Peter Jackson Hates Railings

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Peter Jackson Hates Railings

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

The bridges in his films rarely, if ever, have railings.

Discuss.
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

Their presence clutters up the scene. Their absence adds drama.
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Passdagas the Brown

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

River wrote:Their presence clutters up the scene. Their absence adds drama.
That's a brilliant answer. I have nothing to say in response. End of discussion?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If so, it was still worthwhile!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

well I would agree it adds drama to the LOTR films but with TH I don't think so as much there never is any fear of danger for the characters in the Hobbit IMO. There is always so much excessive falling from heights that are ridiculous that railings or not the result would be the same. Everyone safe as a baby in its mothers arms. LOTR there were injuries due to falls so no railings would have added some sense of fear or danger even if in some small way.

wheres the pancake rabbit emoticon? :D
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Osha is a character in George R. R. Martin's creative universe, not Jackson's.
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

narya wrote:Osha is a character in George R. R. Martin's creative universe, not Jackson's.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

For non-US posters. OSHA - Occupational Safety and Health Administration
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Lets not make LotR immune from this! We have Aragorn's Cliff Dive and Sam Gamgee's tumble down the stairs of Cirith Ungol to consider for the impractical falls category, not to mention the gravity defying Moria staircase! Then we have the magical teleportation of Denethor Flambe from Rath Dinen to the prow of Minas Tirith, and Elronds ability to pop over with a sword to Aragorn in Dunharrow, a feat Radagast seems to share in AUJ. We shan't get into the practicality of arrows in a Mumakil's side as steps and handholds for a full size elf. Then there's the mind bending physics of Orthanc, where Saruman was able to chat with the guys 500 feet below, and despite falling pretty much dead weight, managed to land on a spike at least 50 feet away based on its distance from the Base!

Oh yes, I think we have plenty to discuss!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Alatar wrote:Lets not make LotR immune from this! We have Aragorn's Cliff Dive and Sam Gamgee's tumble down the stairs of Cirith Ungol to consider for the impractical falls category, not to mention the gravity defying Moria staircase! Then we have the magical teleportation of Denethor Flambe from Rath Dinen to the prow of Minas Tirith, and Elronds ability to pop over with a sword to Aragorn in Dunharrow, a feat Radagast seems to share in AUJ. We shan't get into the practicality of arrows in a Mumakil's side as steps and handholds for a full size elf. Then there's the mind bending physics of Orthanc, where Saruman was able to chat with the guys 500 feet below, and despite falling pretty much dead weight, managed to land on a spike at least 50 feet away based on its distance from the Base!

Oh yes, I think we have plenty to discuss!
LOTR wasn't immune to it but it was kept to a minimum in comparison to AUJ. LOTR at least tried to base everything in realism AUJ not so much.

Aragorn's cliff fall, and Sam tumbling down the stairs are believable because they could really happen. There have been many cases of people faling many feet and surviving . Aragorn was obviously injured to some extent (not seriously but still visibly hurt) Sam well not so much but he really didn't fall THAT far. He was probably sore after his fall they just didn't show it as much as they should have.

Heres a video of a guy falling 300 to 500 ft landing on rocks and survived. Aragorn landed in water. water, which don't know how deep it was nor how long he was unconscious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SI88uRuVjA

As far as Saruman conversing with Gandalf and them way below well that might not be realistic but it beats having people or dwarfs fall hundreds of feet without so much as a scratch. Elves being able to jump 30 feet in the air or jump down 50 feet onto an opponent.

And as far as distance goes Jackson never did understand the scope and size of middle earth. There were always issues for me on that but in the scope of things its minor in comparison to the issue with the Hobbit AUJ IMO
If your going to adapt a story you love WHY change it into something else? I truly am curious about that.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Hmm. You obviously have a very different idea of those stairs than I do! Hundreds of feet up stairs so steep that they needed both hands and feet to climb them? Methinks you are adjusting the facts to fit your argument. ;)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Hobbits show extraordinary resilience to the effects of Mordor.

:playful:
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think you mean "Hobbits show extraordinary resilience to the FX of Mordor." :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Excellent point.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

:pancake:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

I like handrails. Handrails are good. :wooper:

Bunny!
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

Alatar wrote:Hmm. You obviously have a very different idea of those stairs than I do! Hundreds of feet up stairs so steep that they needed both hands and feet to climb them? Methinks you are adjusting the facts to fit your argument. ;)
the stairs for the most part though were stationary. They weren't moving only one small piece of them was. Running down steps is perfectly normal and not OTT. Look at houses built in the 19th and early 20th century their stairs have the same pitch to them for the most part... They weren't built to be ergonomically correct. Just functional. And middle earth is based on a time long past so today's standards should not apply.

The small 5 minute sequence of the falling step while not impossible was IMO only a bit OTT. In comparison to AUJ it was nothing at all for me. But the remainder of the steps were perfectly still. the scope of the hall, Yes it was rather large but who's to say that wasn't the way dwarfs made their halls. Obviously from looking at Erebor they do. ;)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I'm referring to Samwise falling down the stairs of Cirith Ungol.

The falling step in Moria was 100% impossible. 100%. Tonnes of moving rock do not reverse direction.
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

Tolkien had a phrase for this: willing suspension of disbelief.

Jackson just tweaks it a little: unlikely suspension of all known laws of physics.
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

Alatar wrote:Lets not make LotR immune from this! We have Aragorn's Cliff Dive and Sam Gamgee's tumble down the stairs of Cirith Ungol to consider for the impractical falls category, not to mention the gravity defying Moria staircase! Then we have the magical teleportation of Denethor Flambe from Rath Dinen to the prow of Minas Tirith, and Elronds ability to pop over with a sword to Aragorn in Dunharrow, a feat Radagast seems to share in AUJ. We shan't get into the practicality of arrows in a Mumakil's side as steps and handholds for a full size elf. Then there's the mind bending physics of Orthanc, where Saruman was able to chat with the guys 500 feet below, and despite falling pretty much dead weight, managed to land on a spike at least 50 feet away based on its distance from the Base!

Rock giants more ridiculous than all of those things combined. So it has been declared. :beard:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

sinister71

Post by sinister71 »

yovargas wrote:

Rock giants more ridiculous than all of those things combined. So it has been declared. :beard:
Agreed and to the 10th power