The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I have a beautiful Hobbit journal, thanks to a lovely, kind friend (:love:). I have no other film merchandise beyond the DVDs. I think if I could have anything, it would be Sting—the nice, "real" one from LotR, with the writing. Somehow it seems the least geeky of all of it, and it speaks to my hobbity nature.

I missed what I really wanted (and would miss it if it were still available; it cost too much): a big, soft, wooly throw made by the same people who made the hobbit cloaks, out of exactly the same wool, in exactly the same weave. I would've loved that for the rest of my life. :love:

But not for $200. :P

Really when I think about it, what I treasure most is what never cost me anything: Middle-earth as I found it when I read my mother's paperback copies of LotR, the ones with the funky 1960s covers, the ones she read and read and re-read on our living room couch while she was enduring chemo her first time through breast cancer, when I was eight.

I wanted to see what the magic was. I found it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Primula Baggins wrote:I have a beautiful Hobbit journal, thanks to a lovely, kind friend (:love:).
Ditto! And I will treasure it above any other Hobbit merchadise I do pick up because of who gave it to me. :love:

I bought some film merchandise as well as the Collector's edition DVDs last time, but I was very picky and eclectic...I have the "Old Friends" bookends, and the Noble Collection Arwen & Aragorn on the bridge statue. I also have the 3 Barbie doll sets (Galadriel, Legolas, A&A), plus some NZ coins and the TTT & RotK NZ stamps sets. That's about it - oh, and my precious Lórien leaf brooch...I admired the Evenstar necklace but somehow I never felt like owning a copy myself...
Primula Baggins wrote: I think if I could have anything, it would be Sting—the nice, "real" one from LotR, with the writing. Somehow it seems the least geeky of all of it, and it speaks to my hobbity nature.
I very much admired the miniature sword range from Noble - perhaps you could treat yourself to a "Sting" letter-opener, instead, Prim? They are still available on Amazon and other places...

I'm not really sure what I will buy this time around, if anything...the Collector's Edition EEs if they do them, naturally - unless I really hate the films! - but probably most of my purchases will be stuff for my kids, such as the Lego sets, and one of my sons already wants one of the Hobbit duvet sets for his birthday. We'll probably go for this one:

As the Kili one is obvious aimed at teenage girls... :roll:
http://cdn.webshopapp.com/f/z248ge/image.jpg
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elen, If you see any hobbit themed pajamas with the feet attached and trap door in back please post it. Grown up size of course. ;)
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

I can see the appeal of the Kili one!
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote:Elen, If you see any hobbit themed pajamas with the feet attached and trap door in back please post it. Grown up size of course. ;)

Okaaay....I'll, err...keep my eyes peeled on your behalf...

(perhaps you should drop Santa a line? ;) )
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Elentári wrote:
sauronsfinger wrote:Elen, If you see any hobbit themed pajamas with the feet attached and trap door in back please post it. Grown up size of course. ;)

Okaaay....I'll, err...keep my eyes peeled on your behalf...

(perhaps you should drop Santa a line? ;) )
The big problem there is the elves that work for Santa and the elves that are in Middle-earth belong to two different labor unions.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I thought it was commonly believed that the Elves of the North Pole don’t have a Union, though maybe you are referring to the National Union of Fairies, Sprites, Elves and Dropouts (NUFSED) :scratch:

And as for M-e, the last time someone tried to form a Union to stand against a power-hungry, evil tyrant it ended in 'Tears,' I believe…

Nevermind, SF, maybe Radagast can put his sled to good use and delivery you a pair of bunny pjs. :D

Last edited by Elentári on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I don't know; the ME elves spend an awful lot of time just hanging around singing and such. Seems like they've got a pretty good union to me.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

No, no, it's just because their cruel taskmasters force them to sing by the cooking fires to keep them from sneaking a bite. It's a doleful tune, as they sing of baking bannocks they are not allowed to taste. :(

Union elves are not allowed to sing, to avoid injuries to vocal cords.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Somehow I just bought the calendar on Amazon. I don't know what happened. I guess it's a bit over $10 and it's 16 months, so. . . .

Even though there are only 14.6 months left. . . .

The Hobbit throws are now up to $795. Should've bought one at $200. But who knew it would be like buying Apple stock? Until recently, I mean.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Good for you, Pim! Was that the "Official" AUJ one, or JohnHowe/Alan Lee's Hobbit calendar?

I have to confess that I've treated myself to the AUJ Presentation pack of NZ stamps...

http://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/thehobbit/presentation-pack

...since I missed out on the FotR pack last time around to go with my TTT and RotK packs. I did manage to get the individual FotR sheets (like these AUJ ones...)

...but the Packs are so much nicer since you get extras like the First Day cover, etc. with all the info beautifully presented.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Oh, and anyone who has time to pop into their local Barnes & Noble store today might like to keep an eye out for this little offering from TheOneRing.net:

Contents, courtesy of Sunflower who managed to get hold of a copy yesterday:
Index:

Pg 4--About the Tribute issue
Pgs 6-11: Spotlight on 3 main characters and their actors: Bilbo, Gandalf, Thorin.
Pgs 12-13: "The Rest Of The Company: (each Dwarf, plus an inset: "Sexy Dwarves"
14-17; "New Faces" (new characters/actors of trilogy)
18-19: "Familialr Faces" (returning LOTR alumni)
20-21: "Peter Jackson's Unexpected Journey: (a timeline of sorts of the tumultuous events leading up to this moment.)
22-23: "Second Unit, Second Career" (about Andy Serkis)
24-25: "Real Life Wizard: (About Richard Taylor--excuse me SIR Richard Taylor:)
26-27: "Spy Photos" (all gorgeous of course)
28-29: "Where There's A Quill" (about Daniel Reeve, "Middle-Earth's Chief Calligrapher" -ie map-maker, great article!)
30-31: "The Plot" (great spec, and thanks for reproduction of The Scroll)
32-33: "One App To Rule Them All"
34-35: "Excusive Photos"
36-37: How Real Is Too Real?" (A great look at the 48 fps debate, with inset "How To Watch 'The Hobbit")
38-39: "Clifhangers" (in-depth speculation on how the trilogy story arc will unfold.
40-41 "300 Pages, 3 Movies"( Questions about Peter's ambition and motives for the trilogy. Interesting.)
42-43: "The Book Vs The Movie"
44-45: The Tolkien Esate Vs Peter Jackson: An Epic Battle, Or A Media Fabrication?"
46-47: "An Animated Discussion" (a look at the animated Hobbit versions--interview with a film historian)
48-49: 2 of my faves so far; 'You Might be A Silvan Elf.." and "Dwarven Women" (eg: "When Thranduil sin't looking, you place bets on wh0 can snort Dorwinian wine through both nostrils at once")
50-51: All about "The White Concil"
52-55: "Momentuous Middle-Earth Timeline" (thanks for this!)
56-59: "The Real Middle-Earth" (all things ME and NZ. Can you digitially remove the type so I can put the pic on pg 56-57 up as a poster please?:)
60-66: "Middle-Earth Merch" (ah, all ends of the sectrum--from the Gimli cookie jar to the 2012 Fine Art Liited Edtion Weta peice;;only $7999 ("only costs one semester's tuition!")
68-71: "The Ultimate JRR Tolkien Superfans"
72-75: Spotlight on ME artist Donato Giancola (I'm stunned.)
76-81: "Fantastic Fan Art"
82: "There And Back Again" (tracing the footsteps of the Company in a cided map)
Looks fabulous...I only hope it will be available in stores over here or Amazon UK so I don't have to mail order it from B&N...
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

If it was this calendar that Prim bought, then she has a new picture of Bolg with a crazy weapon on it!

~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I got the "official" one, Elen, and it's reportedly arriving tomorrow. I don't think Bolg is going to be a favorite—I hope he doesn't have an entire month to himself. In a movie, OK, but hanging in my kitchen? Ew.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Here's the calendar that it comes from:

http://www.tolkiendrim.com/bolg-un-peu-plus-en-detail/

It sure looks like the official calendar to me!

Edited to add:

I'm not wild about Bolg's look, either. This what I wrote over at TORN:
It looks to me like the intersection of both Jackson's and del Toro's worst tendencies (worst to my tastes, of course). The weapon is particularly ridiculous, and brings to mind the discussion in the extended edition commentary in which Jackson admits that he kept increasing the size of the Witchking's mace, despite advice from all corners not to.

That having been said, I'll wait until I see how it plays out before making a final judgment.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I did link in my post, V...though I can see it doesn't show up very well.

I totally agree with what you have written, too. Somebody doesn't seem to know when enough is enough. The last thing we need is for The Hobbit to end up being a parody of the original movie trilogy. LotR touched audiences on so many levels with its realism within a fantasy genre, and it would be a crying shame if Jackson simply uses the excuse of The Hobbit not being LotR to justify pandering to the worst of his excesses...
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Hey, just caught those posts, Prim and Elen. ;)

I don't have a lot of LotR merchandise, but I do treasure a few things. I have the Evenstar pendant from Freddy, a Legolas and Gimli horseback action figures, an Arwen bust action figure. (No, it's not an action figure of her bosom. You know what I mean. :suspicious: ) I actually have an Aragorn figure from Burger King that I got before I knew what LotR was all about. It used to say, "You shall be the Fellowship of the Ring" and a flaming brand used to light up. I wish I had collected all of them now. I've gotten some trading cards from Alatar. :) Some lovely handmade Elven earrings from Canamarth, iirc. I have a Minas Tirith model from my mother-in-law.

One of the favorite things I have, though, is a collection of stuff I put together in a binder from the early days of TORC and b77. It's threads I printed off or things like the Very Secret Diaries. It has my Walk to Rivendell stuff in it, pictures of the cast, etc.--really geeky things like that! :rofl: But I think it's cool.

I am happy to have my Hobbit journal, and I will want the movies (EE), too. Beyond that, I don't know. It'll be fun to see who puts out what and if I think it's worth having.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Elentári wrote:I did link in my post, V...though I can see it doesn't show up very well.
I see that now. Not only did I not see the link, I read your post as "if it were the calendar Prim bought" instead of "if it were this calendar Prim bought." If I had caught the "this" I would have probably caught the link. I do wish our link text were a little more distinct. I think it varies from monitor to monitor; I know when Alatar set it he said that it was very clear on his screen. Oh well. I often underline or change the color of links, that are just a single word in a sentence to make sure they stand out, when I think to.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Orders can now be placed for the full range of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey collectibles from The Noble Collection.

A somewhat mixed bag...some nice replica props, sword letter-openers, etc, but some of the jewellery seems a bit...unnecessary? I mean, How many rings does Elrond need apart from Vilya? And will Figwit fans feel a burning desire to buy Lindir's ring? ;)
~Diana Cortes
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

i am not quite sure it's not a joke but apparently Denny's offers a Hobbit menu.

Denny's to Launch a Hobbit Menu Full of Hobbity Food
Denny's is launching a Hobbit-themed menu as a tie-in with Peter Jackson's upcoming movie The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Because nothing says Middle-Earth more than Radagast's Red Velvet Pancake Puppies or Gandalf's Gobble Melt. (Both of those are real dishes on the menu.) According to AdAge, the new menu launches November 6.

Other dishes on the menu include Lonely Mountain Treasure (which is some sort of dippable French toast), Frodo's Pot Roast Skillet, Bilbo's Berry Smoothie, Lone-Lands Campfire Cookie Milkshake, Build Your Own Hobbit Slam and Hobbit Harvest Pies. Those last two seem like normal menu items with the word "hobbit" slapped on them? Oh well. There are 11 hobbit menu items in total, for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Below, an ad for the new Denny's campaign and the Hobbity breakfast menu.

Denny's isn't the first outlet to jump on the Shire sausage gravy train (Shire sausage is also a real dish on the menu). Austin's Alamo Drafthouse throws a Lord of the Rings marathon every year in which they show all three movies back to back and serve all seven of the traditional Hobbit meals.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!