Patent trolls

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Patent trolls

Post by Ethel »

I'm sorry to keep starting threads. I feel like a thread hog. It's just that I really enjoy the quality and civility of discussion in this forum. :)

Has anyone been following the Blackberry lawsuit? It's about patent infringement, and the current status is that Blackberry (Research In Motion, or RIM) may be enjoined to stop use of its product in the US unless it settles with the litigant. I have been casually reading the news on this because the president of my bank recently got a Blackberry (cell phone & wireless email device). This naturally spurred a round of gadget-envy, and now all the senior managers want one. I have called a moratorium on them, though, until it's clear the little things will actually be usable.

I didn't really understand the issues until I read this article in Slate on Monday. I mean, I knew it was about patent infringement, but I didn't understand how ridiculous and unfair it was. The litigant is now asking for a billion dollars, and in the face of an injunction, RIM may well have to cough it up. Here are some excerpts from the article (I'm sorry it's so long, but it's a complicated matter):
What would happen if a rogue actor managed to get hold of a powerful patent and threatened to detonate it and destroy e-mail as we know it? You'd have the BlackBerry NTP v. RIM case—the tech world's very own Dr. Strangelove. NTP, a one-man Virginia firm, armed with nothing but patents, currently threatens to bring down BlackBerry and with it the sanity of millions of e-mail addicts. A textbook "patent troll," he wants a billion dollars to stand down. What to do?

It is telling that the dilemmas created by software patents today are routinely compared to those created by nuclear arms, with patent trolls playing the role of the nuclear madman. But while it's easy to bash trolls as evil extortionists, to do so may be to miss an important lesson: Patent trolls aren't evil, but rational and predictable, akin to the mold that eventually grows on rotten meat. They're useful for understanding how the world of software patent got to where it is and what might be done to fix it.

Let's start at the beginning—how on earth can a company like NTP, with no other assets, no products, and no employees, get a hold of such important patents in the first place? It's almost like waking up one day to find out that the guy selling hot dogs on Fifth Avenue actually owns the Empire State Building. This is a story in two parts. The first takes us to the U.S. Patent and Trademark office, where well-intentioned but overworked patent examiners are flooded with highly complex patent applications and asked to approve or deny them on deadlines that would make Einstein sweat. The examiners' union calls the PTO a "sweatshop," and no wonder. The examiners, usually recent college graduates, face a variety of pressures, including an internal point system that many say favors speed over accuracy, and applications filed by seasoned professionals, expert in making even the most prosaic "invention" sound like the light bulb.

<The author describes some absurdities, including a recently granted patent for an "antigravity space vehicle".>

It was in this environment that David Stout, co-founder of New Technologies Products, a former examiner and experienced patent lawyer, filed for a series of patents premised on wireless e-mail in the early 1990s. Arguably his patents should never have been granted; the idea of "wireless e-mail" is just too obvious to merit patent. The PTO itself now seems to think it made a mistake, as it is currently in the course of invalidating many of NTP's patents in re-examination proceedings (although probably will be too late to help RIM).

<The author describes how patents for software and other intangibles, even when granted, used to be routinely dismissed in the courts, and how this changed in the 1980's and 90's when Congress concentrated patent appellate cases to a single court.>

The irony of the patent system is that while it's relatively easy to get a patent, the vast majority of the assigned patents are completely worthless. Yet companies like NTP were smart enough to realize that if you played the odds, there might be a billion-dollar case out there somewhere. And NTP got their chance when RIM did what NTP never did: They actually developed and made popular a wireless e-mail product, the now ubiquitous BlackBerry. As University of Chicago professor Douglas Lichtman puts it, "The original inventor maybe invented, but he didn't actually bring the idea into the world."

The company RIM is itself a special kind of tech outsider, known in the business as a "Canadian." Unlike, say, Microsoft, which settles dozens of patent suits every year, RIM took umbrage and a "we don't negotiate with trolls" stance. That might have been principled, but it wasn't smart. After RIM refused to pay NTP for a license, Stout took the Canadians to court in 2001 in his home state of Virginia. RIM proceeded to handle the litigation with a senselessness that is breathtaking in retrospect. Given numerous chances to settle the case for millions of dollars, it balked, cheated at trial, and managed to infuriate federal trial Judge James Spencer. The history of the case almost makes NTP look sympathetic.

Almost.

About the best that might be said of trolls like NTP is that they've inspired a serious patent-reform debate. A growing crowd—including major firms like Amazon, IBM, Intel, Yahoo!, and Microsoft, and academics like Mark Lemley, Douglas Lichtman, Bhaven Sampat, Arti Rai, and others—now advocate some form of major patent reform. They want to fix the PTO to ensure that only the best, truly novel inventions get a patent, and they want to change aspects of patent procedure that currently make harassing litigation too easy. Ex-FCC-chairman Reed Hundt, for example, proposes reducing the number of patents by 90 percent and handing over a lot more money to those overworked patent examiners.

<The author discusses some reform proposals and the difficulties they face.>

Somewhere in patent heaven there's an economic line dividing things that do and don't benefit from patent, and the last decade has provided good evidence that software is on the wrong side of that line. The reason is that the nature of software will always make it hard to draw borders around software inventions—and a property system without clear borders is invariably a disaster. The whole case for property rights generally, as Columbia Law patentista Clarisa Long points out, depends on how hard it is to know when you're trespassing. In the case of real estate, for instance, fences and deed maps make ownership clear. In other areas of intellectual property, we know by the tangible product alone who owns Prozac and who owns Harry Potter. But intangible code is by its nature hard to draw boundaries around. The "measurement costs" of software's boundaries—defining where one algorithm begins and another ends—are inescapably high.

This point about measurement costs is borne out in practice. As anyone in the industry will tell you, and as Ronald Mann has documented, most programmers or firms cannot figure out whether they're infringing software patents or not and simply always assume they are. The point is simple: Property without discernable borders brings all the costs and none of the benefits.

Why, then, does the software industry want patents at all? Software firms, in the main, don't rely on software patent in fundamental ways—they innovate to make a better product. Instead the patents are employed for secondary purposes—like trying to show investors how smart one's engineers are, or sometimes for low-key money-laundering (fake sales of worthless patents can be used to move money around). Many companies keep their patents on display, in a trophy case—realizing that this is their main value. Perhaps large firms hope to use a portfolio of software patents to stall smaller rivals—yet so far the news is all about David using patents to beat up on Goliath, and not vice versa.

In this debate it must be remembered that the regime of easy patenting of software is not natural law but an experiment—a judicial flight of fancy in an area of difficult economic policy. To remain healthy, the U.S. legal system should experiment, but it also needs to recognize when its experiments have failed. Both Congress and the Supreme Court have a chance to do something about the problem this year. The rise of the patent trolls is, in this sense, telling us something—that it may be time to end a system that is doing no one any favors.
So... well... I am appalled. Patent protection is intended to provide an advantage to innovators and entrepreneurs. We seem to have drifted into a realm where we are rewarding people who think up things that might be created in the future in order to extort the companies who actually do the research and development.

Thoughts on this? I know we have some legal minds in the vicinity. (Although I also know that patent law is a narrow specialty.)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm sorry to keep starting threads. I feel like a thread hog.
That's the last thing you should apologize for, Ethel. The threads you have started have sparked some really wonderful discussions. I want to encourage you -- and everyone -- to never be shy about starting new threads. New threads are the lifeblood of the this community. :)

I'll be back later to address the very interesting substantive issues that you raise.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

Enjoyed my first sighting of a new word - patentista. :D
Voronwë the Faithful

My first thought is that the folks at RIM are fools.

My second thought is less charitable.

My third thought is that we need to get Ellienor in here to express her opinion, since this is (I think) her field.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

Ethel, you know I'm a patent attorney. :D You are waving the red flag in front of the bull.

However, I know very little about software patents. I'm a biotech/chemical patent attorney. But some things are part and parcel of being a patent attorney, no matter what your technical specialty is. Part of one's responsibility as a patent attorney is to get your client as broad of claims as possible. Failing to do so can be considered malpractice. In fact, a local firm here in Denver got sued for malpractice and lost for failing to get sufficiently broad claims to a bendable flashlight. The point of this discussion is to illustrate that patent attorneys have the obligation to get broad claims for their clients, and will always push the boundaries. It's part of their obligation to their clients.

I agree with the article's assessment of the patent office. Examining patents is a human enterprise, and errors will be made. It's a particular problem in that examiners are scientists and engineers, NOT LAWYERS, asked to determine whether patent applications comply with U.S. patent laws. I believe that is a lot of the problem right there. They get remedial training in patent law at USPTO, but again, they are not lawyers and they are asked to do what is essentially, legal work.

Another problem is that there is no good way, short of filing a lawsuit, to challenge U.S. patents that should really not have been issued. In Europe they have an opposition procedure that gives a period of time from when a patent is granted for third parties to oppose patents and file evidence for their belief that a patent should not be granted. It helps ensure that overly broad patents don't get out there.

The U.S. has reexamination practice. In other words, issued patents can be reexamined. However, it is an ex parte process (no third parties can participate) and it is high burden to revoke an existing patent--patents are presumed valid. It generally takes a new "reference" or journal article to bring down a patent in a reexamination procedure.

One problem that is particular to the software industry is that it is my understanding that there is no large reservoir of researchers in the field doing research and publishing their findings. For the medical/biotechnical field, there is a huge bank of research writings (see pubmed), and with the publish-or-perish mentality of academia (not to mention the competition for government grants for research), people are always rushing to publish their findings. Thus, it is much more likely that patent examiners can understand what is truly new about a patent application in these fields.

Anyways, my $0.02 worth.
ToshoftheWuffingas

Post by ToshoftheWuffingas »

We even have our own patentista!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

As someone with a bit of (amateur) computer programming experience, I don't even get what kind of sense it makes for a piece of software to be patented. It sounds like copyrighting a genre. Saying someone else can't make a wireless email program because NTP patented it sounds like saying I can't write a detective story because someone already patented detective stories.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Today was a big day for RIM (the BlackBerry company). There was a very real possibility that the judge would allow an injunction against them, but he did not. (I cannot help suspecting he was influenced by the extreme interest of BlackBerry-using government entities in the case.)

There is nothing simple about this case. It's quite apparent that the judge has come to loathe RIM - the BlackBerry people - because of their lies and misrepresentations and failure to settle in the face of a jury verdict that found for NTI. My own suspicion is that the judge wanted to grant the injunction but feared to do so because of all the government departments that depend on BlackBerries.

Yet NTI's suit is, or should be, worthless. NTI is basically one guy, a former patent inspector, who figured out how to game the system. Got some patents approved back in the early 90's with respect to wireless email. Never did any product development. Never had any real interest in doing so. Just figured someone else would get there some day, and he'd be able to extort them.

RIM is the company that actually made wireless email work. With good engineering, and entrepreneurship, and careful investing. The very type of innovation patent protection was intended for.

Still, a jury decided that NTI's vague patents had been infringed. The judge in the case is furious with RIM and eager to have the whole thing over with.

Meanwhile, the US Patent Office is reviewing NTI's patents. They have overturned several of them, including one that was significant in the RIM lawsuit.

The patent office may well disallow all of NTI's overly broad patents. Things appear to be heading in that direction. That won't help RIM, though, if the judge grants an injunction.

All of this is complicated by the fact that Microsoft and HP have RIM in their sights. People want the email devices - my own company not excepted - but they really don't care whether they come from BlackBerry or Hewlett Packard.
Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Never had any real interest in doing so. Just figured someone else would get there some day, and he'd be able to extort them.

This is something I'd like Voronwë or Ellie to comment on if they are able. I thought one had to develop a prototype or blueprint of the device in order to get a patent.

One of my former neighbors was a chemist at ARCo and he worked on product/process development. He told me that it is much easier to get a process patent than a product patent, which means that someone else can come along later and make the same product using a different process. Product patents are very difficult to obtain because they mean that the product cannot be patented by someone else even if it is engineered differently.

This does not jive with what seems to be happening in the RIM v NTI case. I don't know how NTI could get a patent on an idea without demonstrating in the first place how it would be engineered. At the very least the patent office would have to determine whether it was the product or the process that deserved the patent, wouldn't they?

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:My first thought is that the folks at RIM are fools.
Oh, without a doubt. There was a point at which RIM could have settled the matter for a couple million dollars. Now it's likely to cost them half a billion or more.
Ellienor wrote:Ethel, you know I'm a patent attorney. :D You are waving the red flag in front of the bull.
Silly me! I had forgotten. What a curious wealth of knowledge there is at this board. :)

For what it's worth, the USPTO has been reexaminining NTP's patents, and it looks like they intend to revoke all of them.

http://www.betanews.com/article/USPTO_R ... 1138840885
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office dealt a major blow to NTP on Wednesday by rejecting a key patent at the center of the company's dispute with Research In Motion. The non-final rejection covers five of the seven patent infringement claims against RIM, which could be forced to shut down its BlackBerry service.

A separate patent covering the other two infringement claims has also been preliminarily rejected by the USPTO. The rulings give RIM a legal basis to challenge NTP's push to have a judge enforce an injunction against the company. However, final decisions from the USPTO could be months away.
http://www.betanews.com/article/NTP_Pat ... 1140639487
The United States Patent and Trademark Office said that it had found one of the five wireless e-mail patents owned by NTP invalid, and issued a final rejection notice to the patent holding company on Wednesday. The agency had previously rejected all five of NTP's patents in non-final rulings.
It's hard to find detailed explanations of the patents in question. The summaries I have read make them sound like they cover ideas and software rather than products and technical processes. This is apparently why the USPTO is reviewing them - because they are considered in retrospect to be too broad.

There are other ironies here. Apparently what decided NTP to bring the lawsuit against RIM was the fact that RIM was suing other companies for patent infringement!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Oh, without a doubt. There was a point at which RIM could have settled the matter for a couple million dollars. Now it's likely to cost them half a billion or more.
But if the NTP patents get invalidated, they will have lost nothing but time and court costs and in the process have done something pretty noble by standing up to the NTP BS. I'm certainly rooting for RIM.

*yov, who's off to patent the idea of a flying car*
-The Decemberists

Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Jnyusa wrote:Never had any real interest in doing so. Just figured someone else would get there some day, and he'd be able to extort them.

This is something I'd like Voronwë or Ellie to comment on if they are able. I thought one had to develop a prototype or blueprint of the device in order to get a patent.
It's more complicated than I made it sound. (I've been doing some more reading.) Tom Campana, the founder of NTP, once owned a pager business. He developed software that made it possible to send text messages over the pagers. He foresaw the possibility of email over paging devices, and came close to forging an alliance with AT&T to do this. He seems to have been a bad businessman, however, and his paging company folded. He was left with only its intellectual property, which included patents regarding wireless email. He died in 2004. This lawsuit is being pursued by his business partner, Donald Stout, a patent lawyer and former patent office examiner. (In effect Don Stout is NTP at this point. They have no employees, no assets, no R&D, no manufacturing capacity.)

Again, it's difficult to find precise detail about these patents, and they are all apparently on the point of being rejected by the USPTO. (NTP argues that this is because of lobbying on the part of RIM, and there appears to be some truth to that. BlackBerries are very popular in government circles.)

The most complete account I have found of this matter is [url=
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... M2006/home]here[/url]

A few excerpts:
An obscure patent case that could have been settled for a few million bucks has morphed into a billion-dollar dagger hanging over RIM, an enigma for investors and a distraction for legions of hooked BlackBerry users. A U.S. judge has threatened to shut down RIM's BlackBerry network next month for violating a handful of a dead man's patents -- patents that U.S. authorities now concede may not be worth the paper they're printed on.
From the outset, RIM and its lawyers didn't seem to take NTP seriously. The company was convinced NTP's patents were junk because they codified technology that was already widely in use by RIM and countless others. In legal jargon, NTP's patents were "prior art," and therefore invalid.

RIM's case hinged on proving that Mr. Campana's patents were not valid because other people had already invented wireless e-mail by the time he applied for his patents in 1991. One of RIM's key witnesses was David Keeney, whose company TeckNow had mastered an e-mail process called System for Automated Messages, or SAM, in 1987.

To prove his point, RIM's lawyers had Mr. Keeney perform a dramatic demonstration for the jury. Using two old laptop computers and a pager, he explained how he could send a text message using SAM. Then he typed "Tommy, the deal is closed" which quickly appeared on the pager.

The demonstration was crucial for RIM because it proved that Mr. Keeney's work had predated Mr. Campana's by at least four years and it made his 1991 patents invalid.

The only problem was that to get the demonstration to work, TeckNow and RIM had secretly swapped in newer software. NTP's lawyer spotted the discrepancy and cornered Mr. Keeney and RIM officials during cross-examination. After a few more minutes of struggling to explain how the newer version was installed, Judge Spencer cut Mr. Keeney off and told the jury to leave the room.
That's where RIM screwed the pooch. It's why the jury found against them. And it's why, even if the USPTO decides against NTP, it may not matter. The US legal system has found for them.
Through arrogance, blunder and bad advice, RIM's potential bill had shot up from a few million dollars before the trial to roughly $20-million when its case headed south at trial, to now hundreds of millions of dollars.

The endgame isn't over. Legal experts still expect RIM will have to cough up hundreds of millions of dollars to end its nightmare. Even with most of NTP's patents in technical disrepute, the U.S. justice system has made them legally valid.
The article ends with this:
"There's a tremendous amount of innovation and hard work that goes into taking an idea and realizing it and then making it into a product," Mr. Lazaridis [RIM's founder] says defiantly. "There are 16 million lines of code in BlackBerry. Sixteen million. It's hard to imagine 16 million lines of code. They all have to work in harmony and perfection to make this thing do its job. Are you trying to tell me that one little concept is more important than another little concept, and that it didn't take man-years and man-years of effort to make all that stuff work?"
Despite their bad behavior in the lawsuit, despite their stupidity in not settling early, my sympathy is still with RIM. Maybe it's because of my years in Silicon Valley. My sympathy will always be with the people who built the product and made it work. There's no question that RIM built the BlackBerry on their own, without reference to (or even awareness of) NTP's patents. To me, that says something important about the patents.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

yovargas wrote:
But if the NTP patents get invalidated, they will have lost nothing but time and court costs and in the process have done something pretty noble by standing up to the NTP BS. I'm certainly rooting for RIM.
Unfortunately, yov, it's not that simple. The judge in the case has ordered RIM to settle, and has indicated that he has no intention of waiting for the USPTO to complete its review. Even if, as appears likely, the USPTO invalidates all of the NTP patents in the case, a US jury trial has still found for the plaintiffs. That gives the patents the force of law even if they are overturned.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Wait!

So...the patent office overturns the patents, effectively stating that the basis for the patents was invalid.

Ergo, no patents.

But the court has found against RIM and for NTP...so the patents will stand no matter what the patent office says and NTP will be able to enforce their non-existent patents in future?

Is that how it works? So now, it's not just a matter of a patent, it is a matter of law and precedent?
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Wait again!

A judge can order someone to settle?? From my understanding, "settle" means to come to an agreement between themselves. How can a court order two parties to agree? If they can do that, why even bother with courts??

*confused*
-The Decemberists

Jnyusa

Post by Jnyusa »

Appeals process, coming right up?

Jn
A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell.
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

Impenitent wrote:Wait!

So...the patent office overturns the patents, effectively stating that the basis for the patents was invalid.

Ergo, no patents.

But the court has found against RIM and for NTP...so the patents will stand no matter what the patent office says and NTP will be able to enforce their non-existent patents in future?

Is that how it works? So now, it's not just a matter of a patent, it is a matter of law and precedent?
Maybe. The judge in the case is very pissed off with RIM. But I'm sure he is also aware of the intense government interest in BlackBerries continuing to work. And also that the USPTO is reviewing, and probably denying, the NTP patents in question.

But yes, at the end of the day it's a matter of law and precedent. Even if the Patent Office disallows all the patents in question, it may not make a difference. A jury found patent infringement. It will not be easy to set that aside.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Aaaa I read this as parent trolls....
Ethel
the Pirate's Daughter

Post by Ethel »

yovargas wrote:Wait again!

A judge can order someone to settle?? From my understanding, "settle" means to come to an agreement between themselves. How can a court order two parties to agree? If they can do that, why even bother with courts??

*confused*
He can't force them to do it, no, but he has suggested it very strongly - and hinted that he might yet be open to granting the injunction that NTP requested if they do not. That's a pretty big hammer to be holding over RIM.

Jnyusa wrote:Appeals process, coming right up?
The case is already in the appeals court, and the Supreme Court declined to review it.

Padme wrote:Aaaa I read this as parent trolls....
And all their little trolls...
Voronwë the Faithful

Settlement Reached in BlackBerry Dispute

BlackBerry Patent Battle Ends With $612.5 Million Settlement
NEW YORK Mar 3, 2006 (AP)— Research In Motion Ltd., the maker of the BlackBerry e-mail device, Friday announced it has settled its long-running patent dispute with a small Virginia-based firm, averting a possible court-ordered shutdown of the BlackBerry system.

RIM has paid NTP $612.5 million in a "full and final settlement of all claims," the companies said.

The settlement ends a period of anxiety for BlackBerry users. At a hearing last week, NTP had asked a federal court in Richmond, Va., for an injunction blocking the continued use of key technologies underpinning BlackBerry's wireless e-mail service.

At the hearing, Judge James R. Spencer expressed impatience with RIM and urged a settlement.

"He basically questioned the sanity of RIM, and said it wasn't acting very rationally," said Rod Thompson, patent attorney at Farella, Braun and Martel in San Francisco. "His prodding of the parties worked."

The settlement is on the low end of expectations, Thompson said, especially since RIM will not have to pay any future royalties. There had also been talk of NTP receiving a stake in RIM.

RIM, which is based in Waterloo, Ontario, had already put away $450 million in escrow, the amount of a settlement in 2004 that later fell apart. RIM will record the additional $162.5 million in its fourth-quarter results, it said.