Health Care Reform

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Re: Health Care Reform

Post by Primula Baggins »

But that's exactly why the Republicans drew that line. They don't want to be seen cooperating with Democrats. They ensured that it was impossible.

Or are you saying that the Democrats should be more "flexible" and undermine their entire agenda for the sake of bipartisanship? In other words, agree to do what the Republicans are refusing to do?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Sunsilver wrote:How much a month is the subscription fee?
Per month:
$15 for a child
$65 for an adult under 50
$75 for an adult 50+

With various discounts for couples or whole families.
Cerin

Post by Cerin »

Primula Baggins wrote:But that's exactly why the Republicans drew that line. They don't want to be seen cooperating with Democrats. They ensured that it was impossible.

Or are you saying that the Democrats should be more "flexible" and undermine their entire agenda for the sake of bipartisanship? In other words, agree to do what the Republicans are refusing to do?
No, Prim, I'm not saying the Democrats should work with Republicans to do things they're against. I thought I'd seen the fact of Republicans working alone on their health care replacement plan held up as a point of criticism; I was simply saying that their working alone shouldn't be a point of criticism if it's the Democrats who have (understandably) elected to stay out of the process.

edit punctuation
Last edited by Cerin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avatar photo by Richard Lykes, used with permission.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think (I could be wrong) that Dems would be willing to at least listen to an earnest Replace bill. Obviously if it's just Repeal without Replace, there isn't much of anything to talk about.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I am quite sure that the Democrats are willing to work with the GOP to stabilize the health care markets and ensure that the Cost-Share-Reductions payments are made to the insurance companies, which the law requires, but which the Trump administration keeps threatening not to do, which is the main reason insurance companies have been pulling out of the exchanges. They are not willing to work with the GOP on a replacement plan that guarantees that many millions of people lose insurance. Nor should they.

Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said today that the party should be considering a single payer plan, but that would obviously require a total upheaval of both houses of Congress and the presidency (and maybe the Supreme Court, too).
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Well yes, they would be willing to cooperate on an effort to improve costs and access, as opposed to whatever it is Reps have been trying to do.
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On the @MordorNPS Twitter today

GONDOR CALLS FOR MEDICAID! Have you called your Senator to tell them what you think of the #HealthcareBill? Do it! https://t.co/tQcwTK6gVI

Seriously, guys. If you have a Republican Senator, call them, please.

Eta:
Heller: 202-224-6244
Capito: 224-6472
Portman: 224-3353 or 419-259-3895
Murkowski: 224-6665
Lee: 224-5444
Paul: 224-4343
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

I notice you don't have Collins on that list, since she is the only one in the GOP senate caucus likely to vote no on the motion to proceed without further encouragement.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:I notice you don't have Collins on that list, since she is the only one in the GOP senate caucus likely to vote no on the motion to proceed without further encouragement.

Collins Augusta office (207) 622-8414, DC (202)224-2523, Fax: (202)224-2693

Also, McCain is said to be flying to DC to help repeal the ACA. So disappointed in him.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

I honestly meant she doesn't need any prodding. But maybe thanks for being the only one willing to fimly stand up for her constituents would be in order.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I agree. She is under a lot of pressure and hearing from voters supporting her can only help.

Voronwë the Faithful

I would be shocked if she under the current circumstances voted yes on today's motion to proceed, or on any of the bills that are on the table (which include the bill passed by the House, which is technically what the motion to proceed is on, the revised Senate bill including the Cruz amendment that virtually eliminates protections for those with pre-existing conditions, or the repeal-and-replace-later bill that was passed in 2015 when they knew President Obama would veto it).

The most concerning thing to me is that Sen. McCain returned to Washington in order to vote yes on this motion. That is probably the factor that will put the most pressure on wavering "moderates" who won't want to vote no and make McCain's appearance meaningless. I think the motion will pass. Whether that then leads to any bill actually passing by the Senate, particularly one that can also pass in the House, is more doubtful to me. But it is not impossible, by any means.
Voronwë the Faithful

The motion is almost certainly going to pass. Collins is the only firm no, and most of the others have said that will vote yes, including Heller and Capito. Murkowski still hasn't announced her position, but even if she votes no that will only make it a tie, which Pence would break.

Apparently the latest plan being floated is what is being called a "skinny" repeal that would mostly only repeal the ACA's individual and employer mandates. Never mind that that is completely unworkable, and probably would not pass in the House; it would enable the GOP senators to say that they had passed a "repeal" of "Obamacare".

Disgusting.
Voronwë the Faithful

Murkowski did vote no, but it won't be enough.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

50/50 tie, which Pence will break.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Broken.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Inanna wrote:Broken.
America? (Yes, I understand that you were just confirming that Pence broke the 50/50 tie, but I couldn't resist.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

As soon as I pressed "Send", I knew that someone on this board will make that inference. (Not necessarily you, but someone or the other would have!)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:

It's going to be an interesting few days.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

*years
-The Decemberists