It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:17 am 

Voronwë_the_Faithful wrote:
Another "not exactly a review" (and this one also "not in English"), but the Polish online magazine Ancalina has a long interview with me (done in English, but tranlated into Polish), along with translations into Polish of the reviews/essays that were in Beyond Bree about Arda Reconstructed, by Nancy Martsch and Christina Scull, and the responses to Christina's essay that were subsequently printed: http://bezkr.es/bt/ancalima/

And a long excerpt from the interview, in English, has been published in the May 2010 issue of Beyond Bree, pp. 4-7. I predict this will lead to one or more letters in the June or July issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:34 am 
Feeling grateful

Ya think? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:20 pm 
Feeling grateful

Finally, I get to comment on another actual review in this thread, rather than repeatedly saying "Not exactly a review, but ... ." ;)

And a very nice review it is, in the May 2010 issue of Amon Hen, the bulletin of The Tolkien Society, by Robert H. Walker. Here's the conclusion:

Quote:
All in all a wonderful piece of research with many insights into how The Silmarillion was put together by Christopher Tolkien. Quite expensive, but a worthwhile purchase for the Tolkien fan and perhaps essential for the Silmarillion fan.

He also has great praise for Breogan's illustrations, which pleases me very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:23 pm 
Living in hope

That's great, Voronwë! And I'm glad of the praise for the illustrations, which are such a fine addition to the book.

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:40 pm 
Lali Beag Bídeach

:sunny: That is a very nice thing indeed (the praise for you and for the illustrations)!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm 
Reads while walking

Congrats on the great review, V! May they keep rolling in . . . .

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 5:56 pm 

8) That is nice to see, V... congratulations to both of you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:53 pm 
Feeling grateful

Again, not exactly a review, but a pretty significant development.

Arda Reconstructed has been named by the Mythopoeic Society as one of the five finalists for the Mythopoeic Scholarship Award in Inklings Studies. Here's the full list of finalists:

Gavin Ashenden, Charles Williams: Alchemy and Integration (Kent State, 2008)

Dimitra Fimi, Tolkien, Race, and Cultural History: From Fairies to Hobbits (Palgrave Macmillan, 2009)

Douglas Charles Kane, Arda Reconstructed: The Creation of the Published Silmarillion (Lehigh Univ. Press, 2009)

Michael Ward, Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis (Oxford, 2008)

Elizabeth A. Whittingham, The Evolution of Tolkien’s Mythology: A Study of the History of Middle-earth (McFarland, 2008)

I am quite honored to have my book selected amongst such fine company, and to be named along with some of the greatest books in Tolkien and Inklings studies.

For the full list of this years Mythopoeic Awards finalists, see here. For a list of past winners and finalists for the Inkling's Studies award, go here

Congratulations to all the finalists in each category, and good luck to all of them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:45 pm 
Living in hope

:shock:

This is wonderful, Voronwë! You have my heartfelt congratulations!

and my squeeing and running in circles :woohoo:
:hooray:

:foryou:

“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:06 pm 
2018 Fitbit Balrog*

:bow: :bow: :bow:

:whee:

Congrats V!

'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude (as Merry)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:21 pm 
Meanwhile...

Quote:
Congratulations to all the finalists in each category, and good luck to all of them!

But most especially to one of them. ;)

Great news, V! :foryou:

“It may help to understand human affairs to be clear that most of the great triumphs and tragedies of history are caused, not by people being fundamentally good or fundamentally bad, but by people being fundamentally people.”

- Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:36 pm 
This is Rome

Wow! And yay! What an honor - can't wait to hear what happens!

I'm beyond the archetype
I won't just conform
No matter how you shake my core
'Cause my roots, they run deep, oh

When, when the fire's at my feet again
And the vultures all start circling
They're whispering, "You're out of time,"
But still I rise
This is no mistake, no accident
When you think the final nail is in, think again
Don't be surprised, I will still rise

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:03 pm 
Feeling grateful

Thanks folks. I must say I'm pretty flabbergasted about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:06 pm 
Living in hope

When will the award be announced? At Mythcon?

And if so, does this mean you're going to Dallas? Or were you already planning on it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:24 pm 
Feeling grateful

Yes, the award will be announced at the banquet on Sunday night at Mythcon. Sadly, it looks like I won't be able to make it this year. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
Living in hope

:( If that changes, even at the last minute, I hope you'll consider going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:09 pm 
Feeling grateful

I'll definitely go if I can, but other committments take precedent.

Besides, I'm fairly sure that the award is going to go to Mr. Ward's book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:28 pm 
Living in hope

Doesn't mean it wouldn't still be fun (and possibly useful) to be there. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:18 pm 
Feeling grateful

Well, if (when) it doesn't win this year, it will still be eligible to be finalist the following year (and the year after that, too), so I might get another opportunity. (Three of the five finalist this year were holdovers from last year, Ahendon, Ward, and Whittingham.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:32 am 
Lali Beag Bídeach

:bow: :woohoo: That is an incredible honor! I truly hope you win! :)

(Oh, I hope, hope, hope you win!!!!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next