Health Care Reform

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Health Care Reform

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A pretty good (though slanted of course) summary of GOP efforts from 2014 to the present to come up with a replacement for the ACA from the Huffington Post.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/rep ... d304bf448b?

Slanted though the summary may be, it highlights the fact that finding a way to replace the ACA without devastating the lives of many is hard.

Very hard.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Please someone tell me that this is not what the GOP is actually considering!
https://www.americanprogress.org/issues ... will-fail/

"This analysis is based exclusively on numbers from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, or CBO.

Although the congressional majority will claim that the emerging repeal bill represents a simultaneous replacement of the ACA, the math does not add up. Using CBO estimates, the Center for American Progress calculates that the repeal bill will cut the Medicaid expansion by $277 billion over 10 years. To finance new tax credits for health insurance, the repeal bill will likely cut Medicaid—including funding for nursing homes for the middle class—by an additional $370 billion over 10 years.

Even with these massive cuts, the repeal bill will still fall $171 billion short of the funding needed to fully replace the ACA’s exchange subsidies—a shortfall of 26 percent. The average subsidy per recipient could fall from $6,314 under the ACA to $2,703 under the repeal bill—a drop of 57 percent.

To reduce this disparity in subsidy levels, the repeal bill will likely need to increase taxes on tens of millions of workers in the middle class. It would do so while immediately cutting taxes for the wealthy by more than $346 billion over 10 years—giving millionaires an average tax cut of more than $50,000 in 2017 alone. But even with this harsh financing, because the repeal bill will extend tax credits to higher-income individuals, subsidy levels would still be 42 percent lower than under the ACA."
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I read through that and while it's an article focused on the money aspect, it is not clear at all - what is the actual intended replacement? What would the proposed bill offer?
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Who knew?*

Trump: ‘Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated’

*Pretty much everyone other than the new leader of the free world.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

One person who knows a little something about the fractiousness of the GOP caucus doesn't think they will be able to "repeal and replace" the ACA.

Boehner: Republicans won't repeal and replace Obamacare
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

I suspect we're going to end up with a massive and anxiety-inducing rebranding exercise. Hopefully with a better ACA at the end, but I won't keep my hopes up.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

The fact that the committee is deliberately voting on it before the CBO score comes out is very, very telling. The word is that the score is devastating, and they want to be able to say, "But we didn't know it would be that bad!"
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

Dr. Trump
Attachments
16999222_1371743572887385_524767323843124193_n.jpg
16999222_1371743572887385_524767323843124193_n.jpg (115.86 KiB) Viewed 5790 times
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Love it. :D :D
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

uploadfromtaptalk1489160376893.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1489160376893.jpg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 5724 times
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Gay space communism is the best kind of communism.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

All the kewl kids know that, yov.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Only if it's fully automated luxury. Otherwise it's just StarTrek.

Voronwë the Faithful

Setting aside the Space Jam portion, those top three pictures and their captions remarkably well capture my opinion about health care coverage.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't always agree with Paul Krugman, but man does he nail it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/10/opin ... share&_r=0
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Krugman wrote:Which makes you wonder, what’s the point?
Yes, that is exactly what I've been wondering watching this debacle. Far as I can tell, the only answer is "to say that we did something".
-The Decemberists

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Their mantra is "that's what we were elected to do." Does no one remember Contract with America anymore?

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Damn, I'd sure vote for him!

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/it-is- ... -woodshed/

Scroll down to watch video.
Last edited by Sunsilver on Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

To my knowledge, there's no way to get Facebook videos to play on the board. You'd have to send it as a regular link, not a youtube link.
-The Decemberists

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

If Tom loses his job again, I'm going to have to resign myself to going without medical insurance for six years. That is no joke.

And, of course, if Trump is reelected in 2020, there's no guarantee at all that Medicare will still exist in its current affordable form when I do reach 65.