The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Post by Alatar »

Its official. From PJs FB page.
Inside Information...

Our journey to make The Hobbit Trilogy has been in some ways like Bilbo's own, with hidden paths revealing their secrets to us as we've gone along. “There and Back Again” felt like the right name for the second of a two film telling of the quest to reclaim Erebor, when Bilbo’s arrival there, and departure, were both contained within the second film. But with three movies, it suddenly felt misplaced—after all, Bilbo has already arrived “there” in the "Desolation of Smaug".

When we did the premiere trip late last year, I had a quiet conversation with the studio about the idea of revisiting the title. We decided to keep an open mind until a cut of the film was ready to look at. We reached that point last week, and after viewing the movie, we all agreed there is now one title that feels completely appropriate.

And so: "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies" it is.

As Professor Tolkien intended, “There and Back Again” encompasses Bilbo’s entire adventure, so don’t be surprised if you see it used on a future box-set of all three movies.

Before then however, we have a film to finish, and much to share with you. It’s been a nice quiet time for us—Jabez and I happily editing away in a dark cave in Wellington—but those halcyon days are quickly coming to an end. It will soon be time to step into the light. Expect to see and hear much about The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies in the coming months.

And there’s also The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug Extended Cut, which we’re in the process of finishing, with over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore.

It’ll be a fun year!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

So, was the "Into the Fire" thing to soften the blow? Certainly the Battle of the Five Armies is better than that, although I would have preferred that they stick to TABA. His reasoning does make a certain amount of sense.

Meanwhile, "over 25 mins of new scenes, all scored with original music composed by Howard Shore." Woot.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Jackson's reasoning makes sense to me...

Good news about the DoS EE, too! :happydance:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Of course, before we get too excited about the EE news, we should remember that Jackson initially overstated that length of the additional scenes for the AUJ EE. Hopefully that won't be the case this time.

And I hope that the new title is an indication that Smaug will be disposed of fairly early in the film so they can move on to the titular battle, and not an indication that he will be part of the titular battle.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Meh. Just meh.

Good news about the EE though.
Voronwë the Faithful

Why, "meh". Why exactly is "There and Back Again" a better title than "The Battle of Five Armies" for the third film of three films? Be as specific as you can. I am genuinely curious to know.

A particularly smart person at TORN points out that while Jackson did overstate the extra material for AUJ EE, this time the fact that there is supposedly new original music from Shore would seem to indicate that the estimate is more accurate.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:D

Jackson's original estimate for AUJ EE was also almost immediately after the release of AUJ, well before the re-jigging of the storyline for Thrain and Dol Guldur.
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Why, "meh". Why exactly is "There and Back Again" a
better title than "The Battle of Five Armies" for the third film of
three films? Be as specific as you can. I am genuinely curious to know.

A particularly smart person at TORN points out that while Jackson did
overstate the extra material for AUJ EE, this time the fact that there
is supposedly new original music from Shore would seem to indicate that
the estimate is more accurate.
1. There and Back Again is a more unusual and interesting title. BOFA sounds like the title for a video game.
2. It represents that the story is now not of Bilbo, but one from an outside perspective - which DoS shows.
3. I find Jackson's reasoning odd. Yes they have been "there" now. But they are still there.

Anyway, its better than Into the Fire. But I don't put much into titles as it is.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Ugh. The battle is the one thing I am least interested in seeing, but of course it's going to be the focus of the entire movie. I agree with SV, it sounds like a videogame.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Well, I agree with your last sentence, at least. :)
Smaug's voice
Nibonto Aagun

Post by Smaug's voice »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Well, I agree with your last sentence, at least. :)
*looks around* me?
Well, that's good! :D
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, you. I do not agree with dear Frelga's last sentence, not at all. It doesn't sound like a videogame. It sounds like Tolkien's name for the battle that forms the heart of the last part of the story being adapted. It makes perfect sense. Truth be told, I have long felt a little odd about having only part of the story called "There and Back Again" and so I am glad that that title has been set aside for now (you can bet that Jackson's prediction about the box set will come true).
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

No issues with the title here. I agree with Voronwë that “There and Back Again” would have felt odd as a title for just the last part of the story. If the Hobbit had been turned into two films I would have preferred "The Hobbit: Fire and Water" as a second title though.

Now I am looking forward to the Extended Edition of “The Desolation of Smaug”.

Also, check out PJ’s Facebook post from March 11th. https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter-ja ... 4838546558
Reminds me once more that PJ is really a good fellow.

(And might I say: Given that some have described “death” as the major theme of “The Lord of the Rings” I find it somewhat intriguing that both Middle-Earth trilogies evidently involved two young artists who wrote about their early death).
Last edited by Beutlin on Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

There are way too many THEs in these titles. THE Hobbit: THE Desolation of Smaug. THE Hobbit: THE Battle of Five Armies. A little awkward. This is not different from how the LOTR books are named, but then those weren't Tolkien's preferred titles.

And I agree with SV. Having War in a title is fine. But "Battle" seems to shrink the scope of the film, and also says nothing about the story. So it's a battle. Great...

But I'm thrilled about the 25 minutes. Not least because I was right about a longer extended cut this time and Voronwë was wrong. :)
Passdagas the Brown

I also hope that the battle doesn't totally swallow the film as Helm's Deep did TTT. That was my least favorite sequence across the LOTR films.
Beutlin

Post by Beutlin »

Passdagas the Brown wrote:This is not different from how the LOTR books are named, but then those weren't Tolkien's preferred titles.
So I suppose a long and "the"-heavy title is pretty much canon. :D
Passdagas the Brown

Yes. Purists were harping on and an about the lack of a THE in the subtitle of the first Hobbit film.

But these past two titles are far too specific, with formal nouns forming both subtitles. The last one referred to the formal name of a geographic location, and this one refers to the formal name of a specific battle. More general titles that more simply describe the dynamics of the story, as with LOTR, would be preferable.

But I would guess that WB may have focus group tested TABA and found that the title didn't excite a general audience.
Last edited by Passdagas the Brown on Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

For one thing, it's a spoiler. :P
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

No kidding! I mean; I totally saw four armies happening, but five is a total giveaway.
Passdagas the Brown

Definitely a spoiler. Unlike Dave, I figured there would be five armies, but I was expecting a skirmish, not a battle.

Boo to PJ.