Arizona Immigration Law

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

The SCOTUS issued a split decision today, upholding the controversial "papers please" provision, but largely gutting the law other than that. From the little I have seen, it sounds like as much of a victory for the administration as they could have hoped for after oral argument. Remember that they were only challenging the law on federal supremecy grounds, not on equal protection grounds. There is a separate lawsuit that is currently winding its way through the courts that challenges the papers please provision on equal protection grounds, and the court apparently acknowledge that challenge in its decision today (I haven't read it).

Supreme Court strikes down most of Arizona immigration law
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I understand the fear of "racial profiling", but at the same time, if you are stopped for some violation or committing a crime, is there a constitutional issue about asking for proof of citizenship or immigrant status?

If it was applied to everyone?

I, personally, think it's wrong of the police to demand "papers", it smacks of the old USSR.

But maybe this is a sort of compromise?
Dig deeper.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

vison wrote:I understand the fear of "racial profiling", but at the same time, if you are stopped for some violation or committing a crime, is there a constitutional issue about asking for proof of citizenship or immigrant status?

If it was applied to everyone?
I think the concern is that it is difficult if not impossible to make sure that it is applied to everyone. E.g., I think the fear is that there will be a spate of pulling over brown (essentially, Latino- or Asian-appearing) drivers for driving 50 in a 45 mph zone, then checking their papers. Yes, technically such people are "violating the law" - but trivial violations that would be overlooked if a white person committed them can be enforced against brown people with the specific-but-difficult-to-prove intent of checking immigration status (rather than neutrally to enforce the underlying law).

There could indeed be a constitutional issue if the law is so enforced, and I am sure that watchdog groups nationally will be watching the Arizona police very, very closely. In rejecting the facial challenge to this provision, Justice Kennedy clarified that the Court was not foreclosing as-applied challenges to the law after it goes into effect.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident