The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Inanna »

No, not Galadriel. As I said, the Elf is not important in LOTR but is important in the “lore” of ME. Not Círdan, either.

Hmm....

There is an act in the legendarium, that
*Only* Gandalf and this Elf have experienced - no one else can lay claim to it.

(Gawd I hope I’m right about that. I think I am).
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

If the "act" you referring to is returning from death, that is true of most Elves. If the act is returning from death back to Middle-earth itself, you would have to include Beren (and probably Lúthien) in the list.

In any event, is this the quote? ‘But in any case,’ said Glorfindel, ‘to send the Ring to him would only postpone the day of evil.'
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

yes, that is the quote.

I knew I was wrong when V didn’t pick it up immediately. Sorry.

But I thought Glorfindel and Gandalf were the only ones who returned to ME through Eru’s direct intervention.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

No, I'm afraid that Gandalf the White is the only one that has that distinction, though of course everything that the Valar do has its ultimate source in Eru. (And of course it is never stated directly in the text that Gandalf is returned by Eru, but it is implied and stated more directly in Tolkien's letters.)

As for Glorfindel, his name (like that of Legolas Greenleaf) was a name from the old Lost Tales that Tolkien reused in the writing of LOTR more or less accidentally. However, being a more important character in the original Tales, Tolkien eventually felt the need to explain the use of the name, whereas he never bothered with Legolas). But in those fragmentary notes written in the last years of his life, the suggestion is that Glorfindel was sent back to Middle-earth by the Valar, either as a precursor to the Istari, or with Olórin (Gandalf).

After Beren was killed by Carcharoth, Lúthien essentially died of grief, but her spirit went to Mandos and sang such a song of power and beauty that Mandos was moved to pity for the only time and granted her the choice to return to Middle-earth along with Beren but as a mortal couple, so that her spirit would leave the circles of the world as do those of humans. While this choice was granted by Mandos, obviously it could only be done with the dispensation of Eru.

I'll post a new quote later.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the new quote:

Well, what do you know about work, she felt like a fork from the shelf, bacon suddenly picked up bread!
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Bilbo about being rescued by the Eagles?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Quote?

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

"Now I know what a piece of bacon feels like when it is suddenly picked out of the pan on a fork and put back on the shelf!"
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Voronwë the Faithful

Yup!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Someone else please take the quote. I need to not be here right now. Later, gators.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Okay, here's a nice easy one that didn't get changed much, to get us back on track:
I can not carry it for you, but I can carry it with you.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Sam to Frodo in Mordor.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Yes - can you give the quote?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Whoops.

“I can’t carry it for you, but I can carry you.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Close enough.
Voronwë the Faithful

Do we have a new quote acomin'?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Gollum to Bilbo when he was slow in answering the "time" riddle?
Voronwë the Faithful

Close enough. ;)
Voronwë the Faithful

Actually Voronwë to Inanna when she was slow to post a new quote.

Don't make Jude break out the dreaded Willow "Well?" picture! (Actually not so dreaded; more like incredibly cute.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

no, no, not the "Well?", not the "Well?", I beg you. I'm translation-partying right now!

Here you go (and sorry - just not on my laptop a lot these days):
I was surprised: it maintains HID to use it.