BotFA professional reviews

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Beutlin

Re: BotFA professional reviews

Post by Beutlin »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Honestly, I think Metacritic gives a far more accurate picture of how a film is reviewed. I don't check RT at all anymore.
I concur. Both, however, do not tell you if a film is really good or not.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:The reviewers choose whether to label their reviews fresh or rotten, so the star count doesn't matter in that regard.
Not always. If the reviewer doesn't do so, it is up to the RT editors. As they say on their FAQ:

"Most critics from the Online Film Critics Society (OFCS) enter their own quotes and ratings. For critics who don't enter in their own quotes and ratings, it's basically up to the judgment of the editors. They take into account word choice, rating (if any), tone, and who the critic is in their determination of whether a review is positive or not.

If an editor is not certain about a review, it is sent to another editor for a second opinion. "Wishy-washy" reviews or reviews where it's difficult to determine if the critic recommends the film are usually given a Rotten rating. We figure if the critic is not confident enough to give the movie even an implied recommendation, then we shouldn't either."
Honestly, I think Metacritic gives a far more accurate picture of how a film is reviewed. I don't check RT at all anymore.
I don't put much stock in any of it, but I find it entertaining to track.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Necromancer Rising

Post by Necromancer Rising »

ComicBookMovie 4/5

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/ ... /?a=112064

"That aside, this is still the strongest film in The Hobbit trilogy, and I personally enjoyed it more than The Two Towers which I always found to be the weakest of The Lord Of The Rings movies. If you weren't a fan of the previous instalments this one is unlikely to make you one, but everyone else should prepare themselves for an incredible spectacle, and a genuinely emotional clash of friends and foes to bring a more than satisfactory end to what has been an amazing saga."
Voronwë the Faithful

That's a great review!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Beutlin wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote:Honestly, I think Metacritic gives a far more accurate picture of how a film is reviewed. I don't check RT at all anymore.
I concur. Both, however, do not tell you if a film is really good or not.
And don't answer the really important question, which is whether I (and any individual viewer) will enjoy it.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Necromancer Rising

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That's a great review!
Indeed,great review. I always find pleasure when i see my own personal opinions reflected in a different person than me. I cannot argue with many of the reviewer's points even the negative ones apart from his opinion on TTT, which is up-todate my favourite Middle Earth film.
Voronwë the Faithful

Empire review added, inching up to 77%

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

The only reviews I pay any attention to are those that come from critics that I normally agree with. And that's a pretty small bunch.
Necromancer Rising

Scotsman 4/5.Soon to be added in RT

http://www.scotsman.com/what-s-on/film/ ... -1-3627739

"The Hobbit has moments of visual splendour, fizzing imagination and fervour, but it lacks the grandeur of Jackson’s The Lord Of The Rings films – although, like The Return Of The King, Five Armies also has about four or five false endings. "
Necromancer Rising

Dominic Corry a RT approved critic with a very positive review in a form of an interview.Looking forward to his written one. 4/5

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/movie- ... eo-6188016
Voronwë the Faithful

Have we seen this one, from The List: http://film.list.co.uk/article/66882-th ... ve-armies/?

It and the Scotsman review have been added to RT, rising the 'all critics' score to 78%. Top critics are still at 80%. Metacritic is still at 62 with the same 13 critics.
Necromancer Rising

I had not seen the one from "The List" Voronwë. Thas is a good sign. Based on the reviews i have collected so far,we are still waiting 19 fresh 2 rotten(Telegraph-Oregon Herald) and based on twitter reactions 2 more rotten by SlashFilms and ScreenCrush.

RT score is at 79% right now.
Voronwë the Faithful

I guess they hadn't adjusted the score to 79 yet when I checked earlier, even though they had added both reviews.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk
Necromancer Rising

It happened to me all the time but now i have the calculator open so i instantly divide the number of fresh reviews/overall number of reviews and have the actual score before it is adjusted :)
Voronwë the Faithful

:)

By my calculation, the total would be up to 80% when including all the reviews that you have gathered, plus the two likely rotten ones to come.
Necromancer Rising

NME.COM-Nick Levine 4/5 Soon to be added in RT

http://www.nme.com/movies/reviews/the-h ... mies/15843

"Jackson drags out the closing scenes, though. It's almost as if the director can't bring himself to say goodbye after so painstakingly bringing Tolkien’s universe to life with his Lord Of The Rings and Hobbit trilogies – but the blend of emotional drama and spectacular CGI is so effective that it’s easy to forgive him. This misstep doesn't stop The Battle Of The Five Armies from being the tightest and most satisfying of the Hobbit films and, ultimately, a truly epic finale."
Necromancer Rising

Gazzete UK 6/10

A short but rather negative review with only a few bits of praise. Soon to be added in RT.

http://www.basingstokegazette.co.uk/lei ... ve_Armies/
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SP

3/5 "Globes" from Metro.us (already added to RT):

http://www.metro.us/entertainment/revie ... kTs0vkWg6/
Voronwë the Faithful

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies fan reviews... SP

Necromancer Rising

This is one of the rotten we expected by Slash Films 4/10

http://www.slashfilm.com/hobbit-the-bat ... es-review/