Lord of the Rings series!?

For discussion of Amazon's new television show "The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Re: Lord of the Rings series!?

Post by Alatar »

It couldn't be that bad. Could it?
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Reading this makes me wonder are they making a LoTR series, or a LoTR sitcom!? :scarey:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

In all seriousness, why would anyone pay 300 million for the LotR rights if you're going to make a bad Shannara ripoff?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

elengil wrote:Reading this makes me wonder are they making a LoTR series, or a LoTR sitcom!? :scarey:
I am astonished by how cool I would be with a LOTR sitcom.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

At TORN, this is largely being dismissed as a case of the audition tapes and placeholder names being cited as being the real characters and character traits. And while I understand that that may be true (though it certainly isn't being reported that way in this article), It is hard to make the connection between what is reported in this article and anything remotely connected to what Tolkien wrote.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

I agree that some of it is pretty cringe...but with Amazon keeping everything under such tight wraps and super-tight security for the writers' room, I think it's pretty likely they're placeholders. Amazon must have known the audition material was always going to leak at some point since thousands of people will see it and as far as I understand, code names and mock scripts are not an uncommon practice.

I'm calling that this is Elrond and Elros:
Poulter is said to be playing Beldor, an optimistic, intelligent and political savvy protagonist who is nonetheless more reserved than his on-screen counterparts. Beldor will often be the straight-man in pairings with more out-sized personalities and, while young, will possess a gravitas that belies a character who could be far older.
Other series regulars may include Neldor, a similar archetype as Beldor;
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm probably several years late discovering this, but Amazon has a little documentary series on Tolkien/The Hobbit. It's about 5 years old. Episode One: Looking for the Hobbit
My heart is forever in the Shire.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Rose. I don't recall hearing about that, though I might just be forgetting.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Doesn't seem to be available over here.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Alatar, I've only watched the first episode, but it seems to follow the illustrator John Howe. The first episode took him to New Zealand (oh! it was so cool to see him walk in some of the same places we got to visit!). It seems the next episode will take him to other places that inspired him in his artwork to bring the scenes to life and what may have inspired Tolkien. European legends, King Arthur, Lost Gold of the Rhine, and Creatures of the North.
Voronwë the Faithful

From looking at the descriptions, it doesn't appear to really be about Tolkien's work, though I'm sure it is interesting to watch (though in my book it gets a strike against it for including renowned scammer David Day as a "Tolkien expert".
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I can't speak for the entirety of the series. I did enjoy the episode I watched. Being an artist I found it interesting to view bringing the movie to life from the perspective of the conceptual artist and how Howe went about doing the best he could to recreate Tolkien's vision.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its not looking good is it.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-o ... pOH70mwsos

Still, look what happened when they lost Stuart Townsend and got Viggo!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Since I have no idea who he is, am devoid of any reaction.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

We don't even know who he was supposed to be playing (despite speculation that he was Elrond and/or Elros because of a supposed similarity in look to Hugo Weaving). I don't see how it is that big a deal. Have they even started filming yet?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No but losing your lead actor before filming is never a good sign.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think it was ever reported that he was the "lead actor" though I could be wrong.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

He's the biggest name signed. His was at the least "one of the lead roles". As for who he is, he was Eustace in Voyage of the Dawn Treader.

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-o ... 203321951/
Voronwë the Faithful

One of the lead roles is not exactly the same as "the lead role." And while it may be true that he was biggest name, he certainly is not that big of a name.

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

/shrug

Neither was Stuart Townsend.