The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Re: The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Elentári »

And the cinema manager who confirmed the runtime estimate, above, has watched the trailer FOUR Times already! Here's his spoiler-free summary:
I just watched it four times...

...and you don't want it spoiled, believe me. It's incredible! So good. However, if you want some mild hints...

- The first word is 'Thorin'
- A lot of the trailer focuses on his choices
- Thranduil remains awesome.
- A shot of one character drawing a sword made me yelp in excitement. It's followed by an incredible line reading.
- Gandalf gets the last line of the last Middle-Earth trailer

That's your lot - there's so much to see in the trailer. It looks amazing.
He also goes on to say he doesn't rate it as highly as the ROTK or even the TTT trailers, but
regardless, it's still a great trailer. I was impressed with how much focus they give to Thorin's culpability.
And regarding the music:
I could be wrong but it sounds more like generic, epic trailer music. Not that it's a bad thing but it certainly didn't sound like Shore and contained no Middle-Earth themes.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

Post by Elentári »

HD Trailer Stills from German site Herr-der-ringe-film.de

Including one of "tragic love" duo Kili and Tauriel...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Don't you mean the cross-species tragic love ... of Galadriel and Gandalf? ;)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

So I guess there is a leaked version of the trailer out there some place. But I'm still going to wait for the HD version. Some interesting things in it, based on some of the comments that I have seen at TORN.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I missed the leaked one on TORn - just as well as I would have clicked on it!
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Trailer, anyone? ETA: Edited to replace with 48 FPS version

Last edited by Elentári on Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Now they're stuck trying to explain why the Nazgûl were so much cooler looking decades before Sauron reached his peak. :P

Seriously, a very cool trailer. I really wasn't even sure what kind of content we could expect from this last film, so it was nice to see things like
Hidden text.
Gundabad, the White Council on the attack, and contention within the company
Last edited by Dave_LF on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

My advice: don't watch it. It spoils way too much. But if you do watch it don't watch the imbedded version (unless you can figure out how to get full screen, which I can't seem to do).

I actually watched it straight through twice and then rewatched several portions again. I've never done that before.

Best lines are from Thranduil, Dwalin, and of course Saruman.
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit: BotFA Trailer discussion with SPOILERS

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

Great trailer (until the very end, when we get the now obligatory Bard on a cart, and elves getting tossed by CGI orcs). I'm a little concerned that nearly every landscape and shot seems to be fake, but that visual style is already established and to be expected.

Very excited to see what seems to be some meaty acting from the leads, including Kili.

No shots of the Iron Hill dwarves at all, which is interesting...
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Clicking on the rectangle for full-screen worked for me just now with the embedded version... <shrug>

Never mind the good/bad CGI arguments raging elsewhere, I just can't believe we have yet another recycled line from the first trilogy - Legolas on the bats: "bred for a single purpose....war"

Didn't like what we saw for the resolution of the Kili-Tauriel storyline - the guesswork has been pretty accurate regarding her being given the rune-stone - but will she survive to return it to Dis???

Other than that, it looks very promising, in terms of character moments, on the whole...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

What do think about the Dol Guldur stuff?

Yes, interesting about no Iron Hills dwarves, but I continue to maintain that there is no way they or Dain or cut or even significantly reduced.

I loved, loved, loved Dwalin's line to Thorin. And such a pleasure to see Thranduil looking real. I'm even okay with him continuing to seem like a baddie. But he doesn't really kill Tauriel, does he?

Added: Elen, good (about the full-screen). Maybe it is an IE thing? And yeah I picked that up about Legolas's line, but it didn't really bother me.
Passdagas the Brown

I think the Dol Guldur stuff looks great, no matter the canon departure.

I also loved Dwalin's line and delivery, though I have difficulty taking that character seriously because of his ridiculously fake-looking facial hair. Like a character from a French farce I saw once. But McTavish is in fine form there. First time I've seen him not growling.

I am not worried about the Iron Hill dwarves being cut, especially as we've seen them in previous trailers and in posters. But I do think it's possible that Dain's role has been drastically reduced for the theatrical. We've seen absolutely nothing of Billy Connolly...

I think a lot of the "Massive" shots (if they are still using that technology) look painfully fake, though. Particularly the ones of the elven army lined up before the front gate.

Absolutely delighted to see the return of Thranduil's elk! My favorite creative flourish of PJ's.
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't think so, but honestly I would not be that disappointed if it were true. I don't think Dain's role is crucial to the story.
First time I've seen him not growling.
I think that is a big part of why the line is so affecting, and one reason I have mixed feelings about having watched the trailer at all (not that I was ever going to not watch it).

"Leave Sauron to me!"
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:I think a lot of the "Massive" shots (if they are still using that technology) look painfully fake, though. Particularly the ones of the elven army lined up before the front gate.
That sort of thing has always looked worse in the trailers than it ended up being in the final product.

But I find the massive shots kind of boring at this point anyway. I think they could replace them all with claymation without having much effect on my enjoyment.
Passdagas the Brown

Kili's line to Thorin is also revealing, though not necessarily illuminating:

"I will not hide, while others fight our battles for us!"

What's he referring to here? Is he talking about Thorin hiding in the mountain while the Iron Hill dwarves attack the elves and men? Is he talking about Thorin hiding while the elves, men and dwarves fight off Sauron's army?

Some questions that need answering...
Voronwë the Faithful

Passdagas the Brown wrote:Kili's line to Thorin is also revealing, though not necessarily illuminating:

"I will not hide, while others fight our battles for us!"

What's he referring to here? Is he talking about Thorin hiding in the mountain while the Iron Hill dwarves attack the elves and men? Is he talking about Thorin hiding while the elves, men and dwarves fight off Sauron's army?

Some questions that need answering...
I think he is referring to the latter, although obviously we don't know yet.
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

In the book, Thorin and co. spend much of the battle barricaded inside the mountain until they burst out at a key moment to (briefly) save the day. Maybe that little detail is being preserved.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, I think that is likely, although I also suspect that Kili at least might "burst out" earlier than Thorin.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Agreed...

And, absolutely no focus on Fili....again. :(
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I still think he might have his moments to shine, though certainly not based on this trailer.

Do we see all 9 of the Nine? I only count 8.