The 2008 Presidential Campaign (was Obama Phenomenon 2)

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
halplm
hooked

Post by halplm »

I didn't say that Obama attacked Palin, but the press has. And thus they have opened the door. Obama complaining about every little thing makes him look like a whiner, especially since Palin is having to weather this insane scrutiny.

They have to recognize the climate in the press, and work accordingly. The lipstick on a pig statement should not be a story, but he should have recognized that it COULD be a story, and in the current climate, where McCain's camp and the media is looking for ANY sexist or negative comment from the Obama camp, it WOULD be a story, as distorted as it may be.

Prim, I object to being labled as "irrational."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Hal, I apologize if that is what I seemed to be saying, but I was urging that we all keep the discussion rational.

The press has attacked Palin, if calling her on provable lies is an attack. If she wants "attacks" like that to stop, she needs someone to write her a new stump speech that does not contain statements that are now well known to be untrue.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Well, viewers are up. If you click on to the link that Voronwë provided in his post you will see they now have over 100. 119 as of 2:25 EST time . I do not know what the the other Farmington, MICH sites are on You tube. But I am only counting this one since it was linked on this thread by Voronwë.

here it is again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMqIvoPJisc
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

What the point of linking to a video that I already linked to just a few posts earlier? :scratch:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

to show you and others where I was getting the numbers of views from since it seemed to differ with the ones Primula mentioned.

just trying to help :)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Cenedril_Gildinaur

Post by Cenedril_Gildinaur »

Sarah Palin Has Already Sold Out
Laurence Vance wrote:For those who don't think that Palin "sold out" just by accepting the vice presidential nomination, please read the transcript of her acceptance speech. After talking about challenging the status quo, serving the common good, seeking office and serving for the right reasons, and governing with integrity, goodwill, and clear convictions, Palin made this incredible statement:

"Now, no leader in America has shown these qualities so clearly or presents so clear a threat to business as usual in Washington as Sen. John S. McCain."

And McCain is not the only thing she is deceived about. Palin mentioned her son deploying to Iraq on Sept. 11 of this year "in the service of his country." I fail to see how killing Iraqis and destroying their property in an immoral and unjust war is serving the country.

Yes, Palin is far better than McCain, Obama, Biden, and the rest (and far better looking than Hillary), but how hard is it to be better than those clowns? On the burning issue of the day--the war--she is no different than the rest.
So as the newness fades, the fact appears that she really isn't any better. She's as pro-war as the other three.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

You could simply have reported the play count; but in the context of thousands of views of different versions of the same thing, does it really matter anyway?
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

Yesterday as I was driving over to pick up my husband for lunch, as I approached the community recreation center I was surprised to see numerous police cars at all the intersections leading to the place, with some avenues of access blocked off and a large bus parked in a place where people don't usually park. I drove slowly around it and saw several news teams as well. :scratch:

I was really confused until I saw a couple of people with a sign that said "Rednecks for Obama!" :rofl: When I finally manuevered around the various road blockages and picked up my husband, he said Joe Biden was speaking there. It was a weird place to choose. It's a recreation center, with almost no seating anywhere. They probably could have booked a gymnasium or the Mizzou arena or SOMEthing with a bit better parking so as to not inconvenience innocent motorists!

edit: I just found an article about it and they had 933 people squished onto the basketball court. That building is always humid because of the pool. I bet it was stuffy in there!

edit 2: I wonder if that amount of people in one room violated the fire code for that building? :suspicious:
Last edited by Maria on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

The various political news shows on CNN and MSNBC has been talking about this all day long. Obama is fighting back and the Republicans are escalating. There is now a Palin Truth squad, 50 people, mostly all women, who are dispatched to claim sexism when these things surface. Several female congresspersons as well as other former office holders have been on the news shows all day. They all have the exact same message: Obama made a sexist remark to demean Sarah Palin and all working women.

One good thing is that several newspeople have asked them some very pointed questions and its clear the press is not buying into this the way the McCain campaing wants them to.

There is an excellent column on this today from John Dickerson. A small part of it here to give you a taste:

Ms. Piggy
McCain's campaign perfects its outrage over sexism.
By John Dickerson
Posted Wednesday, Sept. 10, 2008, at 10:32 AM ET

All campaigns must change in order to handle the arrival of a vice-presidential candidate. To accommodate Sarah Palin, John McCain's Straight Talk Express has now installed a fainting couch. It's not for the vice-presidential candidate—she's plenty tough—but for McCain aides who are rapidly perfecting the act of expiring on the cushions on her behalf at every sign of perceived sexism.
if you care to read it all

http://www.slate.com/id/2199738/
Last edited by sauronsfinger on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

If I could, I would work for the Obama campaign. But I can't even donate money.

I sincerely hope and pray, from the bottom of my heart, that every single American who supports Obama is out there working their ASS off.

I have even been thinking about crossing the border on election day and offering to drive people to the polls. I've done it here.
Dig deeper.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

If you want Obama to win that badly, you should also hope Barr wins his Texas lawsuit.
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
-- Samuel Adams
Maria
Hobbit

Post by Maria »

All in favor of letting the US and Canada merge so vison can vote in this election- raise your hands!
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Would not Lurker balance that out?????

Some good news for the Obama campaign from todays USA Today.
By Kathy Kiely, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — New data released at the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute's annual meeting Tuesday show that the Latino vote could be "crucial" for Barack Obama to win this fall, pollster Sergio Bendixen said.
In three of four battleground states where Hispanics make up at least 10% of the voting population, Obama had a distinct advantage over Republican John McCain among Hispanic voters, according to polls Bendixen took for NDN, a Democratic think tank. In the fourth state, Florida, a poll showed the two candidates were tied, he said.

NDN President Simon Rosenberg said the findings are significant because in 2004 "the key to George Bush's victory was his success with Latinos." Rosenberg said he believes last year's immigration debate "fundamentally altered" Hispanic support for Republican candidates.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

I just made my 4th donation to the Obama campaign with my credit card.

My husband will have words for me. :blackeye:

I'm hoping people will recognize that the McCain campaign went over the top with claiming that Obama called Palin a "pig." Man, that was farfetched. Even the Republicans in my office are rolling their eyes at that strategem.

But by all accounts women are responding to the Palin nomination. I now seriously wonder if Hillary should have been part of the Obama ticket. Conventional wisdom was that a black and a woman on the same ticket would have been just too much for American voters to swallow, but perhaps that was wrong. :(
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:If you want Obama to win that badly, you should also hope Barr wins his Texas lawsuit.
Now, if the Texas courts find that Texas has legislated both the Dems and GOP out of this year's election that would just be funny. Heads in Texas would roll, of course, but I'd still be laughing.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Cenedril_Gildinaur

sauronsfinger wrote:Some good news for the Obama campaign from todays USA Today.
The problem with that report is that "Hispanics" represent an even less unified population than other minority groups, as there is nothing unifying the group other than having either self or ancestor come from south of the United States to the United States. That encompasses many countries, some of which do not even speak Spanish. It also encompasses both those here legally and those here illegally.

For just one example, the Cuban Population of Florida, for example, is considered by many to be fairly solidly Republican due to the stronger anti-Castro sentiment of the Republican Party.

That debate that led to this hypothetical fundamental alteration had many Republicans talking a tough line on illegal immigration, but that did and also did not include McCain. Big surprise, he flip-flopped. It doesn't includ Bush at all who has supported Amnesty the whole time.

And that doesn't even begin to cover race relations between various minority groups.
-- Samuel Adams
Padme
Daydream Believer.

Post by Padme »

Vison,

I am. ;) Eugene, the Dem organizer here says the number of people working for Obama is a great deal higher than it was for either Gore or Kerry.
From the ashes, a fire shall be woken. A light from the shadow shall spring. Renewed shall be blade that was broken. The crownless again shall be king.

Loving living in the Pacific Northwest.
Cenedril_Gildinaur

River wrote:
Cenedril_Gildinaur wrote:If you want Obama to win that badly, you should also hope Barr wins his Texas lawsuit.
Now, if the Texas courts find that Texas has legislated both the Dems and GOP out of this year's election that would just be funny. Heads in Texas would roll, of course, but I'd still be laughing.
Since Texas has a whole lot of electoral votes that will probably go to McCain, the Democrats don't have much to lose if Barr wins, but they have a lot to win if Barr wins given that will severely skew the electoral college count.

Democrats really should back this.
-- Samuel Adams
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It would be a different race if Clinton were the VP nominee. McCain would not have picked Palin; he'd have gone with a white man with visible experience, and they'd be hammering Obama and Clinton on how "different" they are and hinting that America just "isn't ready." And they would be digging up the whole Clinton mythology to use against the Democrats. It seems unlikely that they could win on the issues, so they would find something else, Palin or no Palin.
Ellienor

Post by Ellienor »

CG, without going back and searching :blackeye: I think Voronwë posted case law that shows that this suit will not win. In the U.S., a common law country, it's not necessarily about exactly what the statutory law says, but how they are interpreted. This so-called "deadline" date is meaningless. It won't work. 99.9% probability. Texas is going to vote, and it's going to be for McCain.

edit:
It would be a different race if Clinton were the VP nominee. McCain would not have picked Palin; he'd have gone with a white man with visible experience, and they'd be hammering Obama and Clinton on how "different" they are and hinting that America just "isn't ready." And they would be digging up the whole Clinton mythology to use against the Democrats.
You're right. Maybe they just have to wait until this Palin thing peaks, then passes. I think we'll have to leave it with a net positive for McCain because a number of "Wall mart" moms are going to like her and identify with her. I wish they'd announce a major position for Hillary in the Obama adminstration--do candidates ever do that?--which might reassure women that Hillary will be respected and included. Perhaps Hillary doesn't want one, and is looking ahead to 2012.

Strategy within strategy within strategy. :)
Last edited by Ellienor on Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.