Book 1, Chap. 1: A Long-Expected Party

The Hall of Fire's extended chapter by chapter discussion of Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Holbytla wrote:I maintain that it is Aragorn who is the protagonist of the story, and that the hobbits (while important) are secondary characters. The story can be construed as a culmination of the Akallabêth.

And I suppose if you want to get right down to the roots, it is a final ending of the War of Wrath.

It seems to me that the hobbits are central to this act of the story, but not on the broader scope of it.
This reminds me of Frodo's and Sam's discussion on the way to Cirith Ungol, when Sam says they're in the same tale as Beren and Lúthien of old, and Frodo says they're just in a different part of it.

But we do get ahead of ourselves. :)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

A bit, perhaps. But I'm not conceding that particular point to Holby. To me the story has meaning insofar as it's conveyed by the experiences of the hobbits. I hear what he's saying about Aragorn, and the larger tale; but it's both larger and more remote. I can't stop seeing Aragorn's story as something written on a wall behind the events that I experience as real. When Aragorn's story moves me is when and where it moves the hobbits.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Morwenna wrote:
Holbytla wrote:I maintain that it is Aragorn who is the protagonist of the story, and that the hobbits (while important) are secondary characters. The story can be construed as a culmination of the Akallabêth.

And I suppose if you want to get right down to the roots, it is a final ending of the War of Wrath.

It seems to me that the hobbits are central to this act of the story, but not on the broader scope of it.
This reminds me of Frodo's and Sam's discussion on the way to Cirith Ungol, when Sam says they're in the same tale as Beren and Lúthien of old, and Frodo says they're just in a different part of it.

But we do get ahead of ourselves. :)
I think there is very scant evidence to suggest that Aragorn is the protagonist of LOTR. IMO, that's revisionist history!

He may be a protagonist in the context of the broader sweep of the Third Age, but LOTR's context, as a story in its own right, is primarily that of the Shire, and the victory of its humble representatives over arrogance, pride and domination. In this framework, which Tolkien gives us, the hobbits take the lead.

But if we wanted to take a bigger picture look at it, a second candidate for "protagonist" would have to collectively be the elves. It's a story about their fading, and the victory of the mundane over the faery, as much as it is a story about power and humility.

IMO, Aragorn's path to the kingship is a rather marginal part of the story. He's basically just a band aid on a mortal wound - merely buying mankind a few more years before slipping into darkness.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

That's an interesting take on his role, and a rather gloomy one. Probably, though, Tolkien would agree. In certain moods, I find his work Quite gloomy! There is hope, but, knowing his Catholicism, the hope is a religious one, not a temporal one.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Given that Tolkien himself said that LOTR was primarily about Death and the desire for deathlessness, I think he would agree that it is quite gloomy!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I remember the first time I tried to read LotR in (roughly) sixth grade, having loved The Hobbit. I couldn't get through this chapter, and I was pretty upset when I realized Bilbo wouldn't be the main character. Fortunately, I gave LotR another shot about a year later.

I like it much more now. There's a lot of good comic bits here - Bilbo's snarky gifts, his speech, Hobbit culture in general, "It was a compliment and therefore not true." I've occasionally people say Tolkien lacked a sense of humor, but it's pretty obviously wrong I think.

Gandalf the Grey is has more of a dark edge in the books, doesn't he? Threatening to blow Frodo's door down, even if we assume he's not really serious! And he hints at torturing Gollum in the next chapter too.
Last edited by kzer_za on Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

People who say Tolkien is humorless probably haven't read his books. I find humor to be one of his strong points!
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Do people say Tolkien is humorless? :scratch:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

yovargas wrote:Do people say Tolkien is humorless? :scratch:
I haven't heard that very often myself. Though I do recall someone on the radio commenting on the LOTR films, and arguing that Tolkien himself is responsible for all the humorless doom and gloom that pervades the films...
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

yovargas wrote:Do people say Tolkien is humorless? :scratch:
I have seen/heard people occasionally say this at least about LotR, yes. I think they usually have the more mythic/heroic sections in mind, which are more serious. But one of the keys to understanding LotR is that it's a mythic story told through modern Hobbit eyes.
Morwenna

Post by Morwenna »

Then again, humor doesn't always translate across the Atlantic or across time or even across occupational or social classes. And then there are those who scoff at the Shire chapters without noticing the humor.

There's less excuse, though, for missing the humor in Gandalf's exasperation with Pippin, for instance! But that would mean that some people refuse to find humor in tense or unhappy situations. If so, they are the poorer for it; humor certainly occurs in such situations in real life! If it didn't, I think everyone would be suicidal.
Beorhtnoth

Re: Book 1, Chap. 1: A Long-Expected Party

Post by Beorhtnoth »

As is true of many, I found Lord of the Rings via The Hobbit. I and my fellow class of 8 year olds had the Hobbit read to us, and Bilbo became a favourite character to us all. The lure of further Bilbo Baggins adventures led to LotR, and A Long Expected Party. I believe I skipped the Prologue on first reading; I wanted the adventure.

I was heart-broken at the chapter’s conclusion. I wanted to follow Bilbo and the dwarves, not stay behind with Frodo. And then to compound my grief, Gandalf departs!

I am not a Tolkien scholar. I love Tolkien’s works, but I have only cursorily investigated The History of Middle Earth. With that caveat, I would like to give my impressions of Tolkien’s intent, perhaps nascent, in his introductory chapter.

The first page or so is a brief recap of Bilbo’s life since his return from Erebor, then we are transported to the present, and The Ivy Bush inn. This is, in effect, where the tale starts, and I believe it is no accident that our first introduction is to Hamfast Gamgee, and by extension, Sam. I am convinced it is no accident the novel is bookended by the Gamgees; Tolkien is stating his intent from the outset.

The Hobbit was sparse in its depiction of hobbit society, save that Bilbo and his relatives are what could be fairly described as “comfortably off”. Bilbo is no son of the soil, but a gentleman of leisure. Fast forward to The Ivy Bush, and Sandyman aside, the group is comprised of farmers, gardeners and their ilk. This is a deviation for Tolkien. Up to this point, he has depicted characters that mirror himself; educated and middle class. Now, he introduces the working class of hobbit society.

Tolkien’s depiction of class is not without guile. The Shire is an idealised class society, in which birth conveys status but that stratification does not generate resentment. A hobbit’s character matters more than their birthright. The Shire is a pastoral idyll, and the Gaffer’s distaste for the miller Sandyman hints at events to come. Tolkien is setting his scene, of just what Frodo will be losing when he leaves The Shire. But more than that, he is setting up the protagonist through which the reader will be transported through his epic tale. Step forward Sam Gamgee, the unexpected hero. It is a subtle introduction, that echoes Frodo’s own.
Now that he [the Gaffer] was himself growing old and stiff in the joints, the job was mainly carried on by his youngest son, Sam Gamgee. Both father and son were on very friendly terms with Bilbo and Frodo.
Throughout the conversation in The Ivy Bush, it is Hamfast who defends Bilbo and Frodo, supported by his neighbour Daddy Twofoot. The template is set, of a close relationship between Baggins and Gamgee, but still one of master and servant. Again, Tolkien’s class structure is present, but slight. I would suggest this subtle examination of class persists throughout the novel, and that Sam, so fleetingly introduced, increasingly becomes the “reader’s eyes” as the novel progresses. Subsequent chapters show how Sam grows. From being the butt of Pippin’s teasing
Sam! Get breakfast ready for half-past nine! Have you got the bath-water hot?” - Three’s Company
to
He drew a deep breath. ‘Well, I’m back,’ he said. - The Grey Havens
the reader is propelled along Sam’s journey, from servant to Master of Bag End. And all of it presaged in the first few pages.
In a society built on deceit, telling truth is a seditious act
Voronwë the Faithful

That's a lovely post! I don't really have anything to say in response to it other than that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That's a lovely post! I don't really have anything to say in response to it other than that I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.
That is most kind of you. I confess, I find the prospect of posting comments somewhat intimidating,knowing I am in the company of scholars.I hope my personal perspective does not become an irritant!
Voronwë the Faithful

On the contrary, it is like a breath of fresh air.

And I'm only an accidental Tolkien scholar.
Beorhtnoth

Post by Beorhtnoth »

It is linked to my former post, but I feel it demands stating just how clever Tolkien was with the first chapter. Without meaning to be too hyperbolic, Sam Gamgee is Tolkien's paramount "Chekhov's Gun". And yet he is introduced so subtly, indirectly rather than overtly. Hamfast references his son, and it appears to be merely background, flavour for the next Baggins protagonist, but this sells Tolkien short.

What does the Gaffer tell the reader? A huge amount! Sam's character is distilled into a couple of lines, but that is all that is required to prep the reader. From;
He's in and out of Bag End. Crazy about stories of the old days he is, and he listens to all Mr. Bilbo's tales. Mr Bilbo has learned him his letters - meaning no harm,mark you, and I hope no harm will come of it.
Tolkien is dangling Sam's uniqueness for the reader, indicating future narrative. He sets the scene for our, the readers', exploration of his world through Sam's experiences, the real narrative successor to Bilbo.

And, again, with a succinctness belying reputation, Tolkien frames the tale with commendable brevity. Without recognising it, the reader already has the "hero" of the adventure implanted.

This is carried on into the next chapter, that mirrors the first in structure.And that is deliberate.