First Hobbit Trailer (with SPOILERS)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Alatar
of Vinyamar

First Hobbit Trailer (with SPOILERS)

Post by Alatar »

[Note: I split this from the general Hobbit film thread - VtF]
HOBBIT Teaser TRAILER Shown at BNAT13 Film Fest!

December 11th, 2011 by Quickbeam 0 Comments and 5 Reactions

While our intrepid reporter MrCere is currently in New Zealand — back in the States a very big surprise was revealed to audiences at the Butt-Numb-A-Thon geek film festival (held in Texas by AICN founder Harry Knowles). That’s right, THE HOBBIT teaser trailer was unspooled less than 24 hours ago and quickly the Twitterverse began sparkling with reactions. Comments included such tweets as: “Is it a spoiler to tweet that Gandalf magically sent @EricVespe to us with THE HOBBIT trailer and @woodelijah was the trailer bearer? :) ” Ringer fans were waiting (im)patiently for the footage to arrive in U.S. theaters this Christmas, but lo and behold! Elijah Wood was there to help present as Mr. Vespe (“Quint”) brought the most anticipated footage in all geekdom back to Austin. Mr. Wood himself tweeted today: “Didn’t that trailer kill? So excited to see it…”

More than the opening few minutes of DARK KNIGHT RISES, and much more than any AVENGERS tidbit, this teaser trailer is pretty much the Holy Grail for HOBBIT fans who have waited a decade to see a first glimpse of Peter Jackson’s return to Middle-earth. We will post more info and share reactions as they come in. But the wait is finally over (for those who were there)!

UPDATE: Nordling, AICN staff, writes:

Yes, we saw THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY trailer thanks to Gandalf The Grey magically transporting Quint from the beautiful landscapes of Middle-Earth to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas. No, I can’t talk about any specifics except to say that something I always treasured from the original book is in the trailer in a big way and I was very happy to hear it. The trailer will play in front of THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN and it’s simply sublime. It’s more character-based than epic, but it’s like slipping into a warm embrace from a very old friend that you haven’t seen in many years. Truly wonderful.
http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/12 ... film-fest/
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

From that it sounds to me like they might be using the "In a hole in the ground..." line - Yay! :)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I have a feeling it will be "Far over the Misty Mountains Cold" that he's referring to. Hopefully we won't have long to wait!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I think that is too much to hope for. But we'll definitely know in the next week to ten days, or less.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

The latest description of the teaser has me pretty excited:
The thirteenth edition of Butt-Numb-A-Thon at the Alamo Drafthouse South Lamar in Austin, Texas began with an explosion. Literally. Ain’t It Cool News writer Eric Vespe (you know him as Quint) was not supposed to attend this year as he’s embedded on the set of Peter Jackson’s The Hobbit. So the event began with a video he made, with Jackson and several other members of the cast and crew, expressing his regretful absence. The video surprising ended with Gandalf “magically” making him appear in Austin amiss three red flares on stage. But Quint didn’t come all the way from New Zealand just to see 24 hours of movies, he brought a gift: the world premiere of the teaser trailer to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. After this was revealed, Quint said he had the trailer but needed a “trailer bearer” to bring it to the projection booth. “I’LL TAKE IT!” screamed one very eager audience member, who just happened to be Elijah Wood, Frodo Baggins himself. Everyone had a good laugh and the trailer was cued up…only to encounter technical difficulties. We’d have to wait but Butt-Numb-A-Thon Thirteen Wolf had already started off with a bang.

At this point, almost halfway into the event, The Hobbit trailer finally worked. We were asked not to describe it but suffice to say, we watched it three times in a row and cheered, gasped and laughed each time. It’ll be out next week with Tintin and is phenomenal. Speaking of which….

Thoughts from editor Peter Sciretta: “Seeing the characters from the Lord of the Rings trilogy in 48 frames per second 3D is a completely new experience. The teaser doesn’t cop out as you will get to see a lot of footage. It looks epic and I can’t wait to see more.”
BNAT 13 Recap: The Hobbit, The Grey, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance And More
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

I want to see this. But I don't have time to go see Tintin, not next week or the week after.

Will settle for recaps when that is allowed, I guess.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Since we've already had Tintin over here (which is a great family film, btw,) I suppose I'll have to wait and catch it on-line?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

It does look like fun. But we're hosting Christmas, and the house is filling up fast. This is all good, but I don't get out of the house much (except for grocery shopping) between now and New Year's.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Aha! If this is straght up then there is a chance of "Far over the Misty Mountains cold..."

http://tolkienbritta.blogspot.com/2011/ ... ailer.html
While Vespe could not physically attend the film festival, he did send along a video of messages from the set of The Hobbit. Jordan Hoffman of IFC News wrote that, “Sir Ian McKellan appeared in costume as Gandalf the Grey and, through the magic of cinema (and some pyrotechnics in the theater) Vespe appeared in the flesh,” and that, “As a gag, he handed the hard drive containing the trailer to frequent BNAT attendee Elijah Wood to bring to the projection room, adding, "keep it secret, keep it safe."”

Hoffman also added that, “Hearing the music and seeing The Shire I was surprised at the flood of emotions that hit me. It was like seeing old friends. (And something to look out for: a band of Dwarves sing. It's a thing of beauty.)”

TheOneRing.net described the trailer as, “pretty much the Holy Grail for HOBBIT fans who have waited a decade to see a first glimpse of Peter Jackson’s return to Middle-earth.”
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

The trailer has been "classified" by the Government of Alberta as PG. It is listed as being two minutes and 24 seconds long (which is quite long for a first teaser a year before release). This means that it should be available in the next couple of days!

http://albertafilmratings.ca/recentclasstrailers.aspx
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

More details!
Max Jaybo writes: The Hobbit trailer has been rated for General Audiences by the Ontario Film Review Board as of the 14th. Here is the listing details:

HOBBIT (THE)
Date Classified: Dec 14, 2011
Film Number: 2000098669
Distributor / Submitter / Exhibitor: WARNER BROS. ENTERTAINMENT CANADA INC.
Running Time (min): 2
Format: INTERNET
Language: ENGLISH
Classification: GENERAL
Content Advisories:
Detailed Observations: – Suspenseful situations with short scenes or glimpses of scary characters or images usually in comedic, fantasy or historic setting
- Sensitive to scenes and situations related to child’s security
- Tobacco use
- Restrained portrayals of limited violence
Voronwë the Faithful

For some reason, I find the inclusion of the warning about "tobacco use" amusing. :)
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

A new study shows an alarming rise in magical pipe-smoking among teens. Tune in at 11 to find out if your child is next.
Voronwë the Faithful

:D
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Well, Longbottom leaf has been known to have interesting effects. Especially when you blow smoke-rings with it.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

SPOILERS!!!
Thanks to Ringer Duff Man for sending in this exclusive summary of what we can expect to see in the upcoming ‘Hobbit’ trailer:

Starts with Bilbo (Ian Holm!!) talking to Frodo (Elijah Wood) at Bag End about his “adventures” and how he didn’t tell him everything.

Shows Gandalf making his proposition to young Bilbo and introducing all 13 dwarves by name as it cuts to each.

Bilbo protests of course, because Bagginses belong at Bag End.

The “big” scene is the dwarves, led by Thorin, singing a long slow song. I didn’t catch all the words, but I have to assume it’s from the book. Very ominous tone.

Lots of images in a montage, of travelling and fighting. I think I saw some goblins, and maybe some troll legs, but it went by quickly. Some creepy ruins–looked almost like Moria, but without the majesty. I wasn’t sure if it was underground in the goblin stronghold or something else. Dol Guldur?

There is definitely Rivendell and the shards of Narsil and maybe Elrond, but again, I can’t be sure.

No Smaug at all. No hints at plot, really. No Beorn that I could see. Not even any spiders, although I think I saw some creepy woods. One of my favorite scenes was the dwarves cleaning Bilbo’s dishes after dinner. Expect some acrobatic dishes :)

Thorin is depicted as a bit callous–he tells Gandalf he can’t guarantee his safe return. Gandalf agrees, and Thorin adds “Nor will I be responsible for his fate.”

It ends with Gandalf saying to Bilbo that if he returns, he may be changed–this is in voiceover while we see THE RING, and Gollum climbing behind Bilbo in the cave.

Can’t wait to see it again!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Wow - just wow!!! I always thought that the Dwarves' song would make the idea trailer, and am so glad PJ appears to have gone with that...really sets up the films perfectly. :)

Can't believe we are going to get so much more as well, though! I notice plenty of nods for the LotR-only audience, to draw them back to M-e... It seems like they are giving a lot away in this teaser, but I guess that's lookng at it from the perspective of being familiar with the story... .
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

'The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey' Trailer Arriving Next Tuesday!

Axxording to USA Today, a 15-minute satellite feed of the trailer for The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey will stream at 10 p.m. ET/PT on the night of Dec. 20 and again the following day at 9 a.m. ET/PT.
While its been reported before that the very first official trailer for Peter Jackson's The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, due out in December 2012, would be debuting in front of Adventures of Tintin starting next week, word is that it might be online the day before. USA Today is reporting that Warner Bros has set satellite premiere times, meaning they're ready to deliver this thing, for next Tuesday, December 20th. That likely means it'll be online that day, if not by Monday evening...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't really understand what the 15 minute feeds are all about. :scratch:

I assume that it will be available to watch from the internet at that point, yes? No? Maybe?
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Probably a lot of talking head and on-the-set clips leading to the actual teaser.