What did PJ do Perfectly?

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

You can certainly compare them if you're willing to admit you're being entirely subjective. I don't think any two people can experience either LotR the book or PJ's films in exactly the same way. In fact they are both so "big" that I know my own response is not the same throughout; it can't be. Not every part of LotR rivets me and moves me as Frodo's slow crawl up Mount Doom does (nor should it!). And watching PJ's films I experience everything from cringing embarrassment at tasteless "humor" to, still, after umpteen viewings, being moved to tears by certain scenes.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

I agree, but this is the typical defense of the movies apologists: you know, it's the movie, it's different from the books, so the director can do whatever he wants whether it makes sense or no.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I think it's true that some changes were necessary because of the two different media. Not all of them, though. The focus should be on telling the same story, just with different tools.

I don't, for example, think I've heard anyone argue that the Council of Elrond should have been presented exactly as in the book, with people simply talking for what would have been an hour of film, rather than through the use of flashbacks and other film shorthand. Flashbacks would have been an annoying distraction in the book, but I think they're darn near essential in the film.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Primula Baggins wrote:I think it's true that some changes were necessary because of the two different media. Not all of them, though. The focus should be on telling the same story, just with different tools.

I don't, for example, think I've heard anyone argue that the Council of Elrond should have been presented exactly as in the book, with people simply talking for what would have been an hour of film, rather than through the use of flashbacks and other film shorthand. Flashbacks would have been an annoying distraction in the book, but I think they're darn near essential in the film.
I think they did a good job of incorporating exposition in FOTR, starting with the prologue. However, I do wish the Council member behaved in a more dignified manner and had said words closer to the books.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I have to agree.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Going back to the original question, I totally dig the Shire scenes. The arrival of Gandalf is not strictly to the letter but it certainly captures the spirit of the texts. So, they can do it when they want to. Why it almost never happens in the other two movies, I have no idea.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Siberian wrote: Besides, what does he mean? That we enjoy the story, character and the world in spite of the writing? I hate this modern tendency to separate style from content.
I'm rereading Stephen Donaldson's "Chronicles of Thomas Covenant The Unbeliever" again for the first time in about 20 years, and my adult self really wishes I could separate the story from his style of writing. Just sayin'.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels. There's a great story in there. I wish somebody else could have told it.
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

I don't know, I can't read the book if the writing style annoys me :)
Siberian

Post by Siberian »

Primula Baggins wrote:I feel the same way about the Star Wars prequels. There's a great story in there. I wish somebody else could have told it.
I think some lines might have been written by George.

"Nobody tosses a dwarf" :rage:
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Primula Baggins wrote:I think it's true that some changes were necessary because of the two different media. Not all of them, though. The focus should be on telling the same story, just with different tools.
Exactly, Prim! One of my favorite scenes in FOTR EE is the sword training that Boromir gives to the two hobbits. It is entirely invented, yet it illuminates the character, gives him dimension. It sets up the viewers to feel all the more dismay for Boromir's fall at the end of the movie, both moral and literal, and it certainly explains while Merry and Pippin were compelled to charge the Uruk-hai by their grief at Boromir's loss. Just one little scene.

I even like the warg attack, which does change the story, but in a way that makes it much more vivid to see what Rohan was up against. (It also illustrates that the other changes to the movie make no sense - Théoden made the only reasonable choice when he took his people to the fastness of Helm's Deep, but oh well.)

There's no excuse for "Go home, Sam" :rage:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

I would rephrase that. There is an excuse for it. It's just a very, very bad excuse. 8)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."