Hobbit film sets and such

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
vison
Best friends forever

Post by vison »

They don't have to be there, but maybe "we" are going there, to meet Radagast?
Dig deeper.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

But there would be no need for the building to be extra big for scale for our sake!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

Wait...could they be building TWO? A big one for the dwarf shots and a small one for the Beorn shorts?

*head asplodes*
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:Which would argue against Rhosgobel, because there is absolutely no reason why Thorin and company should be there.
Unless it's on Beorn's property. =:) Or Drogo and Primula are involved in the Dol Guldur plot. :devil:
Voronwë the Faithful

You are NOT going to get a reaction out of me.

Oh wait.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:D
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

perhaps we're all barking up the wrong tree... ;)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

:doggy:
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

Whatever the end result, those latest two photos do not depict the same structure.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I think you are right on that, Holby...I would tentatively say that the surrounding landscape is different than in the first set of photos. This site seems to be nestled into a hollow whereas ther other was on level ground amongst the trees. So feasibly there must be more that one set being constructed in Paradise - the recent stuff.co.nz article talks about two locations near Glenorchy (Arcadia Station and Paradise)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I think this pretty much confirms that it is Beorn's house after all:

Sir Peter's great southern inspiration
Sir Peter spoke in between scenes where Sir Ian McKellan as Gandalf the Grey, Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins and dwarves arrive at the house of Beorn (Mikael Persbrandt).

Tuesday was their third and final day of shooting on a giant set, which took eight weeks to build and was based on more than eight months of design - all for one scene of about three minutes of screen time.
This statement seems somewhat contradictory, but is pretty exactly what I expected:
Asked if he felt the weight of expectation on his shoulders, Sir Peter said: "All I can do is make the best movie I can and hope people enjoy it. It's going to have a different tone to The Lord of the Rings because the characters are quite a lot different.

"The book was very much written for a much younger reader than Lord of the Rings was, but I didn't want to make a children's movie, I still wanted to have some of the main themes we had in the Rings."
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I think we were seeing pictures of two different sets built at the same location. One of them (the big L-shaped building) could certainly have been part of Beorn's house, but I think the turf-roofed cottage built around a tree was something else.

ETA: By "L-shaped building" I mean this one, which has a porch that looks like it could be the one PJ is sitting on the in the article photo. The other building is this one.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Well, this latest article seems to confirm that there are several sets close together...

Tree's demise Hobbit-sized crisis
On the command "And action", everyone was silent as Gandalf walked slowly, staff in hand, down green-screen covered steps and the runway-like platform to stand beside a green-screen pole and ball and talk to Beorn (Mikael Persbrandt).

Monitors watched by crew members revealed how Gandalf and Beorn appeared to be standing on one of the adjacent physical sets, which featured an oversized workshop and barn, tools and a vegetable garden between real and fake trees.

Other two-storey-high sets included a scrub-covered gate and bee hives on shelves in an open-sided building with tussock on the roof.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

That all sounds like Beorn's house and related buildings to me.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here is a list of set locations that I was able to pull off the quickly flashing by map in the last production video:

Hobbiton - Matamata
Bywater Countryside - Waihou Redwoods/Putaruru
Trollshows Forest - Denize Bluffs/Mangaotaki Valley
Long Valley Lonely Mountain - ?
Outskirts of Hobbiton - ?
?hills ? the Shire ?lands - ? Golden Bay
Shores of Laketown - Lake Putaki
Forest River - ?
Lonelands - Speargrass Flats/Wanal?
Wildlands - Glonorchy Scheelite/Queenstown
?st Farthing Countryside/Weatherhills - ?
Dale Hills - Rock and Pillar Range/Middle?
Epic Landscape - Hartfield/Strath Taeiri
Beorns - ?
Epic Landscape Forest Slopes Misty Mnts - ?
Misty Mountain ? - Remarkables/Queenstown
Outskirts of Bree - Paradise Trust/Paradise
Anduin Valley - ?ss Burn/Queenstown
Wildlands - ?

At least four others that have lines but the labels aren't visable.

Can anyone else fill in anything else? Anyone care to speculate about what any of t means?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Anduin Valley - Moss Burn/Queenstown
Epic landscapes - Hartfield / Strath Taieri
Lonelands - Speargrass Flata/Wanaka
Outskirts of Hobbiton – ? / Ohakune
West Farthing countryside/Weather Hills - Takaka Hill
Dale Hills – Rock & Pillar Range / Middlemarch
Beorn's place - Arcadia Station/Paradise

And the Pelorus River is the location for the River Running (Barrels out of Bond)

Minor corrections for spelling
Shores of Laketown – Lake Pukaki
Wildlands – Glenorchy Scheelite / Queenstown
~Diana Cortes
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

If I had infinite leisure I'd Google Image search every one of those places and post at least links here.

However, I have no doubt that TORn is on this one already. And I have to go fax 24 pages to somebody back East who probably wants to go home once she has it.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I have a book with the locations of the LOTR films described, and what they were used for. Somewhere. :D
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

I am in the opposite camp when it comes to locations.
To wit: I never wanted to know the planet Hoth was filmed on an iceberg. I was hoping I could stay within the film so much so, that I was actually envisioning Hoth.

Same here. I am hoping I can visit Hobbiton. Knowing the actual film location before the fact actually takes away from the experience. After the fact, is a bit different.

Yes I know there were other films, and I know of the locations, but I do want to attempt to pretend until I actually see the footage and rage at PJ et al for trouncing holy writ. :P
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

~Diana Cortes