The Music of the Hobbit (Now with possible Spoilers)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

I am now willing to bet money on them ending with a sweeping shot of Mirkwood after the Eagles drop them off. :D
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Cool. I hope the Special Edition is Leatherette and not just printed. Hard to tell from that pic!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Dave_LF wrote:I note a distinct lack of anything relating to dwarf-history, with the possible exception of two of the bonus tracks. I hope this at least means the film doesn't start that way. Let Thorin tell his story where he's supposed to, and let it be news to both Bilbo and the audience when he does.
I think the dwarf history is likely to largely go in the second film. However, I would caution against reading too much into the fact that the first trace is "My Dear Frodo." There may still be a prologue that comes before that.

(Do people think that having the track list behind spoiler tags is more helpful or more of a hindrance?)
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I think anyone coming into this thread can't really expect to avoid track names ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Yeah, I think I'll remove it.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

8) Thanks for listing that, Voronwë!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

:woohoo: So looking forward to this!

So "Song of the Lonely Mountain" is Neil Finn's song for the Credits?

I don't notice anything that jumps out as The Great Goblin's supposed song, though... any guesses?
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

If it exists and it's enough of a song to make the soundtrack, it would have to be in Under Hill, I think. And in that case, they'd probably have credited the singer there the way they did in the other cases (including Billy Boyd on the RotK soundtrack).
Voronwë the Faithful

Elentári wrote:I don't notice anything that jumps out as The Great Goblin's supposed song, though... any guesses?
Some person at TORN named "Eleniel" speculated that it could be "the Defiler". I'm sure you don't agree with that, though.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Dave makes a good point. If its in, then Humphries should be credited, or at least "The Goblin Cast" like they did with "The Dwarf Cast"
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:
Elentári wrote:I don't notice anything that jumps out as The Great Goblin's supposed song, though... any guesses?
Some person at TORN named "Eleniel" speculated that it could be "the Defiler". I'm sure you don't agree with that, though.
That was kinda meant as a joke, V! As others have pointed out, Azog was described as "The Defiler" in the original German descriptions that were leaked. Perhaps that has now become Yazneg...who knows!
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I was just jerking your chain a little bit. :hug:
Voronwë the Faithful

Doug Adams confirms that he did the liner notes for both editions

http://www.musicoflotr.com/2012/11/the- ... urney.html
Alatar wrote:Cool. I hope the Special Edition is Leatherette and not just printed. Hard to tell from that pic!
Someone who coincidentally looks just like you and somehow has the exact same username as you (;)) asked this question at Doug's site, but he said he didn't know.
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Voronwë is stalking everybody on the interwebs! ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Bwahahaha! =:)
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

I would just like to say: :happydance:

Very glad to see that second disc is more music(!), and not some sort of filler. (screensavers, techno re-mixes, disco re-mixes...whatever it is that's cool these days) It's not unprecedented, but is quite rare (WB/Decca/WaterTower Music did something similar for both Harry Potter 7:1 and the Dark Knight, but in both those cases it was only a much more expensive special edition that had two discs; whereas with TH:AUJ both versions have two discs, and the Special Edition is quite reasonably priced), and quite telling, I think, about the kind of audience Shore's music has; the music for the Trilogy is loved, and by a lot of people, and it is getting special treatment as a result.

Doug Adams has been actively answering questions in this thread at JWFan.com. Some of it has been along the lines of him saying that he's not really able to comment yet, but this is worth reposting:
Doug Adams wrote:
Doug, any idea why only 2 of the 6 "Special Edition-only" tracks were inserted into the flow of the main score, with 4 appearing at the end after the main presentation? Did Shore prefer it that way for a specific reason? Or was it a Water Tower Records decision?
It's presented this way for a specific musical reason. It will all make perfectly logical sense.
Voronwë the Faithful

ttbk, great to see you (I figured if anything would bring you out of the woodwork this would). That is very interesting. I wonder what he means?
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

I'll definitely be going for the leatherette special edition since that's what I have with the LotR recordings, and it sounds great value.

Al, do you know if we can pre-order anywhere in the UK yet? Couldn't see anything on Amazon UK when I checked earlier.
~Diana Cortes
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Not that I've found yet Elen!
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Aha! Seek and ye shall find.....

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey OST 2 CD edition

(Ask and ye shall receive for Christmas?!?!? :D )

Hope Amazon UK get the Delux Special Edition too...
~Diana Cortes