Redefining Illegality

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Frelga wrote
My impression is that the purpose of the immigration laws and their enforcement is not to prevent illegal immigration. It is to keep immigrants terrorized just enough so that their employers can pay them pennies for hard work in dangerous conditions, but not enough that these people leave.
Spot on. It is the illegality that enables employers to pay peanuts and to allow atrocious working conditions. The laws aren't designed to keep immigrants out, they are designed to maximise the profit from them while they are there.
Just a thought, if the US was surrounded by nations that had prosperous thriving populations then mass immigration wouldn't be such a problem. Might US foreign policy be involved in this somehow too? Does immigration from Canada cause a problem?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Warning: I have no clue what I'm talking about so feel free to ignore me!

It seems to me that there is a difference in attitude to different nationalities of illegal immigrant. From what little I know, it appears to me that much of the backbone of America was built on Italian and Irish immigrants and as such there is a relaxed attitude to the current illegal immigrants from those countries. Even our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Bertie Aherne made a personal appeal to President Bush on St. Patricks day to consider the impact of this bill on Irish Immigrants working illegally in the US. He appealed that they be given an opportunity to legalise their status, yet nobody is jumping up and down demanding his head for suggesting this. Why is it ok for the Irish to enter America by the back door, but not the Mexicans? Is it because the Irish immigrants tend to be better educated and have useful skillsets?

Genuinely curious, please explain this to me.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

tosh wrote:Does immigration from Canada cause a problem?
I wouldn't think so. Standard of living in Canada is equivalent to the US.
Alatar wrote:Why is it ok for the Irish to enter America by the back door, but not the Mexicans?
It's not. (I wasn't aware the US had an Irish immigration problem though.)

I think why Mexicans (or really Latinos) are being targeted is because of what I mentioned earlier: it's a take relationship, (really both ways...employers benefit by paying less than minimum wage...they take advantage of the immigrants). Latinos come work, don't pay taxes (aside from sales tax in those states that have it) and send the money outside the country. They may enroll their children in US public schools which are funded by tax-payer money. They often do not speak english which is a burden on American businesses.

I do think it's true that most Americans would be more accepting of a white, English-speaking European illegal immigrant than a Latino and that is wrong. But, I think they would still frown upon the illegal immigration.

I don't care where the person is from or what kind of skills they have. I just want them to come here legally.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

You know, I found some interesting statistics in an article by an outfit very hostile to illegal immigration ("Center for Immigration Studies"):

-- illegal immigrants pay about $7 billion a year into Social Security and Medicare -- programs they do not take money from later

-- in 2002 (according to CIS), the average illegal immigrant household paid $4212 in federal taxes. About half (says CIS) illegal immigrant households pay taxes.

-- the CIS calculates that illegal immigrants are a net $10 billion drain on the budget -- but they admit that a lot of that number comes from services provided, actually, to the U. S. citizen children of immigrants (school, health-care). You might want to argue that the cost of educating U. S. citizens, even if the immigration status of their parents was illegal, should not be put in the "illegal expenses" column.

Anyway, here's the hostile analysis that still points out illegal immigrants work hard and pay a lot of taxes!

One thing I feel very strongly about is the tone of this debate. (I mean: in the country, not here in the Hall of Fire, so no one take offense!) Sometimes it sounds like Americans are saying, "OUR ancestors snuck into this country early enough that WE'RE legal, and that makes us better than you poor, sneaky Mexicans!" Pretty much everybody in the United States came here to find a "better life" -- even "material advantages," actually. We are not one whit more deserving than our neighbors to the south, who were less lucky in the great lottery of where-and-to-whom-you-were-born.

Even the hostile folks I referenced above admit that illegal immigrants are very hard-working, largely tax-paying people, whose use of federal benefits is much much less than that of legal residents (in other words, they are certainly not here for purposes of being lazy or holding hands out for freebies).

There are lots of hard questions here -- employers depending on illegal immigrants because they're cheap and easy to exploit -- and I wish I had a crystal ball that could tell me how this issue should be handled so as to do the most good for the most people (and I definitely mean "people," and not "U. S. citizens"), but I don't.

(Here's the New York Times saying illegal immigrants are subsidizing Social Security.)

p.s. After posting this, I kept googling in search of statistics and found so much hateful rhetoric that my stomach was turned. It's hard to find plain old numbers. First of all, any statistics about illegal immigrants have to be based to a great extent on guesswork; secondly, what I'm finding on the web is a lot of loudly shouted opinion. I'm a little shaken up, to be honest. It's ugly out there.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

First, for Iavas and Griffin, it's definitely worth the time and trouble to be in this country legally. The benefits are myriad, not least the ability to work at a decent job instead of farm labor or garment industry sweatshops.

I cannot blame the destitute people who risk their lives to cross the border in hope of a better life for their families. Our own ancestors did the same, although for most of them it wasn't illegal at the time they did it. I have sympathy for their plight and admire their courage and determination. If they had a better choice they would take it.

The border between Mexico and the US is about 2000 miles long. We cannot police every mile of it. It is literally impossible. We can't keep drugs out, and we can't keep desperate people out. We've been trying to do both for a long time without notable success.

So what's the solution? Throw open the borders? Accept every poor person in the world who wants to come here? I don't think that will work. We have enough problems of our own and surely our first duty is to our citizens.

We could go after employers, but that is difficult in a number of ways. Most farm labor is hired through contractors who tend to be corrupt and exploitative. This removes much of the risk from the farm owner, who can plausibly claim ignorance of the immigration status of the workers - it's the contractor who hired them, after all. The garment industry exists in the shadows of the law. When La Migra comes, everyone disappears and the business folds. But it reconstitutes the next day under another name. Many illegals work in the cash economy, providing child care and day labor. There is no paper trail for this kind of employment. In larger businesses green cards are required. Naturally there's a brisk business in fake ones, but an employer who has a green card on file can't be prosecuted even if everyone knows - and they do - that the worker is really illegal.

It might be possible to get serious about policing employers - to make them not just photocopy a green card but ensure its validity. It would be politically difficult to do this, but it's the only way I see to make a genuine impact.

All the rest is just talk. We could shoot every third illegal who attempts to cross the border and they would still come. Only if they knew there was no hope of work would they stop. Or if there was hope of a better life at home.

It's not an easy problem.
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

to say we have tried to police the border is simply not true. We have tried in the sense that it is some people's jobs to patrol the border, but it is one of the most hopelessly incompetantly run government agencies. It is simply a token effort, as it's a political issue that NO politician wants to touch.

The only reason Bush is touching it now is becasue he's trying to get republicans back on his side, and this is an issue he's been soft on forever, and probably some poll said it was one of the big reasons republicans aren'te too fond of him.

the poll is correct, but he's said nothing that will change that...
Erunáme

Post by Erunáme »

Teremia - I'm wondering how someone who lacks a valid social security number is able to pay into social security and also pay so much in federal taxes as generally one has to fill out a tax return to do so. It's easy enough to limit the amount of taxes that are withheld from a paycheck.

Honestly, I'm curious as to how it all works. I know many illegal immigrants get fake social security cardss and I'm sure most employers pretend to not realize it's fake...but I just wonder how all the paperwork that must be filled out works.

More students are staging walkouts today. At one school, they're walking along a busy road, backing up traffic...a girl has been injured. They say they are trying to give their relatives who are here illegally a voice. Many kids shown by the cameras seem to be flashing gang signs. :| Forgive my cynism, but to me this looks like a great excuse to skip a day of school.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

nerdanel wrote:I've heard proposals to grant amnesty to Mexican illegal immigrants only, and I'm not sure I understand why they should be given special preference.
I would suspect that the preference would be to the businesses who employ them (not to the immigrants themselves).

Alatar wrote:Even our Taoiseach (Prime Minister) Bertie Aherne made a personal appeal to President Bush on St. Patricks day to consider the impact of this bill on Irish Immigrants working illegally in the US. He appealed that they be given an opportunity to legalise their status, yet nobody is jumping up and down demanding his head for suggesting this.
I would say simply because the number of Irish immigrants coming in doesn't compare to the number of Mexicans coming in, which is perceived as a problem.

Teremia wrote:Sometimes it sounds like Americans are saying, "OUR ancestors snuck into this country early enough that WE'RE legal, and that makes us better than you poor, sneaky Mexicans!"

I don't think those facts (that our ancestors were able to come here legally) are necessarily combined with that attitude. I think people are bothered by immigrants circumventing our laws. We need to re-think our immigration laws and then we need to enforce them. It doesn't make sense to have laws that don't work and because they don't work, ignore them. I don't think that's good for anyone.

Even the hostile folks I referenced above admit that illegal immigrants are very hard-working, largely tax-paying people
Yes, they'd have to be or they'd be replaced with other exploited illegal immigrants who are too afraid to stand up for decent wages or working conditions. :(

I'm interested in what Frelga asked in response to the quote by Sen. Feinstein:
The agriculture industry is "almost entirely dependent on undocumented workers," said Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.
Frelga wrote:Why is that? What would happen if these workers were no longer here to work Californian lettuce and strawberry fields? What would happen to food prices if agricultural industry had to pay minimum wage, health insurance, payroll taxes, sick leave, etc.?
It seems to me there is something very wrong with this picture. If legal agri- and garment workers were paid legal wages and worked in legal conditions, then how many Americans would still be able to afford the food and clothes those workers helped produce?

My understanding is that there is a vast middle America that is struggling financially, not able to afford college for their kids, etc., and living from paycheck to paycheck, and for whom loss of job or medical emergency would mean a drop into the lower class. I would think it is these people who fuel the success of Wal-Mart because they can't afford to pass up the lowest price, and who would set up a loud clamouring if their food prices rose exponentially. I think we have to address the system that keeps these people in the situation that in turn keeps agribusiness and the garment industry in the situation of needing illegal workers to keep the price of food and clothing down.

(But I don't know what I'm talking about, either, so please free to ignore me also.)

There just seems to be so much out of whack in this country right now.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

halplm wrote:to say we have tried to police the border is simply not true. We have tried in the sense that it is some people's jobs to patrol the border, but it is one of the most hopelessly incompetantly run government agencies. It is simply a token effort, as it's a political issue that NO politician wants to touch.
Well, yes and no. I knew a guy who worked for the Border Patrol and I honestly believe he did his best - thing is, he was intensely aware of how futile it all was, at least with the current approaches. My mother lives in southern Arizona, 5 miles from the border with Mexico. It's a biiiiig border. Empty high desert as far as you can see in either direction except for the two little border towns - Bisbee and Naco. My mother goes to a dentist in Naco. A lot of people do. Evidently he's a good dentist and much cheaper than the ones in Bisbee.

We could build a 2,000 mile wall, I guess, and station 20,000 soldiers along it with orders to shoot to kill. I suspect that would stop the traffic, or at least force it to take to the seas. Somehow I don't see it happening.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Eruname, as I understand it, billions and billions of dollars come into Social Security from people using fake numbers who will therefore never collect Social Security themselves. That seemed to be the gist of the articles above. I imagine taxes withheld work somewhat similarly, in that some people have taxes withheld and do not then file taxes for the refund (?).
Cerin wrote:
Teremia wrote: Sometimes it sounds like Americans are saying, "OUR ancestors snuck into this country early enough that WE'RE legal, and that makes us better than you poor, sneaky Mexicans!"
I don't think those facts (that our ancestors were able to come here legally) are necessarily combined with that attitude. I think people are bothered by immigrants circumventing our laws.
Technically you're right: not everyone turns his or her good fortune (in being a legal citizen) into a stick to pummel the next person with. But I was shocked in my late-night web-surfing to see how much hateful bile is being spilled on the subject of immigrants. It is not just a rational "being bothered by people circumventing our laws." It is sometimes, I'm afraid, downright smug, nasty, and racist.

My ancestors came here any which way they could, but it was pretty long ago, so there weren't bloggers around to say they were vile grasping freeloaders. I'm grateful to have been born a citizen of one of the richest countries in the world, but I have to recognize no virtue of mine went into my good fortune. Although I'm as selfish and greedy as the next person, I find it hard to believe in my heart of hearts that other people are less deserving than I am.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Teremia wrote:My ancestors came here any which way they could, but it was pretty long ago, so there weren't bloggers around to say they were vile grasping freeloaders. I'm grateful to have been born a citizen of one of the richest countries in the world, but I have to recognize no virtue of mine went into my good fortune. Although I'm as selfish and greedy as the next person, I find it hard to believe in my heart of hearts that other people are less deserving than I am.
Of course other people aren't less deserving than we! As you say, no virtue of our own went into our being born here.

It isn't a matter of people deserving or not deserving to live here, but of the simple fact that this country can't accommodate, all at once, everyone who wants to come and live here. So we have to have some kind of system for allowing people in. And what would be an equitable system? Allowing people in because they are poorest, or because they live on our unsecured border? Or just letting people in on the basis of who is first in line following the legal procedure? I'm not sure, but I think we need to figure it out, and then enforce the laws that uphold the system we think is best.

I'm sorry you had to come into contact with all of that hateful bile, Teremia.

I think there are legitimate reasons for people to be upset on either side of this issue, and that not everyone who is upset is upset for hateful reasons. On the Lehrer NewsHour last night, you could see how upset both parties were who were propounding opposing views, yet I'm ready to believe that both of those people had legitimate concerns from their differing perspectives.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

A mine field would be cheaper than a wall, if people were really willing to kill to keep illegals out.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Maria wrote:A mine field would be cheaper than a wall, if people were really willing to kill to keep illegals out.
It would, but a big piece of the border is the Rio Grande. I doubt if the people of Texas would be willing to line it with minefields on our side, and I'm sure Mexico wouldn't allow it on their side.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

It kind of confouds me that, given all the abuses Americans seem prepared to tolerate, this is the issue that's got them taking to the streets.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Dave_LF wrote:It kind of confouds me that, given all the abuses Americans seem prepared to tolerate, this is the issue that's got them taking to the streets.
I'm not confounded. People do tend to get more excited when their livelihood is threatened than when their liberties are.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*skims thread*
Teremia wrote: We are not one whit more deserving than our neighbors to the south, who were less lucky in the great lottery of where-and-to-whom-you-were-born.
This sums up my emotional and uneducated opinion on this subject.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Who did or did not enter the US one or two centuries ago is not relevant to the issue today. America is not infinite. At some point the hole fills up.

What that argument boils down to is a complaint that some people were born on the wrong century. Well .... yeah.

Ethel: This removes much of the risk from the farm owner, who can plausibly claim ignorance of the immigration status of the workers

I don't know how ignorant these employers really are. Eru asked how the fake social security number thing works ... any woman who's been through a divorce should have an idea how that works because we have a problem very similar to that of the illegal worker, namely that our SS number does not match our name unless we remembered to change it when we got married and started filing joint returns. The IRS catches this immediately and notifies the person and the employer. (I forgot to do that when I married, and when I divorced I got letters from the IRS about the fact that I do not exist! It took me the longest time to figure out what the problem was - that my SS was still under my maiden name.)

I'm guessing that there's a market for the SS number of dead people, but then you have to use the dead person's name, and ... what? open a bank account in their name? How else would you cash your paycheck? Or maybe they're paid in cash - a clear indication that the employer knows what's up. Then you need a driver's license or some other i.d. in the dead person's name ... so, a whole fraud organization has to be behind this sort of thing. It's organized crime, of a stripe which we simply ignore.

Teremia: as I understand it, billions and billions of dollars come into Social Security from people using fake numbers who will therefore never collect Social Security themselves.

I think that the fact that these people have taxes and FICA withheld from their wages without ever receiving the benefits is one of the best arguments for cracking down on illegal immigration. It's just one more way that these people are exploited for the sake of US profits.

The Senate Bill is sure to undergo changes of language when it hits the floor. But the whole idea of Amnesty just makes me shake my head ... the folly of hoping for A while planning for B ... the attraction of the illegal worker to employers is the absence of benefits or labor law. If those people who are currently employed illegally are made legal workers, the employers will suddenly have to start contributing to SS, to unemployment insurance, etc. and those people will be FIRED and replaced by new illegals. We'll have 12 million unemployed legal immigrants on our hands! No, not 12 million, if Teremia's stats are correct only about 6 millions of them are operating completely outside the system. So 6 million unemployed legal immigrants.

Any bill that does not include RICO-style punishment for the employers who hire illegals, e.g. confiscation of real property, is just going to create a revolving door.

Cerin: I would think it is these people who fuel the success of Wal-Mart because they can't afford to pass up the lowest price, and who would set up a loud clamouring if their food prices rose exponentially.

It's complicated to predict exactly what will happen to food prices if labor laws are enforced. Generally it is true that the overall price level will not rise as long as the Fed or the Treasury does not try to accomodate rising prices in one sector by increasing the money supply throughout the economy.

What happens is that demand for all consumer goods changes. So people will, for example, buy fewer strawberries if the price goes up. The strawberry industry shrinks as a result. People spend their money on something cheaper and that industry expands as a result. Without increases in the money supply, all those changes are ultimately offsetting. Consumption patterns change but the overall expenditures remain the same.

But ... that may or may not represent a decline in standard of living for lower income households. They spend a larger percentage of their income on food, so any increase in the price of food hits their discretionary spending harder than it hits that of a higher income household. The net effect depends on the nature of available alternatives, e.g. whether alternate foodstuffs are available at cheaper prices ... imports, for example.

But there's something else that happens as well. When labor laws are enforced and proper wages are paid, national income is transferred from the business owners (as a class) to labor (as a class). Generally, we get more 'multiplier effects' when this happens ... that is, national income on the whole increases as a result because the lower income households spend a greater percentage of their income as opposed to saving it.

Back in the 1950s, the net affect on national income of class differentials in savings rates was a sort of budding topic of research, but it has been pretty much abandoned here in the US, though it remains of interest to Marxian economists ... I'm familiar with some of this research for Latin America but don't know of any research done on the US economy in recent years.

Anyway, it is not a foregone conclusion that higher wages in agriculture would be bad for the US economy. The counter-argument holds just as much weight, that multiplier effects would cause higher wages in this sector to raise GDP.

Clear as mud, right? :)

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Actually, I understood that! You expressed it very clearly. (and that's saying a lot, as I abandoned first year economics before exam time hit!)

Say, you should consider teaching. ;)
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

:halo:
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If there's one thing that makes me grit my teeth, it is this myth, this fantasy, that food is expensive in North America. It is NOT. While it is true that lower income people spend a larger percentage of their income on food, it is just not that simple.

The farmer who grows food commodities, nearly ANY food commodity, could be paid twice as much as at present and the price of most foodstuffs would only need to go up by a few pennies. For instance, the price the mills pay for flour wheat could be DOUBLED and the actual cost of that doubled price for wheat would only make a two cent difference in the cost of making a loaf of bread.

Sadly, what people refer to as the cost of food is not groceries that you buy at the market and then take home and cook, it is the price of the food that is EATEN, very often at fast food outlets. I don't know the exact figure, but I read recently that up to 1/2 of the food budget of many families is spent on eating out. Even the cheapest McDonald's meal is going to cost more to buy than the equivalent meal prepared at home.

There are many reasons for this appalling situation, chiefly, I would guess, "convenience". Many women work away from home and who wants to cook a meal at the end of a long, tiring day? Prepared food, such as cold breakfast cereals, take-out food, etc., are faster and easier, but the cost!!! Such food is a major cause of the horrible obesity epidemic, it is almost always fatty and/or loaded with sugar.

Cheap labour certainly puts more money in the pockets of the large farmers. The "middleman" is reluctant to pay more for any given commodity, consumers scream bloody murder if they think prices have gone up: yet those same consumers think nothing of spending their food money on crap from fast food outlets.

There are so many aspects to this. One little instance: in poorer neighbourhoods grocery prices tend to be higher than in better off neighbourhoods. Why? Because the poorer people have to use transit or walk to the store, they are a captive market, particularly women with young children. Anyone who has ever schlepped a couple of little kids and their stroller and diaper bags, etc., across town will understand why. Many stores raise prices on "welfare Wednesday", the day the welfare cheques come.

Man, I could go on for hours, but I won't. My heart aches for these people who work so hard for so little. I don't know what the answer is.
Dig deeper.