Hobbit film sets and such

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

The structures in the upper left hand corner are curious.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

They look like birdhouses. Other than being on the ground.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Birdhouses would likely suggest Radagast. Bee hives suggest Beorn. I'm thinking the latter
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

'Doh! Of course, beehives.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

My first thought was beehives.
CosmicBob

Post by CosmicBob »

The do look like beehives, more so than birdhouses. Which is quite indicative of Beorn.

But it's still not like I picture Beorn's house.
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

I thought "beehives" even before I read all of you wiser people's guesses!
:)
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

All wise but me. :D

But then, I don't care for bees and think about them as little as possible. . . . :help:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Gee does anyone envision PJ having thumb sized drones fly out of the screen towards the audience in all their 3D glory?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Hate to mention it, but, as I posted a few days ago:
Elentári wrote: Re: video-blog #4, Barrel-Rider over on TORN asks:
Did anyone else notice that Alan Lee was working on a sketch of Beorn's hall at 08.34
It looks as if they going keep to Tolkien's original concept. So the the set being built at the moment may belong to Radagast. If they start building around a tree it is a guarantee. I have a little insider knowledge here.
...if this insider is kosher, I think we can safely say that this is Radagast's house!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Clearly s/he has inside knowledge to have anticipated that. And it looks pretty Radagasty now. Is that even the same building as before?
Voronwë the Faithful

I was wondering that, too. Dave. It looks awfully different, doesn't it?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I suppose they could be building Radagast buildings and Beorn buildings at the same site even if they're meant to be different locations in the film.
Voronwë the Faithful

That would certainly makes sense.

It will be interesting to look back at this time after we get to see the films and see whether we can figure out what was what.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I don't think its the same building... those curved recesses on the earlier house, likely Beorn's, were pretty distinctive.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

It seems to me you could put two sets on opposite sides of the same clearing, film one against one background and one in the opposite direction, against a very different background . . . and never tip that they're in the same place. Especially with lighting, color grading, etc., available to make the "feel" of the two sets different.

But I know nothing. :scratch:
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

I think if it was beehives, they would be the old-fashioned kind, the ones shaped like, you know, beehives? Like on the honey jars?
Dig deeper.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Good catch, vison.

Dovecotes?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

The small holes would indicate nesting boxes of some sort, perhaps...what about the two beams sticking out of the cottage on the right hand side? Do they have a recognized structural use or are they again an indication of being a functional part of a bird lover's home?

An aside regarding the scale of the building - it may not be on this scale because of its potential inhabitant, but simply to make the Thorin & Co actors look small against it...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Which would argue against Rhosgobel, because there is absolutely no reason why Thorin and company should be there.