The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Ah!

Sent from my LG G6 using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

That would be Legolas' exclamation upon seeing the Balrog: "Ai!".
Voronwë the Faithful

LOL! (Actually, when I ran that through at translationparty, it came out as "Artificial Intelligence."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Voronwë the Faithful

This should be fun.

"The cursed despicable peach!"
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

PEACH? is That there in the original?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, though it is not the full word in the original.

It is not said by a major character. And it is neither Man, Elf, Dwarf, or Hobbit.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was it spoken by someone who used to be a hobbit, or used to be a man?

Or a woman?
Voronwë the Faithful

No. (Though there are some questions about whether his or her ancestors may have been human.)
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Inanna »

Is it spoken by Ghân <automatic umlaut is missing!>
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Might his or her ancestors have been elves?
Voronwë the Faithful

Inanna, no. (The full name Ghân-buri-Ghân was included in the word replacement list, but not Ghân. I have remedied that oversight.)

Jude, yes, exactly. It is also possible that the speaker was nothing more than a talking "beast" animated by Melkor's (and/or Sauron's) fell power. I think it highly unlikely, however, that this particularly speaker was a minor Maia taking an earthly form in service of its master(s).
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Ok, now am lost.

I thought Jude was tending towards Orcs, but V's response has completely confused me.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I'm still leaning towards an orc. Voronwë's explanation refers to the fact that there is some dispute as to their origin.

I'm puzzled by the fact that it mentioned a peach, though - I always thought they were dedicated carnivores.
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes, an orc. The origin of the orcs is certainly in dispute, with Tolkien at different points stating that they were perverted men, or perverted Elves, or simply beasts that were not really sentient but were able to speak through being animated by Melkor and/or Sauron. He also noted that some "great orcs" (which he called "Baldogs" were actually minor Maiar that took that form in the service of their masters.

And yes the reference to a peach is puzzling, but I can confirm that the reference to "peach" was not in regard to eating (and remember, I said that while "peach" is in the original, it is not the full word in the original). I can also honestly say that in all of the literally dozens of readings of the book that I have done in the past, I have never noticed the use of the word before.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I have no memory of reading/discussing that Orcs could be minor Maia taking earthly forms. Wow, you think you know your lore.

Maybe its "peachy" - describing the situation rather than the fruit.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

So it's an orc, discussing peaches in a non-food context.

Um - from The Hobbit?
Voronwë the Faithful

Not The Hobbit.

Edited to add because I missed Inanna's post:

The discussion about some Orcs being minor Maiar is in the "Myth's Transformed" section of Morgoth's Ring.

The word in the original is not "Peachy" but you are someway on the right track (in the sense that the word in the original is "Peach" with an extra syllable).
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Rats. I was pretty sure it was in one of their goblin songs :blackeye:
Voronwë the Faithful

Not part of a song (and see my edit to my post above).
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is the word "impeach"? Is it Rudy Giuliani?

Look, I have resisted making that joke for 24 hours, but I'm only human.
:blackeye:
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!