Does MLKing hold any modern relevance?

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
sauronsfinger

Does MLKing hold any modern relevance?

Post by sauronsfinger »

Today, Monday January 16, the USA stops for a national holiday honoring the birth of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He would have been 77 years of age this week. Few communities will do anything of substance outside of giving people the day off. Dr. King died in 1968 at a time when the Civil Rights movement was in crisis and badly divided over goals, strategies and tactics. King had just written an essay which was expanded into a book "Where Do We Go From Here- Chaos or Community?". That question has never been answered.

There is no doubt that Dr. King is a giant historical figure and one of the most important Americans who changed the nation in the 20th century. It is difficult to imagine a modern American nation without the many changes that he was so instrumental in helping to bring about.

Once we go beyond the historical importance of Dr. King and remember the sad fact that he has been dead for 38 years, if brings up another question. Is Dr. King still a relevant figure in the 21st century?

Your thoughts and input are appreciated.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

SF, this isn't fully a direct response to your question, but...

Normally, I am amused by all these holidays that give us three day weekends, because most of us don't do anything relevant to the holiday itself, we just are happy to have a day off, which seems kind of meaningless. All the more so, because I grew up in the great Southern state of Virginia, which throughout my childhood did not have Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - but Lee-Jackson-King Day...you have to admit, Virginia NEVER fails to bring the irony. There were years when I felt we were remembering Lee more than King.

This time, though, I've been thinking about MLK all week. I keep thinking about how I grew up hearing that he'd used his life to the fullest, how he'd really been one of the people who gave meaning to the phrase "use your life to make a difference." That is indisputably true. I feel the utmost admiration for him. I have viewed him as an inspiration since, well, kindergarten.

At the same time, though, I feel so much anger that, in a sense, he had to waste his life - if you'll pardon the expression - fighting for a form of basic equality that should already have been his birthright. Who knows what such a great man might have done with his life if he did not have to spend it fighting to overcome heinous laws and prejudices that held him back. I feel so much anger that if he and all the others who stood with him across the country had not been willing to step up to that challenge, the racial minorities of my generation would have been deprived that same form of basic equality. (some do not realize that Hispanics, Asian-Americans, and other minorities faced much of the same segregation under local and state laws as did African-Americans)
Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
Dr. King began his "I have a dream" speech by pointing to Abraham Lincoln's vision (Emancipation Proclamation) and explaining the work that had yet to be done due to "the tragic fact that the Negro is still not free." We might say the same today. Dr. King's dream has not been realized.

People's right to live free of discrimination and with respect, regardless of their innate attributes...people's right to pursue happiness without harming others...these things still have not been established fully, whether as a matter of law or a matter of principle. Even though I speak of a broader concept than the one Dr. King was fighting for, I think the broader concept is necessary to realize his dream.
Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:I have a dream that one day the state of Alabama...will be transformed into a situation where little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls and walk together as sisters and brothers.
First of all, even this dream as literally written - that children can come together and join hands with no regard to race - is not universally true across America. Second, the ideal of the dream - of children and adults coming together with mutual respect despite their differences - is still eons away from being realized here. Oh yes, Dr. King is still relevant today, in an America where people must still give their lives to fight for the equality that should have been their birthright.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
truehobbit
Cute, cuddly and dangerous to know

Post by truehobbit »

I think all people who can set an example for us for how to work actively and peacefully towards a better, more humane and peaceful world, are relevant for us today.

People who remind us that life is not about getting ahead of others and making money or about dominating and suppressing others.

People who decide to do the right thing in spite of great personal costs.

People who refrain from violence in spite of attacks and solve problems with patience and steadfastness.

It's just good to see such people appear from time to time, too - gives a person reason to hope that not all is lost for humankind.
At the same time, though, I feel so much anger that, in a sense, he had to waste his life - if you'll pardon the expression - fighting for a form of basic equality that should already have been his birthright. Who knows what such a great man might have done with his life if he did not have to spend it fighting to overcome heinous laws and prejudices that held him back.
I don't know, tp - what do you think he would have been?
I think he would have remained an unknown preacher. A happy, contented family-man maybe, which is of course good for him, too.
But I think he rose to the occasion - without the occasion, there would have been no call for him to do anything great.

Btw, who's Lee Jackson? :scratch:
but being a cheerful hobbit he had not needed hope, as long as despair could be postponed.
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Robert E. Lee

And

Stonewall Jackson

And
Virginia NEVER fails to bring the irony
This is so true.
nerdanel
This is Rome

Post by nerdanel »

Hobby, for further clarification:

Robert E. Lee was the general-in-chief of the Confederate Army during the Civil War, a man who owned some slaves himself, and someone who expressed the following view in a letter to his wife:
Robert E. Lee wrote:It is useless to expatiate on its [slavery's] disadvantages. I think it however a greater evil to the white man than to the black race, & while my feelings are strongly enlisted in behalf of the latter, my sympathies are more strong for the former. The blacks are immeasurably better off here than in Africa, morally, socially & physically. The painful discipline they are undergoing, is necessary for their instruction as a race, & I hope will prepare & lead them to better things. How long their subjugation may be necessary is known & ordered by a wise Merciful Providence.
Particular among "The South will rise again!" types in Virginia, Lee is still considered to be a hero. He was indeed a native Virginian aristocrat.

"Stonewall" Jackson was a lieutenant-general of the Confederate Army during the Civil War, one of Lee's right-hand men. He too was a native Virginian (born in what is now West Virginia). I'm not sure whether he owned any slaves.

There is a painful irony in honoring two military leaders of the Confederacy - white men who condoned or supported slavery and the inequality of the races and fought on behalf of a would-be nation that was formed to protect "states' rights" to permit slavery - at the same day as Martin Luther King, Jr., a black man who fought to overcome the painful legacy of American slavery. At some point, Virginia entered the 21st century; it decided in 2000 to celebrate Lee's and Jackson's "contributions" on a different day than Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.
I won't just survive
Oh, you will see me thrive
Can't write my story
I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

:oops: I should have expanded my explanation. Thanks TP for your explanation.

BTW....the irony in my life is my RL is Virginia. My step father is Robert E. Lee. I kid you not. And we are Yankees....our families were in Penn and NY during the Civil War.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I have always considered Virginia to be beautiful and enchanting.

Nice state also.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Ah an adoring worshiper. :bow:

Back to thread topic.

I believe that MLK does have revelance today, more so than even before. Racsim has not stopped and I think that the (ok not so PC here) attitude that is prevelant in todays black inner city culture would have broken Dr. Kings heart. As an outsider and as a white person I am probably way off, but to me it seems like all the good he and Rosa Parks and even Malcom X did is not only being destroyed by whites, but also is being destroyed by the black inner city attitudes of education is a bad thing, that speaking correct english is a bad thing, that showing up dressed well for a job is a bad thing. That its a good thing to father babies by 'ho's', and to have my babies daddy be the biggest pimp daddy out there. I don't understand how Black women can stand to be called ho's and other equally degrading names. And I don't understand how doing that makes it better for blacks in America. I don't understand how running drugs is a better choice. I hear all the time the 'from southern ropes to northern dope' and I think he was right on the money with that statement, sadly.

I do understand how the white culture does continue to not aid or help in many things to forward the equalization of the nation. I have seen that in New Orleans. I think if Katrina would have it New Hampshire and it was a exclusive country club with 500,000 people, well it would be rebuilt by now. I see Katrina relief as not only racist but also classists (if thats a word).
Hachimitsu
Formerly Wilma

Post by Hachimitsu »

Padme wrote:Ah an adoring worshiper. :bow:

Back to thread topic.

I believe that MLK does have revelance today, more so than even before. Racsim has not stopped and I think that the (ok not so PC here) attitude that is prevelant in todays black inner city culture would have broken Dr. Kings heart. As an outsider and as a white person I am probably way off, but to me it seems like all the good he and Rosa Parks and even Malcom X did is not only being destroyed by whites, but also is being destroyed by the black inner city attitudes of education is a bad thing, that speaking correct english is a bad thing, that showing up dressed well for a job is a bad thing. That its a good thing to father babies by 'ho's', and to have my babies daddy be the biggest pimp daddy out there. I don't understand how Black women can stand to be called ho's and other equally degrading names. And I don't understand how doing that makes it better for blacks in America. I don't understand how running drugs is a better choice. I hear all the time the 'from southern ropes to northern dope' and I think he was right on the money with that statement, sadly.
I truly do not understand that either. Personally I would never tolerate being called a ho. :roll: On the TV at home my sister has even deleted BET off the channel cue so if you are flipping channels it's skipped. I simply just can't relate. (To be very honest I find it dissapointing when people first meet me they instantly assume I am like that. :( ) I have a whole long list of other issues, but they definitely are not PC and I will probably hold off on stating them at this point.

I never knew about Lee and Jackson. :shock: Thanks TP
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I have a whole long list of other issues, but they definitely are not PC and I will probably hold off on stating them at this point.
Wilma, I really, REALLY hope that at some point you will state them. I would really value your perspective on some of these difficult issues.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Old_Tom_Bombadil
friend to badgers – namer of ponies

Re: Does MLKing hold any modern relevance?

Post by Old_Tom_Bombadil »

sauronsfinger wrote:Few communities will do anything of substance outside of giving people the day off. Dr. King died in 1968 at a time when the Civil Rights movement was in crisis and badly divided over goals, strategies and tactics.
Dr. King didn't just "die", he was assassinated. There's a pretty big difference between the two. Despite the efforts of those who sought to silence him, Dr. King's message of peace and equality live on.
sauronsfinger wrote:Is Dr. King still a relevant figure in the 21st century?
I definitely think he is. Will his dream ever be realized? Based on what I know of the history of mankind and the portent that holds for our future, no. I fear that there is far too much hate and bigotry, ignorance and intolerance, and it is far too strong for it to ever be overcome. That may sound cynical or pessimistic, but it's not, it's just realistic. That doesn't mean that a few of us, however, cannot hold onto that vision and live it in our lives despite how others choose to live.

I did celebrate MLK Jr. day in my own quiet and (mostly) private way. I read and listened to his speech on the web-- I Have a Dream--and discussed it with others on another message board I frequent.

I don't have children, but if I did I feel it is important that we share these ideals and these visions with them, and teach them to put them into practice on a day-to-day, moment-to-moment basis. I would hope this is going on in our communities, especially our African-American communities, but as Padme states I fear these positive role models are overwhelmed by the idolization of gangstas, pimps, and hoes perpetuated by our pop culture.