Reincarnation

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

RELIGION RUN AMOK
I wonder if we should consider changing the name of the messageboard to that.

:llama:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sassafras
still raining, still dreaming

Post by Sassafras »

:shock:

:scarey:

:help:

Ever mindful of the maxim that brevity is the soul of wit, axordil sums up the Sil:

"Too many Fingolfins, not enough Sams."

Yes.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I actually quite like the idea of reincarnation...sure, there's a lot of suffering as part of the human condition, but the idea of a soul on a journey, gathering experience and insights and enlightenment over millenia...what a fascinating thought!

I very much like the Hindi concept of karma, that one's actions and choices rebound and one has second, and third, and fourth chances. I don't think at all that those whose souls have reached higher then look down on those who don't - for you never know how karma will rebound and you may be an ant next time round! And what a fascinating concept that is! To have experienced so many different ways of living in the world!

I don't think I believe it, but the idea truly fascinates me and I would be very interested in discussing it one on one with anyone who does truly believe in reincarnation within the framework of one of the ancient religions - Buddhism, or Hinduism or Jain etc
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

truehobbit wrote:And lastly, the idea of reincarnation seems to appeal to people who would like to have been Cleopatra in an earlier life - I mean, no one ever seems to have lived as a humble serf in previous centuries, have they?
One of the hints I've had about a previous life was a horrible, very realistic dream that I was a starving, abused, beaten and generally miserable little boy. I died at about 6 or 7 years old. :( If that was a suppressed memory of a previous life bubbling up... well, I have to say that I like this one a whole lot better!