When will you be seeing BotFA

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: When will you be seeing BotFA

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I hope you like it Jude. All kidding aside, I really did quite like it a lot. The issues that I had were pretty niggly, and the things that I liked, I really liked a lot. I was quite moved by it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Helm Hammerhand

Post by Helm Hammerhand »

:thumbsup: Glad to hear that, Voronwë! And have fun, Jude.
Voronwë the Faithful

I won't have an opportunity to write a proper review until I am back home, but I will say that the things that bothered others were NOT the things that bothered me, for the most part. I actually quite enjoyed Legolas's stunts in this, and thought that they were integrated into the story much more than the previous stunts, other than the first one in FOTR when he killed the troll. And I appreciated the romance, despite the clunky dialogue. I thought Beorn's role was fine for the theatrical release, though I look forward to more in the EE. As Mike Drout pointed out in his mostly negative review, Thranduil wasn't so much Thingol-like as "Curfin or Celegorm, one of the sons of Fëanor in all their power, beauty and total jerkitude." I had mixed feelings about Galadriel; I'll have to see it again to judge. Probably what I liked least was Elrond's line about staying dead (which shows how minor my niggles really were). I was surprised that nothing that I had read mentioned that Gandalf's line "You are a very fine person, Mr. Baggins, and I am very fond of you; but you are only quite a little fellow in a wide world after all!" was actually in the film; I loved hearing that, and that whole scene, and the whole ending. But there was many little moments thru out the film that made me smile, through the copious tension.

If I had to choose one word to describe the film, it would be "intense". And yes, I cried quite a bit at Thorin's death scene, which Richard and Martin nailed, nailed, nailed.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

Really glad you liked it Voronwë.Galadriel vs Sauron was much better the second time i watched the film in digital 2D.
Voronwë the Faithful

The 3D is really unnecessary, but the HFR on a really good IMAX screen was wonderful.

Thorin's dragon sickness was way over the top, as you would expect in a Peter Jackson film. Very well done, but way over the top.

I loved the Elves charging over the Dwarves' shields. And so many great visual moments. And character moments (I really will need to see it again to pull out the ones that I liked the best). What puzzles me as how anyone could say that Bilbo was sidelined in this film. He was so obviously the real hero, and the emotional anchor of this story.

Did I mention that I really liked the romance? I didn't expect that at all! I know some people thought it was unbelievable that they could have such strong feelings so quickly, but as someone who was the victim/beneficiary of love at first site, I didn't not have an issue with that. I thought Lilly did a wonderful job, even with some bad lines. And actually liked Orlando Bloom in this film (both his acting and his stunts). But Lee Pace, wow!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I can't believe that my family is in a bigger hurry to see the movie than I am. :D If it rains tomorrow, we might go. But I hate crowded theaters and would rather wait.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Part of me wants to go see the movie today in the new Bay Street IMAX and part of me quails at the idea of being in the Bay Street and Shellmound shopping district on the last Saturday before Christmas.
:scarey:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

There's no way I'm going anywhere near there today. I'm not.

Although I remember last year, after the shops closed, it was easy to park in the Christmas tree parking lot,
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is this the spoiler-free or spoiler-full thread? Before I go spilling any beans...

By the way, we went to the earliest showing on a Saturday and had absolutely no trouble finding parking or excellent seats together in the theatre.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

And in a few hours I shall return with the opinions you've all really been waiting for - all I ask for is that there be nothing as stupid as giant golden statues. :P
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Oh - then you won't like the part where Oscar the Grouch makes a cameo as an orc mercenary.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

4 hours till my fateful journey into Tolkien's world goes full circle with the last of ME-films. (Though there'll be multiple viewings of course)
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

But wait - there's the EE next November. Then it will be finished.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Saw it this afternoon, HFR 3D on a whopping big but non-IMAX screen.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

It's possible the EE will be released earlier this year, as PJ doesn't have a fourth Hobbit film to release in December!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Just sat down in theater. Showed up 20 minutes early to make sure it wouldn't be sold out. There's no one else here. :suspicious:
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Haha! I can't count the times that has happened to us...

In any event, hope you enjoy yourself!
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I made sure I was the last to leave too. A fitting end; I liked it a lot.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Happened to me with Ender's Game. We went with another family, who were fans of the book, and they were sure it will be super crowded. Nope.

I wish BOTFA well, but for my sake, I hope we'll have the same experience.

Elentári

Post by Elentári »

We went opening weekend over here - Sunday night 14th - although the film had been showing since the Friday afternoon (or 12 am Thurs if you went to the double bill with DoS on the Weds evening) and honestly there were only around 40 people there. Really surprised...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes