The Music of the Hobbit (Now with possible Spoilers)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

HMV are offering the soundtrack at £9.00, release date quoted as December 3rd:

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDet ... sku=964737

This is presumably the standard single disc edition...
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yeah, I found that one. I thought you were looking for the Special Edition.

However, in a weird case of art imitating life...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hobbit-Part-Sli ... sbs_m_h__7

The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I don't believe there is a single disk edition Elen. I imagine thats just a placeholder.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Alatar wrote:Yeah, I found that one. I thought you were looking for the Special Edition.
Yeah, I am...(the Deluxe 'leatherette' special edition!) Amazon have the 2-disc special edition but it has the photo cover...
Alatar wrote:I don't believe there is a single disk edition Elen. I imagine thats just a placeholder.
<Is confused> :scratch:
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

From what I can tell, the standard edition has two discs also. The Special Edition is in Deluxe Leatherette style and has some extra songs and longer edits of others. Bolding mine:
he Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey Original Motion Picture Soundtrack on WaterTower Music in the United States and Decca Records outside the United States. It will be available on December 11, 2012. The track listings for the 2-CD Standard and 2-CD Deluxe versions are as follows
Maybe there's another single CD release, but I haven't heard or seen anything about one.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Okay...so, then, why are HMV advertising their item at £9.00 as opposed to Amazon's £15.42 for the 2 disc?

ETA: Yes!!! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZWHJLC

All signed up for the Deluxe edition! :D
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

No idea Elen. Just saying I haven't seen any press release for a 1 disc version.

Signed up for the deluxe also!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

That Deluxe version is now available to pre-order! :)

Use the same link as before:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009ZWHJLC
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Wishlisted!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

First track from Howard Shore's new AUJ soundtrack available - listen to "Radagast the Brown" here!

It's different...heavy on the menacing strings, particularly violin, choir and percussion, and obviously a descriptive, atmospheric sequence - yet still has the unmistakeable HS thumbprint!
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Sounds great! Thanks Elen!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Interestingly, it looks like the Special Edition is the "Complete Recording" version, unless we get a dramatically enlarged EE of the movies that requires another CR

From Doug Adams page:

Does the Special Edition contains the full movie score ? Or a "Complete Recordings" set will also be released ? Anyway, I ordered the Special Edition... (It's rare to have 2 CDs on a a regular soundtrack release.)

Doug Adams Mod Martin Paternoster • 3 days ago

The write-up at Amazon states:

"The Special Edition of the Original Motion Picture Soundtrack to The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey contains the full score from the film with seven extended score cues, six exclusive bonus tracks, and deluxe liner notes packaged in a 2 CD hardcover digibook. The Soundtrack features original score by Academy Award winner Howard Shore recorded at famed Abbey Road Studios by the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Additionally it includes an original song, Song of the Lonely Mountain, written and performed by Neil Finn (Crowded House).

One of today's most respected, honored, and active composers and music conductors, Howard Shore previously worked with director Peter Jackson on The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy, which stands as his most towering achievement to date. He won three Academy Awards for his music for those films."

I'll let you make of that what you will. :)
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, I saw that, too...would be fantastic if it's true, but hard to believe they will miss a chance to make punters cough up extra for the "really complete" recordings later on!
~Diana Cortes
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Listen to that complicated rhythm section! Wood blocks? and what else? (Some kind of brush on snares?)

Cool!
8)
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Like it a lot.

Anyone know what the lyrics are?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I imagine Magpie will have an in-depth analysis by tomorrow!
Voronwë the Faithful

I don't know, she claims not to be doing any more analysis. We'll see.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I don't know who Magpie is (or where she is), but let me know. :)
Voronwë the Faithful

Lali, Magpie is a poster at TORN who did incredible analysis of the LOTR soundtracks. Her website is at: http://www.amagpiesnest.com/ It is well worth a look for anyone interested in Howard Shore's LOTR scores.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Thanks! :) I'll check it out.