The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins [now with potential spoilers]

Post by Passdagas the Brown »

So based on those Lego photos, Elrond will chop a skeleton's head off, orcs will attack Laketown again (we need another orc attack on Laketown, obviously), and orcs fire surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) at the eagles?
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Passdagas the Brown wrote: and orcs fire surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) at the eagles?
I would pay to see that!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Passdagas the Brown

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Passdagas the Brown wrote: and orcs fire surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) at the eagles?
I would pay to see that!
And you will!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

More info on the various covers for the movie tie-in books from the ever-reliable TheHutt

As it seems, there will be two editions of Brian Sibley's Official Movie Guide:

"The Hobbit" novel with BOFA cover:

Official Movie Guide - Standard Edition:

Official Movie Guide - Signed Limited Edition:

Location Guidebook:

Chronicles V: Art & Design

Visual Companion:

There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought about posting those, but I knew by the time I put it altogether they would be here already.

And so they were!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Took quite a bit of work, too! ;) I had meant to put it in quotes, but forgot in my haste to get it posted before I went out..
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Thank you, Elen!

I'm genuinely tempted to buy The Hobbit again, despite owning four versions already, just to get that cover.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Passdagas the Brown

Re: The Hobbit Movie Tie ins.

Smaug's voice wrote:Is it only me then who wasn't really impressed by the Sibley cover? That dwarf-helm reminded me of Transformers more than anything.

And the Fisher cover, I think Thorin's sword looks very impractical here for a combat. (the base seems to be really broad). But the armor is great!
The helmet, to me, looks like a dwarven version of the helmet found at the Anglo-Saxon Sutton Hoo burial site (attached).

I would guess that it's 100% a John Howe design.
Attachments
Sutton_Hoo_replica_(face).jpg
Sutton_Hoo_replica_(face).jpg (58.61 KiB) Viewed 17844 times
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

On the subject of armour and weapons, I've just discovered that the Royal Armouries in Leeds, UK, have an exhibition of swords from the Jackson movies, so if anyone is thinking of heading over here for a vacation, here's an added incentive!

~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

Great stuff Elen - thanks much for being our official scout. EMPIRE MAGAZINE has a good article which can be accessed through theonering.net
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

sauronsfinger wrote: EMPIRE MAGAZINE has a good article which can be accessed through theonering.net
Thanks, SF, but, uhm, if you're referring to the Sept 2014 issue, I posted scans of the article (as is my wont) in the Bo5A thread back on July 31...but maybe you were otherwise occupied! :)
Elentári wrote:Thanks for your patience, folks....the full text of the article is available here :)
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

As I said in the other thread in which SF posted about this. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Aw....Don't rub it in, Voronwë...;)
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

sorry Elen and V. :oops: I was so eager to scoop both of you that I goofed. I guess when my ship comes in I will be at the airport.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.... John Rogers
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:hug: I was surprised you didn't comment at the time when I posted it, but supposed you must have been out of town/in another dimension! ;)
~Diana Cortes
sauronsfinger

Post by sauronsfinger »

I suspect I was celebrating my 85th birthday. Or was it the 75th? :help:
Voronwë the Faithful

Further information about the Hobbit Location Guidebooks and their different versions, from TheHutt, through Ian Brodie:

1) There will be a standard version (square form) from HarperCollins for UK (same version will be sold in Australia/New Zealand). It has 176 pages and a soft cover. The ISBN is 978-1775540267. Comes in November.

2) There will also be an US version (also square), with a hardcover cover and a different design. The contents is identical to the UK version. The ISBN is 978-0062200914. Comes in November.

3) The third edition is the Pocketbook Edition of the UK version. It will be more suitable for carrying along when traveling. The contents is the same; however, the photographs will be smaller and some will be different. ISBN: 978-1869509712. Comes in December. No preorder links as of yet.

There also will be an eBook version for buying through Apple Store (for iPads), as well as a German translation of the guide (coming out in early 2015).

https://www.facebook.com/IanBrodiePhoto ... 40/?type=1
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

The Location Guide from LOTR is on my bookshelf, and it's a lot of fun whether you've been to NZ or not. I may get the iPad version of this, though, to see how they set it up.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Nice interview with Brian Sibley related to the release of the book.

https://audioboo.fm/boos/1909983-all-th ... ian-sibley
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually related to the release of DoS, but still an excellent interview, well worth listening to (even though it is nine months old).