Myers-Briggs, redux

The place for measured discourse about politics and current events, including developments in science and medicine.
Maria
Hobbit

Re: Myers-Briggs, redux

Post by Maria »

This past weekend, I met my son's girlfriend (first one he's told us about in almost a decade) ... and I kept wishing I dared to ask her what her type was! Just so I could predict whether they'd actually stay together or not. And that's stupid and I know it... but I worry about him being alone so much.

And now he won't be. :) But since he's an INTJ, the Kiersey book says he'd go with an NF much better than any other sort. And I couldn't tell during our brief interaction what her type is. :bang: And I managed not to ask, so marvel at my restraint. :P :D

I suppose it will become apparent later on.... but I want to know NOW! :roll:
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Maria wrote:But since he's an INTJ, the Kiersey book says he'd go with an NF much better than any other sort.
While I think the reasoning behind the pairings stuff made decent sense, it's good to keep in mind that it is a veeeeeeeery general guideline and that people from any types can form great long-lasting relationships.

For me, as another INTx, I have no idea if NFs would be "best" for me, but I have noticed that I tend to be most attracted to SPs. Of course, what's attractive and what's good for you aren't always necessarily the same.....
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Hey, I know I really shouldn't place much reliance on that... my own husband is an ISTP. Quite physical and his eyes tend to glaze over when abstract concepts come up. We still get along great.

But it was in a book! It must be true! :salmon: *whops self with fish*
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Well, it'll be fun to see if you can figure her type out as you get to know her better.
Yes, we are ruled by emotional responses, but we would REALLY like that rampant messiness to be organized, thank you very much.
It's that darn J. ;)
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I find this vaguely disconcerting. It's not like people have a physical, objective type that one can discover, like a secret tattoo. I do see a value in observing people and noticing if they are more likely to respond to emotional or logical approach, for example, but it also helps to remember that the answer will vary by situation.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Maria wrote: But it was in a book! It must be true! :salmon: *whops self with fish*
:rofl:

Frelga wrote:I find this vaguely disconcerting. It's not like people have a physical, objective type that one can discover, like a secret tattoo. I do see a value in observing people and noticing if they are more likely to respond to emotional or logical approach, for example, but it also helps to remember that the answer will vary by situation.
True, that. And does an "F" respond better to an emotional approach, if I am reading your example correctly? I thought the "F" or "T" designation came from the response to a situation, not the presentation of it.

I am, personally, much more a "T" at work, and able to handle situations there (even involving people! even people I care about!) much more in my head than my heart. In fact, "logical" is a descriptive I get tossed my way a lot at work. I have people consistently comment that I am kind (we have anonymous evaluations from our peers at the end of the year), and I am glad of that, but I always get "calm in a crisis, able to handle complex situations logically", etc., too.

In fact, I am nowhere else nearly as "F"- like as I am on messageboards. :) Can I be an "F" sometimes and a "T" others?
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Can I be an "F" sometimes and a "T" others?
Yes, of course. I think that's part of the objection some have to this classification system (or one of them, anyway). We all have the capability of responding in various ways depending on the situation (or our health, our hormones, our sleep deprivation, our perceptions, our training, etc.). It's why MBTI is just a loose guideline. I can be very T as well. I lived that way for decades, suppressing my F because I needed the T to survive. During that time, you all saw way more of my F than anyone else in RL, like anthy states above. I've got my F flag flying now, though, and I'm much more at peace with myself.

As far as determining whether two types will stay together, I think that's kind of impossible. People and relationships are way more complicated than that. I think you can identify some potential areas of conflict, as well as harmony, but you can't say an INTJ won't make it with an INTP. It could work; it might take more work than with another type, but you just don't know.

I have a thing for I/ESFJs. As an INFP, that's not really supposed to be the type I'm drawn to, but my brain didn't read the book. The vast majority of important, very close people in my life fall into this designation.
anthriel
halo optional

Post by anthriel »

Mr. Anth is an ESTP. In other words, everything opposite from me. And I'm crazy about him. :love:
"What do you fear, lady?" Aragorn asked.
"A cage," Éowyn said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

I've seen people people who say they are borderline I/E or J/P.

I think I maybe be borderline S/N. Otherwise why would I spend 16 hours a day on weekends needle felting and listening to audiobooks? I get bored when I just needlefelt, and I get restless when I'm just listening to audiobooks.

Put the two together, though, and I get absorbed for hours at a time. However, it has to be creative work. I spent several hours yesterday going through the wool and pulling out the fibers that were too coarse or too white for what I wanted to do, and I was distinctly unhappy with the task after just a couple of hours. Whereas if I'm actually making a thingy, I get lost in the story and the work until physical needs break me out of the trance.

So, it's possible I'm an I s/n FP. Keirsey calls the ISFP "the composer", which is part of the Artisan temperament group. Perhaps that's why I felt so.... freed when I finally stopped making utilitarian things out of wool and started making little sculptures out of it. There is significant cultural pressure to only make things that are useful or at least salable. Now that I'm ignoring that and making things that please me, I'm happier.

I think I've been suppressing the Artisan side of myself for a very long time.

And perhaps this whole personality type thing is too simplistic for everyone. :help:
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I do think it's best used as a general guide. We are all free to utilize the opposite functions, and many of us actually enjoy pushing the boundaries of our personalities. I don't know. Sometimes it's good to know why your natural tendency is one thing and accept that about yourself, but sometimes it's good to push yourself out of your comfort zone. I guess it's a fine line.
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I've always considered the best thing about M-B is the opportunity it affords to say, Ah ha! I'm not freakishly unique!

Posting on phone via Tapatalk
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I would agree with that, too, Impy.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

So here's a personality test supposedly backed by science. I find that a slightly weird caveat when at the end it feels extremely similar to MBTI. And the MBTI ended up feeling much more accurately and deeply descriptive of who I am. But who am I to argue with science!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/personality-quiz/

eta - I see that Lali had posted a very similar test a couple pages back so this is redundant but since I had totally forgotten about that then I can pretend it's brand new!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Interesting write-up. :) I particularly liked this part for my low extroversion score:
Some scientists think low extraversion has protected humans from disease — you can’t pick up a bug from people if you avoid people. And one study even found a lower prevalence of extraversion in places where contagious diseases were historically common. One of the best bits of advice for the less extraverted is to find spaces where they get to live the way they want and where their personalities are valued. That’s probably why being less extraverted is correlated with choosing, and excelling at, jobs that require working alone. And there is a higher prevalence of introverts in the American West. Have you considered a career in ranching?
I would love to have a ranch, btw. Hundreds of acres....... with just me and my husband and our animals. :love:

Of course, by the time we can retire from our day jobs, we'll be too old to work a ranch. So- small hobby farm for us.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

My profile was roughly the same shape as the average 538 staffer.

Might be why I enjoy that site so much. It's manned by my type of people...
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I didn't much like the questions, as they seemed so subjective, but I must admit that the result came out pretty accurate sounding.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now, could everyone go take it again from this link https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/pe ... __ufsHiI1U to create the HoF profile?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I felt my score was too high on extraversion (70 on 100).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Heh... I got even lower on the extroversion scale that time. How will you retrieve the group data later?

There is a marked tendency in my father's side of the family to become less and less social the older we get. I wonder what physical trait drives that progression?
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

The link didn't give me the option of taking the quiz again, but instead displayed a set of results which I think duplicate my previous results.

Sent from a tiny phone keyboard via Tapatalk - typos inevitable.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.