Delegate Mirth ( the end has come! )

Discussions of and about the historic 2008 U.S. Presidential Election
tinwë

Post by tinwë »

Erunáme wrote:When I was watching some of the clips, I saw that Clinton's people kept saying that she's won the popular vote? Is that really so? I thought I've read in this thread or the other that that isn't true.
Eru, here is very good breakdown of the popular vote count using different methods of counting the votes:

2008 Democratic Popular Vote

Clinton has won under three different scenarios:

1 - the popular vote counting Michigan but not giving any of Michigan’s uncommited votes to Obama and not counting Iowa, Nevada, Washington & Maine, which were caucus states that have not released popular vote counts.

2 - the popular vote counting Michigan but not giving any of Michigan’s uncommited votes to Obama, and including estimates for the caucus states of Iowa, Nevada, Washington & Maine.

3 - the popular vote counting Michigan and giving Michigan’s uncommited votes to Obama but not counting the caucus states.

Basically, Clinton wins if you don’t count the caucus states and if you give her the Michigan votes without giving Obama anything. It is, in my opinion, a meaningless distinction at best and a downright dishonest and misleading one at worst.

I also noted that she brought it up again in her speech last night. I can’t for the life of me figure out how claiming that she beat the presumptive nominee is going to convince said nominee to pick her as his running mate. I clearly don’t understand politics.
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

DANG! :D

:rofl:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I loved the "media-imposed framework of games won" part. :D
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I read this somewhere else. It's great, isn't it?
Dig deeper.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:rofl: Perfect!