Most Memorable, etc. (Hobbit films)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Most Memorable, etc. (Hobbit films)

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

[Note: I split this from the main BotFA thread at yov's behest - VtF]

Dormouse at TORN post this at TORN and I found the responses so interesting that I thought I would repost it here and see what folks here have to say:
Now we've seen (almost) the whole trilogy, and we're in awards season anyway, here's a chance to hand out some awards to individual scenes, moments or images from across the three films that stick in the mind....

So, please step up to the plate and hand out your nominations for the scenes you found:

Most memorable

Most moving

Most missed (something from the book that you hoped to see and didn't)

Most appealing visually

Most puzzling

Most amusing

Most like the book

Most unlike the book

Most unexpected

Most imaginative

That's ten. Feel free to pick and choose or nominate all ten, and give reasons if you want to.....
Here was what I posted, so no one can complain that I didn't share my response

Most memorable

There really are too many choices to choose from but I am going to go with the much-maligned, mythic Golden Statue (of course for LOTR I probably would have gone with the equally much-maligned Nazgûl over Osgiliath, so I clearly am nothing but a maverick).

Most moving
Again, so many choices, but it comes down to a tie between Thorin and Balin's entrance to Erebor, and Thorin's death scene with Bilbo. Oh, and honorable mention to the pity of Bilbo for Gollum. I still can't believe how well that was done.

I didn't really expect to see this and I think it probably would have been impossible to capture, but I would have liked to have seen them try:
It was at this point that Bilbo stopped. Going on from there was the bravest thing he ever did. The tremendous things that happened afterward were as nothing compared to it. He fought the real battle in the tunnel alone, before he ever saw the vast danger that lay in wait.
Although the lovely scene with Balin talking about the courage of hobbits was a nice substitute.
Other than that, I would like to have seen Gandalf throwing his voice in order to trap the trolls into being frozen into stone by the sun.

Most appealing visually
Again, too many to chose, but I am going to go with not the Eagles in AUJ (beautiful as that scene was), but instead the Eagles in BotFA, with Thorin seeing them before he collapses.

Most puzzling
Having Galadriel defeat Sauron by tapping into her dark side.

Most amusing
Yet another one that there are too many to chose, but I'll go with a tie between "good morning" and Bilbo realizing the flaw in his plan with the barrels.

Most like the book
Way too many to choose from, but since everyone else is going to chose Riddles in the Dark, I am going to go with the confrontation over the Arkenstone when Bilbo reveals that he took it.

Most unlike the book
The Transformer-Stone Giants.

Most unexpected
Are you really going to make me chose something here? Gotta go with the Feast of Starlight, but I also have to mention again how perfect the pity of Bilbo was.

Most imaginative
All six films.

Here is the thread if you want to see other responses: http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... me;so=DESC;
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SP

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

V-man,

I don't see how your "Most Missed" offering would "probably be impossible to capture," given how inherently cinematic it is. A similar scene preceding a brave choice was handled with considerable aplomb by PJ and company, and that's the few moments before Bilbo runs out of his door. Imagine something tonally similar, yet more frightening, in that long dark tunnel. Imagine Bilbo peering into the dark, and seeing a dot of light far off in the distance, where it finally pierces the sleeping mountain's hide. Imagine Bilbo struggling with his dual Baggins-Took nature, and Freeman acting his heart out as he did in Bag End before signing the contract. Imagine that dot slowly growing larger, as Bilbo willingly advanced upon a sleeping dragon...

It could have been a cinematic triumph...

But after AUJ, I decided to look at a PJ film through his eyes as much as possible. In that context, I found the Bilbo-approaches- Smaug's lair scenes to be fairly good.

I also agree with a lot of V-man's choices, though I would add the above-mentioned scene in Bag End, the firelit "Misty Mountain" chanting session, the Bilbo-Gandalf wordless exchange post-BOFA, and Bilbo's moments in an empty Bag End, to the top of best/ most moving/ most memorable, along with the Balin-Thorin entry into the Mountain.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Most memorable:
The barrel ride - for the wrong reasons!

Most moving:
Since I didn't cry over any of the 3 deaths I'd have to go for Bard telling Bain to "look at me" as he steadies the black arrow on his son's shoulders. Also the look on Thranduil's face at the end when Legolas leaves...

Most missed (something from the book that you hoped to see and didn't):
Like V, I don't think we're going to get this in the EE, so it would have to be the scene from my sig pic, between Thranduil and Bilbo. Likewise
Other than that, I would like to have seen Gandalf throwing his voice in order to trap the trolls into being frozen into stone by the sun.
Most appealing visually:
Normally I'd plump for Rivendell as I adore Alan Lee's designs (sorry PtB!) but the sickly sunset ruined it for me, so I'll choose the Eagles in AUJ

Most puzzling:
Having Galadriel defeat Sauron by tapping into her dark side.
Agreed - that and making Gandalf so weak in comparison

Most amusing:
Bilbo realizing the flaw in his plan with the barrels - and of course Bilbo owning up to Thranduil about taking the keys!

Most like the book:
The Unexpected Party, complete with songs (closely followed by Riddles, naturally!)

Most unlike the book:
AZOG! ;)

Most unexpected:
Nature of Fili's death - and the were-worms!

Most imaginative:
The morning after the Unexpected Party...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks for responding, Elen. I find the different reactions that people to these different categories really interesting!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
LoremIspum

Post by LoremIspum »

Here's mine :D

Most memorable
The acorn scene - made even more beautiful by the final goodbye between Thorin and Bilbo

Most moving
Bilbo in the empty Bag End, the last 10 minutes of BOFA in general

''so snow comes after fire and even dragons have their endings"

Most appealing visually
AUJ - Eagles in the clouds
DOS - I just utterly love Smaug covered in gold bursting through the gate
BOFA - there's a shot of the elven army as seen from afar in Dale and their armor just glitters like gold, Thorin looking through the mithril shirt, the shadows of the eagles above Thorin and Bilbo

Most puzzling
They had three movies and I never felt Kili and Fili's relationship with their uncle was well developed, this was my biggest complaint with BOFA

Most amusing
The arrival of Dain, not very Tolkien but I thought it was great and hilarious

Most like the book
The dinner scene & Riddles in the Dark

Most unlike the book
"won't somebody please think of the children" :nono: just put me right out of the movie

Most unexpected
Smaug and the golden statue - though I loved it

Most imaginative
The barrels, I love the scene, many will disagree, I thought it was pure fun, and Bombur with his ninja skills makes me laugh every time. The title 'Barrel Rider' is truly earned after this madness
Voronwë the Faithful

Nice!

Thanks, LoremIspum. I hope others will post their own as well.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I think this would make a good separate thread. :)
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

I'll split if more people (like you) participate.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I'll participate if people (like you) split it. ;)

(Kidding...I'll post mañana. :))
-The Decemberists

Sunsilver

Re: Most Memorable, etc. (Hobbit films)

Post by Sunsilver »

I would have to see the films again in order to fill this in completely, but here's my thoughts for now:

Most memorable:

Most moving: the dwarves' song at Bag End was so beautiful it brought tears to my eyes!

Most missed: Wish they'd shown Gandalf tricking the trolls in more detail. That would have been a lot of fun!

Most appealing visually: song of the dwarves, with it fading to the exterior visual of Bag End, with smoke and sparks going up the chimney. Close second: Smaug bursting free from his lair in DoS.

Most puzzling: Galadriel drawing on her 'dark side' in Dol Guldur. Second to that, the rabbit sleigh.

Most amusing: Bilbo being taken to task by Thranduil for stealing the keys.

Most like the book: Bag End in AUJ...what a delight that was! And they included the handkerchief, too!

Most unlike the book: Radagast and his sleigh, Azog, Tauriel

Most unexpected: After all the stupid nonsense with the collapsing walkways defying gravity, we get a scene with Bilbo having pity on Gollum that is pretty much straight out of the book! P.J. you can be SO annoying, but when you get something right, well, you get it right!! (With a lot of help from Martin Freeman, of course!)

Most imaginative: Bard's son helping him slay Smaug. Not like the book, but it worked really well for me.
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, Sunny!
(With a lot of help from Martin Freeman, of course!)
And Andy Serkis and the wizards of WETA. Gollum truly looks pitiable. But Martin was amazing in that scene (and so many others.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

This is going off just one viewing of DoS and BOFA so I don't necessarily remember it all super well.

Most memorable
Thought about this for a bit and unfortunately the answer is for a scene I hated. It's when Thorin gets pissy a Bilbo for daring to almost fall off the moving cliff while an avalanche was happening. It might be my most hated line in all the movies.

Most moving
I can't think of any moment where I was deeply moved but the one that most comes to mind is Bilbo's pity on Gollum.

For me, The Hobbit is one of those things that I read and love as a child. Asides from the riddle game, probably the thing that was most iconic to me as a child was the dark, creepy world of Mirkwood. Sadly, for me the movie mostly missed any sense of Mirkwood as a memorably creepy and iconic place so I'd say I most missed the feeling the book gives when going through Mirkwood.

Most appealing visually
Easily the Dol Goldor confrontations. I love Sauron's infinity eye.

Most puzzling
GOLD STATUE GOLD STATUE GOLD STATUE GOLD STATUE GOLD STATUE GOLD STATUE

Most amusing
Bombur's barrel roll! I genuinely LOL'd at that whole thing. :D

Most unexpected
For them to add a made up character for no other reason than to tack on some shallow romantic subplot.
-The Decemberists

Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks, yov.
Sunsilver

Post by Sunsilver »

Most unexpected
For them to add a made up character for no other reason than to tack on some shallow romantic subplot.
Not unexpected for me. Disappointing, yes, but not unexpected. [sigh]
When the night has been too lonely, and the road has been too long,
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong,
Just remember in the winter far beneath the bitter snows,
Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes The Rose.
Daisy

Post by Daisy »

Most memorable;
Bilbo in his bedroom listening to the Dwarves singing and sparks from his fire rising up the chimney in to the starry night.
Most moving;
Thorin's death scene, his last words to Bilbo, as well as Gandalf and Bilbo sitting silently afterwards.
Most missed;
In the book Thorin sends Balin, Bilbo and some dwarfs to scout ahead near Dale. I had hoped that we might get a scene where Balin is reminiscing about Dale to Bilbo as they walked through the ruins.
Most appealing visually;
The Reading of the Moon Runes by moonlight. It had a lovely fairy tale quality to it.

Most puzzling;
Galadriel in Dol Gulder and her transformation. Why did she go all dark? I thought Sauron was more afraid of the light.
Most amusing;
Gandalf’s introduction of the Dwarves to Beorn.
Most like the book;
‘Good Morning’ conversation.
Bilbo and Smaug's interaction.

Most unlike the book;
Everything that Legolas appeared in. I felt he didn’t add anything much to the story, just silly antics.
Most unexpected;
How Fili died. The way this happened took me completely by surprise. It was such an ignoble death.
Also the tapestry from Desolation of Smaug depicting the line of Durin; I am a keen genealogist.
Most imaginative;
Smaug was awesome.I loved the golden statue ( full of the symbolism) and Smaug so mesmerised by the golden Thror. He looked on it the way I look upon a delicious ice-cream desert.
Voronwë the Faithful

Hey Daisy! Great to see you here, and thanks for sharing your answers!
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Okay, off the top of my head, here are mine. I only saw BOFA once, and the other two were a while ago. So I am relying on memory - which might be good, because I will be putting down scenes that really stuck with me.

Most memorable
Freeman's characterisation of Bilbo

Most moving
Bilbo's mercy toward's Gollum.

More of Beorn and Gandalf's smoke rings

Most appealing visually
Hobbiton

Most puzzling
Whole inclusion of Gladriel and the confrontation with The Dark Side
Also that stupid gold statue

Most amusing
Troll scene and Goblin Town

Most like the book
Bag End and "Good Morning." Also the auction scene at the end

Most unlike the book
Anything with Legolas and Tauriel
And Azog

Most unexpected
How some of the dwarves didn't have really decent beards

Most imaginative
Stone giants
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Most memorable : Smaug in all his glory. Simply the best dragon ever seen on film and executed to perfection. I think when lots of these films are blurs in the mind, Smaug will remain crystal clear

Most moving: Balin realizing that Thorin was going mad.

Most missed (something from the book that you hoped to see and didn't) : the line from Thorin on the ramparts of Erebor where he says his mind does not change with the rising and setting of the suns. Its my favorite line from the book.

“Hail Thorin!” said Bard. “Are you still of the same mind?” “My mind does not change with the rising and setting of a few suns,” answered Thorin.

Most appealing visually: Smaug in Erebor

Most puzzling: how Beorn did not break his legs and back dropped from that height from the eagle

Most amusing: watching the dwarves tumble into Bag End

Most like the book: the whole Bag End sequence in the first hour of the first film

Most unlike the book: the orcs participating in the Battle of the Five Armies and all their allies

Most unexpected: the rushed end to film three leaving so much important stuff out after the care taken with its counterpart in LOTR

Most imaginative: Goblin town and Dol Guldur designs
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh hey, why not. I read little of the previous entries, to keep from being influenced by the memories of other posters.

Most memorable
Bilbo waking up at Bag End with the dwarves are gone and resolving to go with them.

Most moving
Probably the riddles. Emotionally, the movies were mostly a miss for me.

"Long will I tarry, ere I begin this war for gold."
The movie Thranduil was fabulous but the book characterization was more layered and interesting

Most appealing visually
Butterflies over the treetops in Mirkwood

Most puzzling
Thranduil's were-scar.

Most amusing
Smash the bottles and burn the corks

Most like the book
Good morning.

Most unlike the book
Bard repeatedly giving important tasks to the single person who is simultaneously the least trustworthy and the least competent. The movies would have about 17.6% better with no Alfrid in them at all.

Most unexpected
The quick butchering of Fili. Surprisingly effective.

Most imaginative
Thorin's recognition of his madness and drowning in gold.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Thanks Frelga, and sf. I find the varying answers very interesting.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk