It is currently Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27
 Post subject: Re: Capital punishment
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 10:57 pm 
1000%

Nebraska has become the latest state to repeal the death penalty. Unlike most states, it has a single legislature, and after passing the repeal bill 32-15 (after previous votes were 30-16 and 30-13; apparently all bills in Nebraska need to be voted on three times before they are passed), the Governor vetoed the bill, and the legislature barely overrode the veto, 30-19. Interestingly, it was a coalition of Republican legislatures that led the charge, despite the GOP governor's vehement opposition (he tweeted today in response to the override vote "My words cannot express how appalled I am that we have lost a critical tool to protect law enforcement and Nebraska families.")

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 11:24 pm 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
"My words cannot express how appalled I am that we have lost a critical tool to protect law enforcement and Nebraska families."

I'm confused about this statement: those sentenced to death are done so after their capture and conviction. As ones convicted would have already been apprehended, surely they would no longer pose any danger to law enforcement and Nebraska families, as they would be locked up in prison? Because of that, I don't see how the governor is saying that capital punishment is important for protecting them. Is the argument supposed to be that fear of being sentenced to death would be more likely to dissuade criminals from doing heinous things to police and families, whereas the maximum possible sentencing "only" being life imprisonment would be less persuasive? I assume that those who Nebraska would previously have sentenced to death would now likely get life imprisonment or a lengthy term in prison with the hopes of rehabilitation, so it's not the case that they would be out on the streets any time soon as a potential threat to the safety of law enforcement and families. What, then, does the governor mean?

Would anyone mind explaining what they think he's trying to say, and if my previous paragraph relies on flawed assumptions?

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 1:05 am 
1000%

Tyrhael wrote:
Is the argument supposed to be that fear of being sentenced to death would be more likely to dissuade criminals from doing heinous things to police and families, whereas the maximum possible sentencing "only" being life imprisonment would be less persuasive?

Yes, I assume so. To the best of my knowledge, there is no data that supports this argument, but it is still consistently made.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 523 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27