First Hobbit Trailer (with SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I saw the trailer in 3d too (and enjoyed Tintin, for what that's worth). It is really remarkable how much information that third dimension adds. I'd probably watched the trailer 20 times on my computer, but for a few of those scenes, the difference really was comparable to the change from black and white to color. It was especially noticeable in the wide shot of Rivendell (as mentioned) and the one of everybody resting in the cave.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

I saw the trailer at Tintin too. Didn't notice the 3D so much, but it was nice to see it on the big screen. It went by so fast, but since I had seen it on the Youtube, I didn't have to concentrate so much on what was happening, I could just let it flow.

Only a year to go!
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

So I just watched the trailer and . . I can hardly wait.

A whole year!!!
Dig deeper.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

"Careful, it's bind on pickup"

:rofl:
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists

axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Obviously, though, it's a Bind on Account heirloom. He passed it to Frodo, after all, after he level capped. :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:rofl: love it!

btw, anyone seen the Misty Mountain remix yet on Youtube?

http://youtu.be/i12hzlp26y8
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The Hobbit Official TRAILER CATS Mash-up!

http://youtu.be/V2k_EiYh4IU

Is it just me, or do the cats actually look more "dwarven" than the real actors???? :3face:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

the G-rated version of THE HOBBIT trailer is now available on Youtube courtesy of Regal Cinemas, featuring two or three shots not seen in the earlier teaser, such as Bilbo hiding, and Gandalf and company running through woodland...

http://youtu.be/XpdYKhv3EK0
~Diana Cortes
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

I'm excited! I wasn't much beyond curious up until the last couple of weeks (self-protectively not allowing my hopes up) but now I can honestly say, I'm excited!
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wow, I had seen most of that before, but now there's more context. I'm excited, too! :D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I'm still excited! :D
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That shot of Bilbo hiding...anyone else spot the spider moving in the foreground? It's a blink and you'll miss it moment, but it made me go back and look at the EW scroll in my sig (the original, on the link, that is!) If you hold the magnifier over the shot of Bilbo holding Sting among the webs, I'm sure there is the back end of a pale greyish spider sticking up from some debris between Bilbo and the left-hand tree!

ETA: for those who can't freeze the video, here are screencaps of the new scenes, courtesy of DarkJackal who posts on TORn and has his own website. You can clearly see the spider's body in these caps.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Thanks, Elen! Exciting!

Pssst, DarkJackal is a woman.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
SirDennis

Post by SirDennis »

psst how do you know?

I have to say that after seeing the smokeless trailer (aka revised or 2nd trailer) it finally hit me that this is not The Hobbit. It's not because there are additional story lines and locations, that kind of stuff is easy enough to separate out from the original story. Instead it was the dialogue between Gandalf and Bilbo and Gandalf and Thorin at Bag End... the beginning of The Hobbit is charming and light-hearted... what we see in the trailer is something else entirely.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Thanks, Elen! Exciting!

Pssst, DarkJackal is a woman.

Really???? Ah, I should have checked her profile! :oops:
~Diana Cortes
Impenitent
Throw me a rope.

Post by Impenitent »

Quite so, SirD. That snippet of dialogue between Thorin and Gandalf is from a darker and deeper story.

But I don't actually mind that! That lighthearted children's story was it and bit when I first read it, but I don't know that it would have captured me at all had I read it first as an adult. If the backbone of the story remains, with additional flesh, and editorial chiaroscuro, and a darker tone is overlaid so that it comes into its own as a deeper tale - in the way that Tolkien himself overlays it in the prelude to the LoTR - then I will not complain.
Mornings wouldn't suck so badly if they came later in the day.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I know because she said so.
the beginning of The Hobbit is charming and light-hearted... what we see in the trailer is something else entirely.
But from the descriptions of the extended material shown at Comic-con, it sounds the beginning will still be pretty lighthearted. Still, overall I agree that we are going to get something different than a straight adaptation of The Hobbit. I am resigned to that, and even okay with it, and I think the decision to make it three films has the potential to make what they are doing better.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

SirDennis wrote:psst how do you know?

I have to say that after seeing the smokeless trailer (aka revised or 2nd trailer) it finally hit me that this is not The Hobbit. It's not because there are additional story lines and locations, that kind of stuff is easy enough to separate out from the original story. Instead it was the dialogue between Gandalf and Bilbo and Gandalf and Thorin at Bag End... the beginning of The Hobbit is charming and light-hearted... what we see in the trailer is something else entirely.
The plate rolling looked pretty charming and light-hearted to me.
yovargas
I miss Prim ...

Post by yovargas »

The Shire in LOTR has lots of "charming and light-hearted" while still mixing in bits of "eery and foreboding". Nothing wrong with that.
I wanna love somebody but I don't know how
I wanna throw my body in the river and drown
-The Decemberists