The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by elengil »

Jude wrote:Spoken during the First Age?
Yas.
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I feel like I remember this quote from my last reading of the Silmarillion, too long ago. Does it refer indirectly to Eärendil?
elengil

Post by elengil »

I believe so, yes. Indirectly in that there is no Eärendil to refer to yet.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is it related to the likelihood of some stronghold falling? To Morgoth, I mean.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Is it related to the likelihood of some stronghold falling? To Morgoth, I mean.
That is certainly the context, yes.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Aren’t you on the west coast? You’re awake!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:Aren’t you on the west coast? You’re awake!
The cats got me up early, but this is about the time I'd be up anyway in winter.
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Beleriand?
Doriath?
Gondolin?
elengil

Post by elengil »

No
No
Yes
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

(I might have to backtrack slightly, the quote does not directly happen relative to the fall of Gondolin, but it is referenced in the surrounding text)
was a 2020 planner.

Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Is it this one?

"remember that the true hope of the Noldor lieth in the West, and cometh from the Sea"? Its a bit of a stretch
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
elengil

Post by elengil »

No. That comes later.
was a 2020 planner.

elengil

Post by elengil »

:poke:
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Huor to Turgon: "Yet if it stands but a little while, then out of your house shall come the hope of Elves and Men."
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

That's the one!
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

This one never reached equilibrium, but this was where it was at when TranslationParty gave up.

Is all sad things not true?
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Did you just change it?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is that Sam when he saw that Gandalf was alive?

"Is everything sad going to come untrue?"
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Inanna wrote:Did you just change it?
I think he did!
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

Yes I did, because I decided that that quote was too perfect for the time not to use.

Jude, that is part of the correct quote; I also used the next sentence, which appears to have been completely eliminated in the translation for some reason.

Your turn.