on ritalin. I trhough I saw multiple, tiny multi colored pin-pricks of light, and though for a few moments that there was someone else in the room when there wasn't.

Now I understand why all this stopped after a few tries of different meds. I'm on stattera now, and I don't have any side effects at all.

This information is troubling. I'm wondering if these hallucinations can lead to schitzophrenia, or multi personality disorder.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadow shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken:
The crownless again shall be king.
--Bilbo, FOTR
TheEllipticalDisillusion
Insolent Pup

Post by TheEllipticalDisillusion »

I've never heard of this, and I've had my experiences with both Adderall and Ritalin.