Shooting of Congresswoman in Tucson

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Shooting of Congresswoman in Tucson

Post by Hachimitsu »

Details on the shooting

Has anyone heard on this? Among the dead is a federal judge and a 9 year-old girl. :(

The prognosis for Congresswoman Giffords, although being shot in the head is "optimistic".
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

This is horrible.
:(
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am horrified. I've just watched the youtube videos of shooter, Jared Laughner. This is a seriously disturbed individual. I'm sure that people are going to be reading a broader message into this, given his radical anti-government views. I'm not sure whether or not that is fair.

My heart goes out to the families of all those who were killed or injured in this senseless attack.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I saw conflicting reports earlier today - first she was dead, then she was in surgery without a prognosis and no one knew the final extent of the casualties or anything about the suspect. There are no words... Both the event itself and the losses are terrible and I fear the fall-out.

She was shot in the head from four feet away. I can't believe she survived. That's amazing. I wish her all the best for her recovery and all the best to her family. Having a loved one in the hospital is awful enough, but the neuro ICU is its own special brand of terrifying and depressing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wow. :(
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Rep. Giffords is expected to survive, though I think it is to soon to know to know extent she may suffer brain damage.

Six others are dead, including as Wilma said, a federal judge, and nine year girl. I believe that a total of 18 people were shot.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Griffon64

Post by Griffon64 »

Horrific.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

There's nothing anyone can say. My heart goes out to all the people who were hurt, and the families of those who were killed. I can scarcely bear to think of that little girl.
Dig deeper.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Completely horrific.

We will know a lot more about the shooter in coming days, but at this point it appears possible from his various Internet ramblings that he's insane in the pathological, medical sense. I hope that story is borne out. The last thing we need right now is more political divisiveness.

I do hope some thought is given to the extreme rhetoric that has been used in the past year or two, on left and right. Some really regrettable hyperbole has been put out there, and those who've come close to suggesting that this kind of violence is either acceptable or inevitable, or who have "joked" about it, are now, I hope, deeply regretting their words.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Primula Baggins wrote: I do hope some thought is given to the extreme rhetoric that has been used in the past year or two, on left and right.
I hope some thought is given to what sense it makes to have guns that shoot that many bullets that fast, to be legal for people to carry on the street. Concealed. Without a permit.

edit to add quote
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

That, too. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
eborr

Post by eborr »

Inspire damaged people with senseless rhetoric, give them access to weapons and innocent people die, whether it's in Palastine or the US or London.

Whilst I can in some way understand the motivations to do down someone whose views and actions might be an anathema, to kill so many complete innocents is inhuman
Since 1410 most Welsh people most of the time have abandoned any idea of independence as unthinkable. But since 1410 most Welsh people, at some time or another, if only in some secret corner of the mind, have been "out with Owain and his barefoot scrubs." For the Welsh mind is still haunted by it's lightning-flash vision of a people that was free.

Gwyn A. Williams,
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I don't think he was rational, eborr. I read some of what he wrote on the Internet, and it appeared he resented the government because it was implanting thoughts in his mind. That's pretty classical insanity.

Maybe he'd heard some rhetoric that stirred him up, and that's a bad thing. But he acted on the stirring because he wasn't sane.

It is a pertinent argument against using inflamed rhetoric.
Voronwë the Faithful

I agree that inflamed rhetoric has no place in a general sense, but I think it is difficult to find much connection with the rhetoric and this event. This individual appears to be extremely disturbed, but not in a way that seems to be particularly susceptible to the tea party type message. I think he could have equally targeted anyone.

I do agree with Cerin that this highlights the inadequacies of gun control laws. The gun was apparently purchased "legally". How someone so obviously mentally disturbed could be able to legally purchase a gun like this is beyond me.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

It's just sad, and hopefully a wake up call to end the hateful retoric and a beginning to adult conversation.

The girl was born on 9-11-01,or says Yahoo. :cry:
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I agree that inflamed rhetoric has no place in a general sense, but I think it is difficult to find much connection with the rhetoric and this event. This individual appears to be extremely disturbed, but not in a way that seems to be particularly susceptible to the tea party type message. I think he could have equally targeted anyone.
While that's surely possible, it seems far too much of a coincidence to me that Giffords happened to be one of the people "targeted" by Palin.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If this doesn't bring home the lunacy of some American gun laws, I don't know what will.
Dig deeper.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Vison

The gun advocates will counter with if there had been a person with a gun they could have taken the guy out and not as many would have died.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

Padme wrote:Vison

The gun advocates will counter with if there had been a person with a gun they could have taken the guy out and not as many would have died.
Given the laws in Arizona, there were probably persons in the crowd who were carrying guns. Which proves what I have often said: in the heat of the moment, when people are panicking and there is gunfire, almost no civilian would know what to do or when to do it. Very likely there would have been more injuries or deaths, not fewer. There is also the spectre of Jack Ruby grinning up from hell.
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful

yovargas wrote:
Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:I agree that inflamed rhetoric has no place in a general sense, but I think it is difficult to find much connection with the rhetoric and this event. This individual appears to be extremely disturbed, but not in a way that seems to be particularly susceptible to the tea party type message. I think he could have equally targeted anyone.
While that's surely possible, it seems far too much of a coincidence to me that Giffords happened to be one of the people "targeted" by Palin.
Except that there is absolutely no evidence that suggests that this crazy gunman was influenced by that. It may still turn out to be the case, but I'm not going to leap to that conclusion without there being some evidence to suggest it.