It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 8:50 pm 
1000%

For me it is just the opposite! I dislike 3D except with the HFR, which makes it so much smoother and less headache-inducing. That having been said, I fully endorse you guys not seeing it in HFR since it is likely to just ruin the experience for you. However, I do think that to some extent the differing experiences that people have had with HFR is partly due to different quality theaters, which is why I am stoked to be seeing it in one of the highest quality theaters in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:12 pm 
1000%

I like this comment from the amusingly-named L. Ron Halfelven at TORN:

Quote:
In narrative terms the movie leaves a number of loose ends dangling, but on an emotional level it rounds the story off beautifully and feels right. I felt quite a bit better about the trilogy as a whole having seen it.

Would you agree with that, Tele?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:51 pm 

For me, 3D always looks a bit artificial, just by its very nature. So in terms of the complaints that 3D HFR doesn't "look like film", my response is, "Of course it doesn't! And neither does regular 3D!" For me, the incredible clarity of the image, the lack of stuttering during pans or tracking/swooping shots, the overall brightness -- all of this more than compensates for me occasionally spotting something "stagy" (which, frankly, happens sometimes for me even with normal movies).

Cameron is shooting the AVATAR sequels in HFR... it'll be interesting to see how another director's version of it looks.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:57 pm 

Question: why is "brightness" seen as a good thing? My main problem with the aesthetics of these films (apart from the HFR) is that they seem incredibly over lit. Just compare the Bag End interior scenes in FOTR to those in AUJ. The latter have light sources coming from all over the place (including the ceiling), while the former seems to generally reflect natural light sources (with all the attendant shadows). I laughed at loud when in AUJ, Gandalf said: "Let us have a little more light!" Seemed like an inside joke.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:06 pm 

Passdagas the Brown wrote:
Question: why is "brightness" seen as a good thing? My main problem with the aesthetics of these films (apart from the HFR) is that they seem incredibly over lit. Just compare the Bag End interior scenes in FOTR to those in AUJ. The latter have light sources coming from all over the place (including the ceiling), while the former seems to generally reflect natural light sources (with all the attendant shadows). I laughed at loud when in AUJ, Gandalf said: "Let us have a little more light!" Seemed like an inside joke.

Brightness because one of the huge downsides to 3D is a lot of light is lost during projection (because it has to pass through polarized glasses). I'm not refering to the brightness of the image as planned by the DP and/or director... just to the light lost during the presentation, which (if you watch a typical 3D presentation) is actually dimmer than what they want.

Generally speaking, I think PJ's always been too bright with his night scenes, even in LOTR. It's great for showing off the fantastic work that the production team did with their sets, but less dramatic than I would prefer (perfect example: Moria).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:00 am 
1000%

Hey Tele, another question for you, though I think I probably know the answer. Is there any sense that Sauron is feigning being defeated so that he can withdraw to Mordor. I doubt it, but I was wondering.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:50 am 

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Hey Tele, another question for you, though I think I probably know the answer. Is there any sense that Sauron is feigning being defeated so that he can withdraw to Mordor. I doubt it, but I was wondering.

No sense of that at all.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:52 am 

My Hobbit marathon starts in six hours. I am going to see "The Battle of the Five Armies" in twelve hours. I won't publish a review today, but be sure to look out for it on Wednesday. Should I post it here or will there be a specific "Hall-of-Fire-review-thread"?

And now, I go forth and prepare for glory! :horse:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:55 pm 
1000%

I think this thread should suffice. I look forward to hearing your thoughts, both about BotFA specifically and the experience of seeing all three in a row.

Have fun!!!!!11

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:54 am 
1000%

Now that folks at TORN are actually seeing the film (at least the Europeans), comments there are suddenly much more positive than when people were just angsting over the comments that others have made.

And the consensus seems to be that Dain is not CGI (other than long shots on the pig, etc.).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:55 am 
1000%

We should be hearing from Beutlin soon, no?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:39 am 

An acquaintance of mine (on another board) just saw it in Germany, and (mostly) loved it. (To be fair, he also really enjoyed parts 1 and 2).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:44 am 
1000%

Well, I mostly enjoyed the first two as well, particularly DoS, so hopefully I'll agree with him again.

---------
Sent from my LG G3 using tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:08 am 

Now that folks at TORN are actually seeing the film (at least the Europeans), comments there are suddenly much more positive than when people were just angsting over the comments that others have made.

And the consensus seems to be that Dain is not CGI (other than long shots on the pig, etc.).

And the consensus from imdb members who have watched the film claim the same thing about Dain. And even there,so far,the comments are much more positive so far which is a bit encouraging. I cannot believe i have to wait 8 days until it opens in my country :bawl:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:15 am 
1000%

We'll know every detail by the time we get to see it!

---------

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:20 am 

I avoid reading the detailed descriptions of specific scenes so far. I only have a general idea of what happens. I am still in the dark as far as the execution is concerned. When are you seeing it Voronwë?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:28 am 
1000%

12/19 in New York. If you look down a few threads, there is one called "When will you be seeing BotFA?"

Good for you at avoiding spoilers. Not I, I'm afraid.

---------

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:58 pm 
Wrong within normal parameters

But holy moley are those people obsessed with Beorn.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:08 pm 
1000%

Some of them. I'm perfectly happy with the reports of what we are getting of Beorn in the TE, particularly since (like with DoS), we can look forward to more in the EE. From all reports, the largest focus is on Bilbo's relationship with Thorin, which pleases me very much.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:21 pm 
of Vinyamar

Are these the same people who wailed about him looking like Sonic the Hedgehog in the last movie?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 666 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 34  Next