The Tolkien Translation Game!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: The Tolkien Translation Game!

Post by Inanna »

No. Almost in the middle of the two bag end events.
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

To bring it to the new page:
Do not have anything: "people in this sense is not
Was it spoken by Treebeard, by any chance?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes!
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

And, Jude?
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Um, I went through the Treebeard section and didn't recognize the quote. I'll do it again, but in the meantime, if anyone else finds it, feel free to jump in...
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Quote is unrecognizable. But it has “” and :

It’s a fun quote. Related to language, as in the precision of language.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Oh. Well, in that case:
Merry wrote:You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

ROFL.

Jude!!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Is it this one: ‘I am not going to do anything with you: not if you mean by that “do something to you” without your leave.'
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yes!
Voronwë the Faithful

You weren't kidding when you said the quote was unrecognizable! But what I tried to do was even worse.
I was going to use a quote from The Hobbit when the dwarves are outraged at first at Bilbo's plan to rescue them from Elves and exclaim: We shall be bruised and battered to pieces, and drowned too, for certain! but that somehow turned into: - "You folks"? - Subtle. I don't think that would be fair, so I'll try something else later.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Weird - that's the exact same translation that resulted when I attempted submitted this quote a few pages back:
Doubtless we shall be hidden from all unfriendly eyes when the snow has covered us, but that will not help us.
Have we discovered an Easter Egg?
Voronwë the Faithful

I thought it sounded familiar!
Voronwë the Faithful

I think translationparty is screwed up. I tried one from the Silmarillion, Fingolfin trying to make nice to Fëanor: "'Half-brother in blood, full brother in heart will I be. Thou shalt lead and I will follow. May no new grief divide us." Translationparty came up with "You're lying." What's really weird is that it went through several iterations of about the same length of the original quote, and then suddenly reduced it to "You're lying." I guess I'll try another one.
Voronwë the Faithful

I tried another one, and it almost didn't change at all. But this one works, though I don't think it should be too hard.

I do not want to kill. It is not one of the thieves to confirm that they do not hurt the hobbit.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

I think it's one I posted a while ago, which is why it's familiar. Or one of two similar quotes - he nearly repeated himself. Is it Frodo during the Scouring of the Shire?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

It is. Sorry about that. Should I do a new one?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Since it'll save me looking for the actual quote, I say please do. :)

With the translation party, I often have to take a translation other than the last, which tends to be unusable.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Voronwë the Faithful

This should be fairly easy, as it did not change that much.

man! Surely not! I am a hobbit that is not brave than a human being. Please save this time if necessary.
Jude
Lán de Grás

Post by Jude »

Was this spoken by Pippin in Minas Tirith?