Tolkien biopic

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Re: Tolkien biopic

Post by yovargas »

Personally hated that. The dialogue felt super unnatural, really awkwardly forced, which is basically what I expected this thing to feel like.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Eldy
Drowning in Anadûnê

Post by Eldy »

I thought it was cute, if a little corny, but I'm not sure how Tolkienish it felt. Will be curious to see it in context, though.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Tolkien Estate is pretty unequivocal in its opposition to the film.

Tolkien estate disavows forthcoming film starring Nicholas Hoult
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Tolkien Estate is pretty unequivocal in its opposition to the film.

Tolkien estate disavows forthcoming film starring Nicholas Hoult
Here is a link to the Tolkien Estate original statement. https://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-relea ... 93157.html
Voronwë the Faithful

I saw someone else post that elsewhere and suggest that the Guardian had somehow over-emphasized the statement, when in fact they quote it exactly.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I stopped giving a FF a long time ago about what TE approves. They have proven themselves to be completely clueless about anything that’s not books.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
kzer_za

Post by kzer_za »

They do approve of the Amazon series though, at least to some degree. Christopher has stepped down, so it has to be more than just him denouncing. And even Christopher didn't publicly criticize Jackson's films until years later, while other family members were less hostile...so this is actually somewhat unusual.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

They also approved of the LotrO game which saw me fighting giant turtles in Annuminas. Just sayin.
JonasHS

Post by JonasHS »

Alatar wrote:They also approved of the LotrO game which saw me fighting giant turtles in Annuminas. Just sayin.
I think that LotrO is licensed by Middle-earth Enterprises not the Tolkien Estate.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They ran an ad on a cooking show, and it was the oddest intercut, from the charging horsemen to the contestants to Tolkien in uniform to the show host.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Al. Encouraging, so far as it goes. I suspect that Shaun Gunner's reaction will be similar to my own, and that many in the so-called Tolkien scholarship community will hate it.

Currently at 67% at Rotten Tomatoes, but only 9 reviews so far. 33% among "top critics" with even the one positive one being lukewarm. But way too early to get a sense of the critical consensus (not that that matters all that much)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Those reviews are quite promising. I think I might actually go see this - in the movie hall. After Hobbit #1.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Túrin Turambar

Post by Túrin Turambar »

It looks like it's shaping up as another of the solid and well-made but unexceptional biopics we get quite a few of every year. They rarely satisfy people who are intensely interested in their subjects because they almost always need to simplify them, and Tolkien might be no different. But I'll reserve judgement until I see it.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Voronwë the Faithful

And a good one from Jeremy Edmonds of the Tolkien Guide.

https://www.tolkienguide.com/modules/ne ... mpost22276

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I noticed that the limited release is in the Montclair film festival - which is Colbert’s hometown and the film festival was started by him. What a coincidence (not).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

It all seems rather lukewarm?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Frelga wrote:It all seems rather lukewarm?
51% on RT is lukewarm at best.