The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

A different one. It actually didn't change that much.

ETA: I should note that I removed a "he said" from the middle of the quote so that the two parts of the sentence were combined in one.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

Do we need a hint?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Just to bring it to the new page:
"'Ah! This fragrance! It's getting stronger."
Is the meaning of the original similar? The first thing I thought of was Bilbo under the mountain getting closer to Smaug and remarking about it.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, the meaning of the original is very similar. The original quote is considerably later in time than your thought, but it is said by the same type of being.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Aha, then it must be Shelob's Lair:
Sam wrote:Ugh! That smell! It's getting stronger and stronger!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yup, that's it! Well done!

I'll be curious to see how funnytranslator.com works for you, if you chose to try it. I found it a definite mixed bag, but better than trying to do it manually.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

FunnyTranslator looks promising, but both the quotes I tried were too long for it.

So I used google translate and ran this through French, Russian, and Japanese, and ended up with:
And when you walk around thinking that you destroyed your own house when you destroyed mine, it's kinda handy.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, I know that one. It's Saruman telling Frodo that he's messing up the Shire as Frodo did to Isengard.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Does you haz exact quote?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:Image
:rofl: :love:
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Oh, you mean a vague guess is not enough? I'll go look for the books. After the meetings.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

meeting.jpg
meeting.jpg (84.32 KiB) Viewed 3456 times
elengil

Post by elengil »

Frelga wrote:Saruman's home could be all wrecked, and he could be turned out, but no one could touch yours.
Honestly I've been reading these two pages over and over and that's the closest but it still doesn't seem to be quite right. Or else those translations *really* did a number on it.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That's not the right quote.

(and why have you attributed it to Frelga?)
elengil

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:That's not the right quote.

(and why have you attributed it to Frelga?)
Just in case it was right? lol

Is it earlier then? With Sam speaking?
was a 2020 planner.

Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

The actual quote is quite a bit earlier than the one you posted.
elengil

Post by elengil »

"It comes home to you, as they say; because it is home, and you remember it before it was all ruined."

Is that the one? I thought of this one but Sam says it rather than Saruman.
was a 2020 planner.

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

And it will afford me some comfort as I wander to think that you pulled down your own house when you destroyed mine.
This?

elengil

Post by elengil »

What chapter is that from?
was a 2020 planner.