The Music of the Hobbit (Now with possible Spoilers)

For discussion of the upcoming films based on The Hobbit and related material, as well as previous films based on Tolkien's work
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Thanks, Lali :)

Neat suggestions about the Road Goes Ever On, River 8)
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

River wrote:Or, alternatively, they could finish with the song the elves sing when Bilbo comes back to Rivendell on the return journey ("Tra-la-lally, welcome back to our valley" or some such; if it turns out even approximately as annoying as the way I've heard it in my head, it will be awesome =:) ).
:help:
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
River
bioalchemist

Post by River »

The first time I read The Hobbit I was on a backpacking trip on Rainier. I got that tra-la-lally thing stuck in my head on some steep descent into one of about a zillion valleys on the flanks of Rainier.

The only thing worse than having an annoying song stuck in your head is when you've made up the tune. And, even in your head, it's being sung off-key. :bawl:
When you can do nothing what can you do?
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Thanks Lali!
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

From Doug Adams' "Music of the Lord of the Rings" website:
“Howard had his first extensive Hobbit conference with PJ last night. Incredibly exciting to see that ball beginning to roll . . .”
http://www.musicoflotr.com/...ml#comment-172751093
There is magic in long-distance friendships. They let you relate to other human beings in a way that goes beyond being physically together and is often more profound.
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Small tidbits of info on Howard Shore's Hobbit score are to be found in the latest issue of Ottawa Citizen The article covers The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring concert being held there...

He [Shore] is not giving away much about his approach to the score for The Hobbit except to say, “If you like the scores to the other films, you’ll like the way I’m approaching The Hobbit.”

He is into the crunch right now on The Hobbit with recording set to begin in August. That pressure prevents him from being in Ottawa for the performance.

Asked whether some of the music for The Hobbit will hint at the Lord of the Rings, he’s coy.

“I have crafty little ways of dropping bits here and there. There are characters that are in both, Bilbo, Gandalf, Galadriel and Elrond. It’s so connected to The Lord of the Rings.”
~Diana Cortes
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Doug Adams, author of the book “The Music of the Lord of the Rings Films“, announced early this morning via his blog that today, August 20, 2012, marks the beginning of the recording sessions for The Hobbit in London. He also announces that he has signed on to write another companion book which will be entitled “The Music of The Hobbit Films”.
This post is going online on Monday, August 20, 2012. Why? Because today marks the official start of The Hobbit recording sessions in London. Today the musical world of Middle-earth begins expanding once again. Today, you can no longer say that you know every note of Shore's music for Tolkien's world. In fact, you only know about half of it. (This is a ballpark figure; I have no idea how long the three Hobbit films will be!) Today the subject of The Music of the Hobbit Films exists not just in concept, but in reality. Today a new journey begins ...

I'm going to keep working intently on book number two for the time being, but I expect to be fully drawn into Middle-earth during the course of the next month. In fact, I expect to embark upon a rather less-metaphorical journey in just another few weeks. I'll keep you posted. From there, it's back to the constantly moving world of plane tickets, review deadlines, and stacks and stacks of score pages. I believe the book I'm currently writing will hit shelves before the book on the Hobbit scores does. However, I tend to think that you'll see some form of my Hobbit work before either book.
~Diana Cortes
TheTennisBallKid
Location: The East of East, Fighting Wild Were-worms in The Last Desert

Post by TheTennisBallKid »

:hooray:
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Yes, it's great news! The Misty Mountains song we heard on the trailer is wonderful, I can't wait to hear more from Howard!!!

and Doug's LotR music tome, including the Rarities CD, is a beautiful book, a wonderful companion to understanding the complexities of the score - and interesting even to the non-musical...
~Diana Cortes
ArathornJax
Aldrig nogen sinde Kvitte

Post by ArathornJax »

The one major take away from the LOTR movies for me was the soundtracks. It is the one item that I will purchase from the franchise that is "The Hobbit." I look forward to the individual CD's and hopefully a Complete Recording. I enjoy Howard Shore's adaptation of Middle Earth via his music.
1. " . . . (we are ) too engrossed in thinking of everything as a preparation or training or making one fit -- for what? At any minute it is what we are and are doing, not what we plan to be and do that counts."

J.R.R. Tolkien in his 6 October 1940 letter to his son Michael Tolkien.

2. We have many ways using technology to be in touch, yet the larger question is are we really connected or are we simply more in touch? There is a difference.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Word has come in on TORn that Neil Finn of 'Crowded House' is to provide the end title song for An Unexpected Journey

According to Peter Green, at this website, a song by New Zealand musician Neil Finn will be used during the end credits of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. Finn has recorded extensively, as a solo artist and also with bands such as Split Enz and Pajama Club; he is perhaps best known as lead singer and guitarist with Crowded House.

Here is Finn singing Distant Sun
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Doug Adams, author of The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films and the upcoming The Music of The Hobbit Films, writes on his page in response to the news about Neil Finn:
You ain't heard nothin' yet! ;)
I take that as an encouraging sign!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Magpie, over on TORn has been keeping an eye out for the possible release date of the AUJ soundtrack...

This entry at Amazon lists a December 11 release date for a 2 disc, Deluxe edition of TH/UJ soundtrack.

There has been no denial or confirmation as yet from Doug Adams on his blog, where previous suspected listings have been shot down...
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

I could have sworn I posted about this already here, but apparently not. Thanks for doing so, Elen!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

I am reading with interest, though I don't have anything to contribute.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Pre-Order ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ Soundtrack today!
October 23, 2012 at 1:20 am -

Thanks to Ringer Alan for alerting us of Amazon.com’s pre-order for ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ soundtrack. Two versions will be offered – a standard release and a Special edition. Both will have two discs and release December 11th 2012. No cover art has been revealed, but we assume that will be forthcoming. Jump over to Amazon to snag war is sure to be Howard Shore’s latest triumph!
Special Edition

Standard
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful

Great! Thanks, Al.
Elentári

Post by Elentári »

Good news for you guys...no news on Amazon UK as yet :(

Still, it will be at the top of my Christmas list (or rather, an early present to myself! :D )
~Diana Cortes
Voronwë the Faithful

Soundtrack Artwork And Track List For THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY

Here there be SPOILERS:
THE HOBBIT SPECIAL EDITION TRACKLIST:

DISC 1:
My Dear Frodo
Old Friends (Extended Version)
An Unexpected Party (Extended Version)
Blunt the Knives (performed by The Dwarf Cast)
Axe or Sword?
Misty Mountains (performed by Richard Armitage and The Dwarf Cast)
The Adventure Begins
The World is Ahead
An Ancient Enemy
Radagast the Brown (Extended Version)
The Trollshaws
Roast Mutton (Extended Version)
A Troll-hoard
The Hill of Sorcery
Warg-scouts

DISC 2:
The Hidden Valley
Moon Runes (Extended Version)
The Defiler
The White Council (Extended Version)
Over Hill
A Thunder Battle
Under Hill
Riddles in the Dark
Brass Buttons
Out of the Frying-Pan
A Good Omen
Song of the Lonely Mountain (Extended Version) (performed by Neil Finn)
Dreaming of Bag End

EXCLUSIVE BONUS TRACKS:
A Very Respectable Hobbit
Erebor
The Dwarf Lords
The Edge of the Wild
Cool!
Last edited by Voronwë the Faithful on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I note a distinct lack of anything relating to dwarf-history, with the possible exception of two of the bonus tracks. I hope this at least means the film doesn't start that way. Let Thorin tell his story where he's supposed to, and let it be news to both Bilbo and the audience when he does.