Games, Riddles, Puzzles, and other Distractions

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Games, Riddles, Puzzles, and other Distractions

Post by elengil »

Rather than continue to take over the Geek thread, perhaps a thread specifically for such games as Letter Boxed, Spelling Bee, Sudoku, Crosswords, and more.

I'll christen the thread by being delighted that I found a two-word solution to today's Letter Boxed :shock:
Hidden text.
PROVOCATOR - REALIZED
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Re: Games, Riddles, Puzzles, and other Distractions

Post by Frelga »

I thought it was spelled with a "-teur"!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:I thought it was spelled with a "-teur"!
If the game says it's right, who am I to argue :geek:
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Frelga wrote:I thought it was spelled with a "-teur"!
Ditto!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sigh. 4 words.
Hidden text.
javelin nip plumping gar
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

It's upsetting when the game informs me it's "not a word" when it is a perfectly good word in Spanish, Russian, Lingít or Elvish. Or is too arcane for the game producer but pops readily to my mind. Or is only slightly misspelled. Harumph.

I got an answer in 3 words, a few minutes to midnite.
Hidden text.
Javelin-nearing-grump
, but their answer was
Hidden text.
jumping-gravel
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

That's odd narya, 'cause that's the puzzle I'm still working on/the one that's showing on my screen. :scratch: I had 3 different words. It amazes me how simple and common some of the solution words are when some of my words are really stretching it. :D
My heart is forever in the Shire.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

For the last few days I spent way too much time with no good solutions. Today's took less than 5 minutes. Is my brain really that variable in its functioning? Or did they just give us an easy one?
Today's solution
Hidden text.
flavorings-show
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'm not going to look at your solution as I haven't even had a chance to look at today's puzzle, but there was one day I found the solution very quickly too. It must have something to do with brain wiring and patterns because the one from a few days ago should have been easy, given the simple solutions.. but noooo.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I'm curious when the game switches to the next day for you. Here in Pacific Std Time (TORC Time), Letterboxed and Spelling Bee switch over at my midnight; Crossword Mini changes at 7 or 8 PM.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

Today's Letter Boxed puzzle has C U E at the top and I believe it changes at 3am, but I'm not sure. An internet search says 3AM eastern time, but I'm not sure if that only refers to Spelling Bee, Letter Boxed, and Tiles.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

3 AM EST = 12 AM PST so that works.
RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I live in Central. It SHOULD change at 2 here.
narya
chocolate bearer

Post by narya »

I just checked at just after midnight PST, and it the new game is there. And yesterday's puzzle answer was very similar to mine. I can't speak for the CST people, sorry.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Has anyone ever done the acrostic in the physical NYTimes magazine?
elengil

Post by elengil »

I hadn't heard of that one so I looked it up and apparently you can get it online but it isn't interactive, you have to print it out to do it. But here's a batch of them

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes ... ostic.html
was a 2020 planner.

RoseMorninStar

Post by RoseMorninStar »

I'd not heard of acrostic, I'll have to check that out. First I have to get out my holiday cards (and get my tree up, and make the gingerbread house...)

I believe a new letter boxed puzzle posts here at 2AM. Is the solution for 'Yesterday's Answer' off? It does not appear to be the same as the puzzle I had yesterday.
For example the puzzle I was working on yesterday (starting at the top & going clockwise) was: C U E, T S I, A Y R, L M F but the puzzle shown in the solution is: A G O, W F S, L V I, H R N.
Is the solution from 2 days prior?

Anyway.. the free period will be ending soon and I have a lot to do!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

elengil wrote:I hadn't heard of that one so I looked it up and apparently you can get it online but it isn't interactive, you have to print it out to do it. But here's a batch of them

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes ... ostic.html
I get it in the magazine every weekend, but have never seriously attempted one. And had a Q regarding them... that’s why I asked.
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:]I get it in the magazine every weekend, but have never seriously attempted one. And had a Q regarding them... that’s why I asked.
Sorry, I didn't mean to say 'here are the puzzles' I was more sharing for the group since I hadn't heard of it before and maybe others hadn't either...
Last edited by elengil on Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Gah. Of course. I’m sorry for being Ms Snarky Bitch.