Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Lord of the Rings Online going Free to Play!

Post by Alatar »

http://www.codemasters.co.uk/emails/lot ... k_web.html
Coming this autumn, we are proud to announce a major update that will make The Lord of the Rings Online™ (LOTRO) Free-to-Play for everyone. LOTRO will be introducing a new pricing model which allows new players to download the game and play for free. Everyone will be able to purchase expansions, quest packs, items, and account services a la carte from the new LOTRO Store, or join our VIP program to get unlimited access to all of the game’s content for one low price.

In addition to the new pricing model, the award winning story will be extended, a new region unveiled and much more!

LOTRO will offer players unlimited choice!

Free means free!
New players will be able to join with millions of other adventurers as they explore the most complete and authentic recreation of Middle-earth ever created and participate in LOTRO’s award-winning epic story up to level 50 completely free.

New LOTRO Store introduced
The LOTRO Store will be loaded with thousands of convenience items as well as expansion packs, premium content, additional character slots, potions, character customisation and more! The LOTRO Store will be seamlessly integrated into the game allowing you new and exciting ways to enhance and customise your experience using Points which can be purchased in the store or earned through gameplay.

Be a LOTRO VIP!
Players who elect to become a LOTRO VIP will have unlimited access to all premium content, receive priority server access, 5 character slots, a shared bank slot, and a monthly allotment of Points to spend in the new LOTRO Store.

NB: All current lifetime subscription holders will automatically become VIPs under the new pricing model.
The Vinyamars on Stage! This time at Bag End
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

That's interesting. Still don't have time for it, though.
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I better not start it. I don't, and won't, have time for it. But usually, I don't have much patience for elaborate games....
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
narya
chocolate bearer
Location: Wishing I could be beachcombing, or hiking, or dragon boating

Post by narya »

Can you get addicted the very first time you use it? :D
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. ~ Albert Camus
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

:Q Oh dear. I'm going to pretend I don't know this.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Now if they threw in a couple extra hours in a day, I might give them a try. :D
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Oh just log in for a few hours, help Dora Bracegirdle deliver some pies around Hobbiton and maybe help the Shirriffs with some postal deliveries round the Shire. How addictive could it be?

:twisted:
eborr

Post by eborr »

it is well known that pies are very addictive.
axordil
Pleasantly Twisted

Post by axordil »

That sounds like they're moving to microtransactions. Very slippery slope there...:)
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

True, but the advantage of Microtransactions is that those who play a lot, pay a lot and those who play a little, pay a little.
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Am planning to try, Alatar... I can't imagine paying for it, even a teeny amount, though.

So, I am going to register now... you game to discuss it here? :)
'You just said "your getting shorter": you've obviously been drinking too much ent-draught and not enough Prim's.' - Jude
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Absolutely!
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

:D

So I am a Lore-Master, Level 16 on the Riddermark server.

This is the character I am focusing on. I started one more (an Elf) when the Riddermark server was down on Meneldor, I think. But I am quite excited about how my Lore-master is progressing.

I can now call on a Bear as my ally. :D

You must be so advanced, I doubt we can be in a fellowship toegther.... :P
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

Well, yes. And also I'm on a different server, in a different time zone!

So did you start your character in Bree? How far are you along the Epic quest chain?
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

I started in Bree area, yes. Archet, to be precise.

Not very far long in the epic chain. I've done the Amdir bit in that. Vol.1, I forget which chapter.

I've been focusing on increasing my levels, doing tasks etc. I want to buy a horse, but 4 Golds! Jeez. :P
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Re: (For) Random Thoughts and Observations

Post by Inanna »

Sorry for the digression - but who was playing LOTRO? Elengil? Are you still? Am thinking of restarting....
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Inanna wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:25 pm Sorry for the digression - but who was playing LOTRO? Elengil? Are you still? Am thinking of restarting....
I had been playing it pretty regularly up till this year. I technically still have a paid account, I absolutely would start up again with a partner in adventuring :)
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF
Inanna
Meetu's little sister

Post by Inanna »

Yay. PM me which server etc.
Alatar
of Vinyamar

Post by Alatar »

I got a lifetime sub so technically I can play anytime but in a particularly thematic fashion Mordor sucked all the joy out of the game for me. I still haven't made it to Erebor cause I can't face finishing the drudgery of Mordor
elengil
Cat-egorical Herbitual Creativi-Tea

Post by elengil »

Alatar wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:50 pm I got a lifetime sub so technically I can play anytime but in a particularly thematic fashion Mordor sucked all the joy out of the game for me. I still haven't made it to Erebor cause I can't face finishing the drudgery of Mordor
My highest character only just made it out of Rohan. lol I guess leveling wasn't ever my strong suit ;)
Inanna wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:21 pm Yay. PM me which server etc.
I'll have to double check when I get home, I think it's still Landroval?
The dumbest thing I've ever bought
was a 2020 planner.

"Does anyone ever think about Denethor, the guy driven to madness by staying up late into the night alone in the dark staring at a flickering device he believed revealed unvarnished truth about the outside word, but which in fact showed mostly manipulated media created by a hostile power committed to portraying nothing but bad news framed in the worst possible way in order to sap hope, courage, and the will to go on? Seems like he's someone we should think about." - Dave_LF