Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Some creative work that they haven't shown the world yet?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

My initial assumption was that Amazon is doing the showing, but on rereading it really does seem like “they” is the Tolkien family...huh. I suppose it is possible she meant the first and was just stumbling over her words speaking unscripted. Or maybe there is still some Tolkien artwork left unpublished...who knows.
Voronwë the Faithful

Given the fact that he thinks that Tolkien had "daughters" I don't give much credence to what she has to say. :roll:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Are they like Isildur's descendants, only have male heirs?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Tolkien only had one daughter, Priscilla. So her reference to having dinner with Tolkien's "daughters" is confused at best.
Voronwë the Faithful

I posted this at TORN in response to someone saying that they expected another update yesterday since it was three days between the first two updates, and yesterday was three days from the second update. I'm reposting it here in case I am right.
Most likely there is no pattern, and updates will come when they come. Still it seems like if they are going to use the ring poem they should stick to some kind of schedule.

Wait, maybe they are! The first post was "Three Rings for the Elven-kings under the sky." Then they made the next update three days later. That post had "Seven for the Dwarf-lords in their halls of stone." So maybe the next one will be seven days after that, which make it next Monday (and will have "Nine for Mortal Men doomed to die" followed by a delay of nine days, before posting the final update
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Brilliant, Voronwë! :bow:
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I just hope that "doomed to die" wasn't a prophecy.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Primula Baggins wrote:Brilliant, Voronwë! :bow:
Only if they post something on Monday. Then I will admit brilliance. :horse:
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
You sir is brilliant :bow:.
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

So, only a few new things on the map:
Forlindon
Harlindon
Minhiriath
Enedwaith
Ras Morthil
Belfalas
Laurelindorenan

Not much to work with - Laurelindorenan might be a Second-Age clue, but you really can't make too much of that. It could just be a deliberate anachronism for other purposes. The choices of which locations seem a little odd, like why is the (unimportant) mountain Ras Morthil there with mostly regional names?
Voronwë the Faithful

JonasHS wrote:
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
You sir is brilliant :bow:.
:D Thank you, kind sir!
Voronwë the Faithful

Ras Morthil? Could that be an indication that the Drúedain will be included?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Here’s hoping!

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Um, presumably that is Howard Shore speaking there?

ETA: Here's the interview that it comes from: https://www.lootcrate.com/community/dai ... ward-shore
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Um, presumably that is Howard Shore speaking there?

ETA: Here's the interview that it comes from: https://www.lootcrate.com/community/dai ... ward-shore
I thought that went without saying ;)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

I don't know about Shore scoring for the TV series. I think I'd like to hear a fresh take on Middle-earth, music-wise.
And after the repetitiveness of The Hobbit scores I'm not very confident about him, per se.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Smaug's voice wrote: And after the repetitiveness of The Hobbit scores I'm not very confident about him, per se.
Well we never got to hear Shores Hobbit Score. PJ kept inserting recognisable LotR themes.
Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

kzer_za wrote:After reading a bit of chatter on TORN and checking my copy of HoME IV and Fonstad's Atlas, there is an eastern mountain range Tolkien thought about and sketched, the Red Mountains or Orocarni. Although if it's the same one, they've moved it inward some.

If it ends up being called the "Red Mountains", that's a major clue that the estate is releasing some degree of non-LotR material and that Amazon has done their homework. Just have to wait and see...
Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Or its a sign that they are just making stuff up. We'll have to see.
Jumping back a page, but since this has been a popular subject of speculation elsewhere I recently did some double-checking to make sure I was remembering correctly, and I'd note that the mountains to the east of the Sea of Rhûn are copied from the maps that appeared in the PJ movies, where they were labeled the "Mountains of the East". To be fair, I don't know if Jackson's design team had the Red Mountains from the Ambarkanta maps in mind when they decided to expand the map,* but I'd be surprised if that was the case.

(Click image for full size.)

*Both by pushing the edge of the map further east and by adding new geographic features--such as the second river flowing into the Sea of Rhûn--to areas shown in the book maps.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good point. I saw that mentioned elsewhere as well: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... me;so=DESC;

It's hard to know how to think of that in junction with the subsequent updates to the map that don't seem to follow anything from the films and suggest a considerably earlier time frame, either Second Age or early to middle Third Age.

We should see another update on Wednesday (if the Ring Poem pattern continues to be followed) and perhaps we will know more than.