The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Jude »

Well, it might be this one:

"We cannot get out," muttered Gimli. "It was well for us that the pool had sunk a little, and that the Watcher was sleeping down at the southern end."

But it probably isn't, because I suspect that the" Middle Ages" was a translation of "Middle-Earth".
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

Wrong quote! Later. Not Gimli.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Is it about Gandalf?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

No. Different race entirely.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

After the Balrog?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Does it refer to orcs?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

After the Balrog. It is not in Moria (I was mistaken to say so earlier, and that is a hint). It doesn't refer to orcs.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

It sounds like the quote about how only the elves can escape Middle-earth, over the sea. I think it was Frodo, but not sure from where. Its the BBC radio adaptation I can hear in my head...
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Can you give the quote?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I think we need another hint, unless Alatar has it...
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Alatar is right. I don't have time to look up the exact quote at the moment (I can't get my Kindle app to search it out).
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Its from the Tower of Cirith Ungol:
Even if we get out of here, we can't escape. Only Elves can escape. Away, away out of Middle-earth, far away over the Sea. If even that is wide enough to keep the Shadow out.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

All but the last sentence. You got it!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Ok, this changed a bit but the key sentiments are there
You need to resolve your Office. What are trained. Yet understand. My time has been exceeded.
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Sounds like some emails I get.
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Gandalf to the Hobbits just before the Scouring: 'You must settle its affairs yourselves; that is what you have been trained for. Do you not yet understand? My time is over: it is no longer my task to set things to rights, nor to help folk to do so.'
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Yep. Everything except the last sentence!
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Alatar wrote:
You need to resolve your Office. What are trained. Yet understand. My time has been exceeded.
I'm gonna email that to my project manager and see what happens...
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Recalling the sympathy of some of the high speed shaft of a feather of the King of all birds, people love!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Does it refer to the Eagles?