The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Inanna »

Or legolas in Lothlórien?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is it part of a poem or song?
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:So, Aragorn?
Yes
Jude wrote:Is it part of a poem or song?
Yes
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

From The tale of Tinúviel?
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:From The tale of Tinúviel?
*I have been corrected, the answer is yes
Last edited by elengil on Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That actually is exactly the name that it is given by the singer.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:That actually is exactly the name that it is given by the singer.
Ach, quite right, quite right! I am sorry, for some reason I had it in my head that it was something else.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

And I apologize for sounding (as I now see) like a know-it-all!
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
elengil

Post by elengil »

Voronwë the Faithful wrote:And I apologize for sounding (as I now see) like a know-it-all!
:hug: :kiss: I didn't think that.
was a 2020 planner.

Voronwë the Faithful

:hug:
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

No worries, Elengil. I also think of it as "Beren and Lúthien", but wanted to be exact, given its a puzzle..

Is this the one:

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves of years were thickly strewn,
elengil

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote:No worries, Elengil. I also think of it as "Beren and Lúthien", but wanted to be exact, given its a puzzle..

Is this the one:

He sought her ever, wandering far
Where leaves of years were thickly strewn,
That's the one!

And having even just read it, I was still so sure it was the Tale of Lúthien LOL
was a 2020 planner.

Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Next Quote

The Lord of Wisdom immediately sat and angry and laughed at him.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Is "Lord of Wisdom" an accurate translation of the original?
Voronwë the Faithful

Is it from Frodo's song remembering Gandalf (when he thought Gandalf had fallen in Moria)?

"A lord of wisdom throned he sat,
swift in anger, quick to laugh"
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes. Your turn.
Voronwë the Faithful

Here's the new one.

"You choose, for now I'm tired of the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was it spoken by Fëanor's mother?
Voronwë the Faithful

That is a very good guess, and would be even a better guess if the published Silmarillion included all of Finwë and Míriel's sad story (or if we included in this game material only published in HoMe).

I will say that it was said by (but not to) someone who was a descendent of Finwë's (though not of Míriel's).
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

I skimmed through the sections with Maeglin and Aredhel, and didn't spot it. Should I be looking elsewhere?