Myers-Briggs, redux

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Myers-Briggs, redux

Post by Frelga »

I think that still adds you to the group. If you want to retake the quiz, either delete the cookies, or use the group link from a different phone or browser (but then I think you'll be there twice).
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Openness to experience
100 out of 100
Agreeableness
100 out of 100
Conscientiousness
25 out of 100
Negative emotionality
29 out of 100
Extraversion
25 out of 100

So I’m a flexible, agreeable, irresponsible, yet emotionally stable introvert. Sounds about right.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I was amazed by this. I'm an INFP, a rare MBTI type.

This quiz nailed me with just 4 questions!

Sooo, now I'm curious to know if it works for other people!
Attachments
MBTI.jpg
MBTI.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 3033 times
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ok, but my answer to all these questions is, it's complicated.

Possibly why I often test at 50% on each letter.
:blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Do many adults "play sports"?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Judo is a sport. Participants are called players. We refer to it as playing judo.
So, yes, over 20 million people in the world play the sport of judo. I don't know what the breakdown of adults vs children is, but that's still a lot of people.

edit: And the short version of the test doesn't work for me. :(
N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

There are 5.5 billion adults, so 20 million is 0.036%. There are lots of other sports adults play, of course, but I wonder if the total comes to even 1%. If the question asked how many people get regular physical exercise, it would be much higher.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

N.E. Brigand wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:37 pm Do many adults "play sports"?
Define adult. :P Anyway, my husband was on the softball team this fall.

But I suspect this is aimed at a slightly younger demographic.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Perhaps it is not intended to be, but that is quite insulting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

I have quite a few adult friends who play tennis, squash or pickle ball. Others have played pickup basketball, floor hockey etc. My niece's husband plays in an adult hockey league, as does the husband of a friend. He also plays flag football in the warmer months.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

And the answer is : one in four play sports.
https://media.npr.org/documents/2015/ju ... thpoll.pdf
Or at least that was the percentage in 2015
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I would imagine that quite a few adults play some sport, even if just for fun. Tennis, volleyball, soccer, basketball, badminton, pickleball, bowling, various softball and baseball leagues. This is not counting sports that we usually don't think of as playing, like running, swimming, biking, etc. Our cousin runs Iron Man, does that count?

I may have continued doing martial arts, if I didn't break my foot back when.

Speaking of, Mr. Frelga's employer has a skeet shooting team that is open to spouses, but he talked me out of trying it. He says recoil would break my shoulder. Granted, it's been about 30 years since I shot a rifle, but is it really that bad?

X-posted with Maria

N.E. Brigand

Post by N.E. Brigand »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:16 pm
Perhaps it is not intended to be, but that is quite insulting.
No perhaps about it: it was not intended to be insulting. Ignorant perhaps, but as I will note: ignorance from experience. I'm sorry it reads as insulting to you, but I don't see how it's any different than asking, for instance, "Do many adults 'fly airplanes'?" if there had been a question on the quiz about that. Only about 0.042% of adults are pilots. I don't know anyone who is currently a pilot. (My former boss used to be a pilot, but he gave it up.) I don't know anyone who currently plays sports, unless we're counting golf (I don't play golf), and even there, the few golfers I know do so perhaps four times a year. Does that count? I play wallyball once a year, the sum total of my personal adult sports experience since college. (I did some intramural sports like flag football then.) That doesn't count, right? My experience is just one person's perspective, but it's not nothing. I was trying to get at why a four-question test meant to identify different personality types would ask about something for which almost all respondents, as far as I can guess, would answer "no."

Edited before posting to note the information provided by Maria: 25% of American adults play sports. Maybe I have a very unusual circle of family, friends, and coworkers filled only by the other 75%? But that 25% includes fishing. I ride my bike or go for a hike once or twice a week. I wasn't counting that as "sports" when asking my question. Should I have been? Because it certainly seems more like sports than fishing! "Sports" to me means competition. Are most people who fish engaged in tournaments?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I could respond further, but I don't think it would be productive to do so.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

The term 'play sports' is pretty broad. When I hear the word 'sports' I think competitive rather than activity for exercise &/or pleasure. A lot of adults I know are on leagues; tennis, bowling, darts, softball, baseball, hatchet throwing (yeah, I guess that is a thing). Personally I hike/walk, bike, and pre-COVID I used to swim a lot. While I consider swimming a 'sport' I wouldn't consider my mile 3-5x per week a sport because I do not compete.
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

On this topic, I just walked by a pub-type place where people played that bag toss game. They were maybe in their 40s/50s. I would say that counts as playing sports.

Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The local Legion has a league for that sport (Corn hole.) There's also a darts league and, during warm months, people play horseshoes.
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Frelga wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:50 am Speaking of, Mr. Frelga's employer has a skeet shooting team that is open to spouses, but he talked me out of trying it. He says recoil would break my shoulder. Granted, it's been about 30 years since I shot a rifle, but is it really that bad?
This product helps a lot with that.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/past-fi ... oil-shield

And I don't think fishing counts as exercise, even if lots of people call it a sport.

I don't play any sport, btw. I do a lot of things that count as exercise, but it's always something that needs doing, not something I'm playing at.

Maybe there's a spectrum of games----> hobbies ----> work and the differences are a sliding scale of necessity vs fun?
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I take that back. This looks like a whole lot of exercise!
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Dictionary entry:
sport | spôrt |
noun
1 an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:
By definition, I don't think 'it' (playing sports) has to be exercise or exertion so much as it needs to be competitive. I wonder if that is what the (shortened) MBTI test is getting at (competitive or no). However many people who participate in such sports (such as bowling, etc..) do so more for the social aspect.
My heart is forever in the Shire.