The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... CbPFHu3OOc

Someone had WAY too much fun making this. And obvious cooperation from PJ and company.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

LOL, that's the third place that video has been posted here. (Elen posted it in the Cottage Youtube thread, and then I posted it in the General Hobbit thread.)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:rofl: (Actually it's the 4th posting, but it disappeared again so they must have realized afterwards!)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Search has never worked well for me...:P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:happydance: Just received my presentation AUJ stamp pack from NZ Stamps...

Really nice, and matches perfectly with the LotR packs.

Am adding clickable thumbnails so hopefully you can read the write-ups to go with each stamp...

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Got my Official Movie Guide and Visual Companion in the mail today. Haven't looked at them yet.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Last edited by Impenitent on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Voronwë the Faithful

The one thing that I have seen in the books that I got today that I hadn't seen before is that the Great Goblin is ten feet tall. Not surprising given the scene we saw in the second trailer, but still. Typically ridicuous Peter Jackson overkill.
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

I had lunch at Denny's today (my Dad's favorite) and was horrified by the Hobbit tie-in menus. Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies, Gandalf's Gobble Melt (turkey sandwich), The (onion) Ring Burger.

Here's the link to the menu, Bombur's cookbook, and a few other items.
http://m.dennys.com/en/mobile/hobbit
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'm sure the Professor would find it all rather tasteless, narya! :3face:
~Diana Cortes
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Denny's missed an opportunity when they didn't call it their Second Breakfast menu.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Further to the concept art of Thorin posted in the General Info thread, Tolkiendrim has posted a sneak preview of 75 pages from the forthcoming Weta Art and Design Chronicles:

http://www.tolkiendrim.com/orgie-visuelle/

A visual orgy indeed!

Take a look now before it's removed! Goes without sayin' there's loads of visual spoilers - drawings of The Carrock, Thror, Thrain, Lobelia and Belladona, and further info can be gleaned from some of the visible text...
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I gave up on trying to read the text because it was hurting my eyes and it's, you know, only 3 weeks until the thing is released. But I'm pretty sure I saw Radagast with a raven. Also a possible Dain.

Edit: And there, finally, is a clear view of that image that first showed up in one of the vlogs long ago. It's definitely Radagast with a rabbit, as most concluded. And the mysterious "tail" on the left side was nothing but a squiggle in the dirt.

Edit2: Ok; just what the heck is going on in image #70?
Stranger Wings

Post by Stranger Wings »

Dave_LF wrote:I gave up on trying to read the text because it was hurting my eyes and it's, you know, only 3 weeks until the thing is released. But I'm pretty sure I saw Radagast with a raven. Also a possible Dain.

Edit: And there, finally, is a clear view of that image that first showed up in one of the vlogs long ago. It's definitely Radagast with a rabbit, as most concluded. And the mysterious "tail" on the left side was nothing but a squiggle in the dirt.

Edit2: Ok; just what the heck is going on in image #70?
Great stuff in this. We also see:

1. The final designs of both Thrain and Thror
2. Confirmation that we will be seeing "dwarves of Moria." In the first image of the dwarf, and dwarf armor, it states that the design was originally for the Iron Hill dwarves, but that it was re-appropriated for the "Moria" dwarves. Does that mean Azanulbizar, or might we also be seeing the earlier history of Durin's people being driven out by the Balrog (and goblins)?
3. Concept art of dwarf women! And they've got beards!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If any of you are planning to attend a midnight screening at an IMAX theatre, you may just get your hands on these awesome posters!

IMAX Midnight Posters for THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Those are great. As someone said on TORN, they are reminiscent of the end-credit sketches for ROTK. I wonder if they are by Alan Lee?

No IMAX midnight for me, though.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I reluctantly decided to pass on midnight myself. I'm getting too old for that stuff. :D
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

I'd forgotten about image #70. Since the original link doesn't go to the same gallery anymore, here it is:

http://tinyurl.com/caz62gt

What is it??
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It's a human in very creepy body armor. Look at the arms. The upper jaw of the fishlike carapace is like a hood for the head; the face is shaded.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Dave_LF

Post by Dave_LF »

Ok, I can see that. I wonder if this is early concept art for Yazneg or Fimbul.