Namárië, Curunír.

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: Namárië, Curunír.

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

RIP
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Rest in Peace Sir Christopher. Dracula, Scaramanga, Dooku, Saruman, Flay. What a resume.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Wow. I remember Lee expressing concern that he wouldn't live long enough to see Lord of the Rings on the big screen all the way back in the early 00's. In fact he managed not only that, but starring in and viewing an entire sequel trilogy as well. He was a truly remarkable man, to the point that I almost feel unworthy to comment here.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Farewell. He was more metal at 90+ than any young man I can think of. He'd even been Death, in Pratchett adaptations, and I always think of his voice when I read those caps.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

The very detailed obituary I read this morning had a couple of real surprises in it:

During World War II, Lee served in the Royal Air Force and Special Forces and spent one year in a hellacious winter campaign in Finland. He was said to be a spy but never wanted to talk about it, honoring an oath of secrecy.

“When the Second World War finished I was 23 and already I had seen enough horror to last me a lifetime,” he told the Telegraph in 2011. “I’d seen dreadful, dreadful things, without saying a word. So seeing horror depicted on film doesn’t affect me much.”

Music was important to him. He appeared in operas, sang “Name Your Poison” in The Return of Captain Invincible (1983) opposite Alan Arkin and was among the pack of “convicts” on the cover of Paul McCartney & Wings’ 1973 album Band on the Run.

In 2010, Lee recorded a symphonic heavy metal concept album, Charlemagne: By the Sword and the Cross (he said he was related to the emperor on his mother’s side). Three years later, he released a follow-up that had Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath on guitar.

“People never thought I would be a heavy metal performer. Well, I am,” he said in the 2012 interview.

Sure, he never was nominated for an Oscar, but he has a Metal Hammer Golden God Award

Lee, who had a library of 12,000 books on the occult, admitted to being fascinated by the nature of evil during a 2003 interview with the Guardian.
“Good’ people ... being persistently noble can become rather uninteresting,” he said. “There is a dark side in all of us. And for us 'bad’ people, the bad side dominates. I think there is a great sadness in villains, and I have tried to put that across. We cannot stop ourselves doing what we are doing.”

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/news/christ ... 48580.html

What fascinating, multi-faceted man he was! :(
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

DP
Last edited by Sunsilver on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

He will be missed. Though to my eyes, the man is immortal.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Found this AWESOME clip of Lee doing the One Ring poem, in English and the Black Speech! What a magnificent voice he had, and what a shame this was never included in the films!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdhpA2yPu1w
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Lovely tribute from Peter Jackson: https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-ja ... 6069616558
That is a very touching note from Peter.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

RIP Sir Lee. Here goes one of the men I have always looked up to...
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Happy Birthday, Christopher Lee!

This article on FB contains quite a few new nuggets of information about him, including a joke Roger Moore played on him during the filming of The Man With the Golden Gun!

Last edited by Sunsilver on Thu May 27, 2021 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

That's so weird, I had forgotten about it but when I saw this I remembered that last night (well, just before I woke up) I was having a dream about Saruman and these two young - late teen/early twenty - kids going to find him calling him Uncle Saruman but they knew he had been corrupted and were trying to save him...
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF