When will you be seeing BotFA

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: When will you be seeing BotFA

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Thorin's dragon sickness was way over the top, as you would expect in a Peter Jackson film. Very well done, but way over the top.
Question. If you think it was "way over the top," why do you also think it was "very well done?"
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not to answer for anyone else, but sometimes you want grandiose, sometimes subtle. There's room for both. I found Thorin OTT, but in a Shakespearian style. Some might hate that, I loved it.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I thought it worked really well asides from a couple bits that were visually just kinda wonky (mainly some of the fever dream bits) but really they were just those couple moments. Otherwise, Armitage pulled off.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Alatar wrote:Not to answer for anyone else, but sometimes you want grandiose, sometimes subtle. There's room for both. I found Thorin OTT, but in a Shakespearian style. Some might hate that, I loved it.
I didn't hate it, honestly. Especially once I embraced the style of the film, I came to like it. But I didn't love it. If it was dialed down just a couple decibels, it would have been perfect.

I didn't get a very Shakespearean vibe from it, though. More akin to Verdi or Puccini. Operatic rather than dramatic...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

yovargas wrote:I thought it worked really well asides from a couple bits that were visually just kinda wonky (mainly some of the fever dream bits) but really they were just those couple moments. Otherwise, Armitage pulled off.
I would agree with this, although I really need to see it again.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I still haven't seen it. :( And won't see it today. :(
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful

I hope you get to see it soon!

---------
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Well, after some of your posts in "All the glorious moments" and other threads, I was persuaded to give the Hobbit films a second chance. After seeing AUJ in theaters, I decided that I didn't feel like watching the rest of the trilogy. However, I'm now about to watch DoS EE, and will likely go to see BotFA in theaters before it stops showing. I think already having been spoiled about most of the changes and choices I'll likely dislike will allow me to try and find the parts I do enjoy. I'm curious to find out what this 'Feast of Starlight' is about, for example! And though Ngila Dickson wasn't able to design for the Hobbit trilogy, I suspect I'll still enjoy elements in the film stemming from concept art by Lee and Howe. Who knows - I may even enjoy parts that (when reading about them in spoilers) I didn't like the sound of and expected I would be displeased! It probably helps that this time, I will not have just finished a reread of the book a few days before seeing the film.

About to take the plunge - maybe I'll watch AUJ again before seeing the next two.
Voronwë the Faithful

Good luck, Tyrhael! I hope you find at least some things that you enjoy.

---------
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I gave up finding someone to see it with, and went and saw it all by myself (well, in a theater full of people) in the new IMAX theater, which was actually just a regular stadium sized screen, so perhaps they should have called it an IMIN, but it was actually more enjoyable than the traditional 4 story high screen that is a little hard on the brain. There was one moment in which my inner civil engineer sprang to the surface and said "hey wait, you can't do that with stone work!" (the same inner voice of reason who had no trouble with suspending disbelief around dragons). But other than that, I was pleasantly surprised at how much I liked it. I may have to see it again.

And now on to read about a thousand posts marked "SPOILER" that I've been trying not to look at....

And if my posting style sounds a little breathless and convoluted, well, I blame the movie.
:D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Voronwë the Faithful

Breathless and convoluted. That's not a bad review of the film, right there. ;) Glad you liked it!
Tyrhael

Post by Tyrhael »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Good luck, Tyrhael! I hope you find at least some things that you enjoy.
Thank you! I enjoyed AUJ much more the second time around. Sure, there were still parts I didn't like at all (while some I didn't mind as much this time having already known of them), but I had forgotten about many parts I did enjoy - particularly the visuals, with landscapes, sets, costumes/props, etc. Overall I think my opinion of AUJ is probably similar to that of some of the LotR films: overall enjoyable, with attractive visuals, and some things I wish had been done differently. Nothing worth 'skipping the trilogy' over, if the following two films are similar!

I wouldn't mind watching AUJ a third time sometime (though I may skip some scenes). Now on to DoS, which I haven't seen any of - and then hopefully BotFA (which is what this thread is about). Then I can be on-topic for once :D
Voronwë the Faithful

In my opinion, the quality of the three films is pretty consistent, but they are pretty different films nonetheless. I'll be curious to see what your reaction to DoS is, and then BotFA. I won't say anything more because I don't want to colour your experience.
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

So I finally watched the DOS EE yesterday and am going to my second viewing of BOFA in an hour. We'll see how it works out in continuity.
Voronwë the Faithful

Enjoy!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts, SV!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Have to say, it worked much better as a whole! :)
Details elsewhere.