New Zealand Contest

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
sauronsfinger

New Zealand Contest

Post by sauronsfinger »

Here is a link to the big contest:

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/08 ... w-zealand/

Can somebody please explain to me in plain english what anyone has to do to win and what I can and cannot do? :scratch:

I read the rules and frankly know less know that when I began. :(
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: New Zealand Contest

Post by Jude »

Well, to start you need a facebook or twitter account to enter.

*sigh* :(
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

And you need to produce a video to persuade the judges that you are the biggest Hobbit fan evah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Seems you also need to find the right website to enter, for the part of the world in which you reside. TORn have helpfully given US residents the link to their page:

http://www.thehobbitfancontest.com/us/
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

so here is my concern: I thought my ticket in would be my massive collection of stuff that shows I am one of the deserving fans. I have a 20 x 20 foot room jam packed with stuff from the movies (80%) and other non related film items like paintings. But then I read this in the rules
Your Entrant Content must not contain any content (including any text, photograph, image, or artwork) that is owned by any person or entity other than you unless it: (i) is in the public domain, (ii) is among the Warner Bros. Content, or (iii) is, as determined by the Judges in their sole discretion, non-infringing use of third-party content that is incidental, in the background, and/or not the focal point of any Entrant Content. (Notwithstanding and without limiting the foregoing, the Entrant Content may not include content from the unpublished book The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien or any text, photograph, image, or artwork from the books or films comprising The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which include The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, and The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.)
So does that mean I cannot use any of that stuff to show what a great fan I am? Or am I reading this wrong?
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Sounds like it, sf...I don't know if it is really a "copyright" issue, or whether they want to focus on the impact Tolkien has had on people's lives, rather than simply personal collections of memorabilia.

If it helps, there was a thread over on TORn about Bombadil's entry in the Denny's competition, which had the same rules:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/g ... 20;#659554

I'm sure you can find plenty other aspects to focus on for your entry....Good luck, anyway! :hug:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Actually the way I read that, it's okay to have film content (including memorabilia) but not book content or books memorabilia, because they're looking for the biggest fan of the movies, and as Elen points out, they can't use something they don't have the rights to in promotions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I'm really not sure. That couldn't be more vague if they tried to make it so.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."