Take me out to the ballgame!

A forum for games, puzzles and sports-related discussions.
Holbytla

Post by Holbytla »

If there are any other Drew brothers in need of a ring, send them along.
We'll take them.

Go Sox!
Voronwë the Faithful
At the intersection of here and now

Post by Voronwë the Faithful »

Check out the folks chattering at about 0:48 of this video at mlb.com:

http://wapc.mlb.com/play/?content_id=31199327
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
WampusCat
Creature of the night

Post by WampusCat »

:love:
Take my hand, my friend. We are here to walk one another home.

Avatar from Fractal_OpenArtGroup
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Post by Primula Baggins »

:love:

:hug:

I know someone famous!

I mean not just for being a renowned Tolkien scholar. Those are like a dime a dozen.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
Teremia
Reads while walking

Post by Teremia »

Oh wow!!! Aren't those those famous wonderful drummers I've heard so much about???
“Wilbur never forgot Charlotte. Although he loved her children and grandchildren dearly, none of the new spiders ever quite took her place in his heart. She was in a class by herself. It is not often that someone comes along who is a true friend and a good writer. Charlotte was both.” E. B. White, who must have had vison in mind. There's a reason why we kept putting the extra i in her name in our minds!
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Re: Take me out to the ballgame!

Post by Lalaith »

Indians!!!!!

What a nail-biter! :scarey:
Voronwë the Faithful

Crazy game!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
"Spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles flew ever to and from his halls; and their eyes could see to the depths of the seas, and pierce the hidden caverns beneath the world."
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

Seriously! Wow!

Well, I'm bummed, but, like I said on FB, well done to both teams! They both clearly deserved to be there, and they made it as exciting as possible. It really was a great game!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Yesssssssssssssss.
“There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”
Dave_LF
Wrong within normal parameters

Post by Dave_LF »

I practically never watch sports of any kind. But it seems like whenever I do, "my" team gets off to an early lead, blows it late in the game and allows the other team to tie the score, then loses in overtime. It happens in the sports where they slide the ball around on the ice; it happens in the sports where they kick it into the big tuning fork; it happens in the sports where they throw it through a suspended loop. I've become a bit superstitious about this effect* to the point where, on the rare occasion that I care about the outcome of a contest, I deliberately don't watch. But a couple hours into last night's game of the sports where you pretend the ball is a monster and have to smack it away with a stick and get to the beanbag before it can catch you again, I decided to risk a peek. And my team was so far ahead that it seemed like it was safe to watch for a while. And it promptly turned into a tie, went into overtime, and then got delayed by rain. There was no need to draw lots because we all knew what was going on; I did what was best for the crew and threw myself overboard by turning off the TV**. You're welcome, Cubs fans. :D

* I would love to hear 538's analysis of it

** Well; smartphone
Lalaith
Lali Beag Bídeach

Post by Lalaith »

So I have you to blame, then? :burned:
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I wasn't going to watch it. I really needed to work for four or five hours last night. But I was wandering in and out of the kitchen/family room working on dinner things and it kind of got interesting and then it went on and on and on but since I'd invested so much time. . . .

Paying for that today. And tonight. But it was fun.
JewelSong
Just Keep Singin'

Post by JewelSong »

Awesome game and a nail biter right up until the end! I couldn't bear to watch or even listen to it - I had a live blog feed and I kept refreshing the page.

A welcome respite from all the political cr*p. Go, Cubs! Wrigley Field overflows with joy! :D :D :D
"Live! Live! Live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death!" - Auntie Mame

Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Is Chicago still there this morning?

Excellent game. It was good to see two of my favorite former As, Davis and Crisp, do so well for the Indians. And Lester do much better for Chicago than he had for the As in 2014.

Not having a preference for the winner, I was able to enjoy the baseball without the stress.

And hey, Back to the Future was only off by a year.
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
Primula Baggins
Living in hope

Which way?
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

They had the Cubs winning in 2015, no?
If there was anything that depressed him more than his own cynicism, it was that quite often it still wasn't as cynical as real life.

Primula Baggins
Living in hope

I never saw the third one.
Frelga
Meanwhile...

Post by Frelga »

Spring training games ahoy!

Voronwë the Faithful

Listening to the one and only Jon Miller as I write this!
Faramond

Post by Faramond »

Jon Miller is very good. All the Giants announcers are, really.

Speaking of announcers -- I don't think I'm ready for a Dodger season without Vin Scully. It just won't be the same. I started listening to him in 1983, when he was *already* a legend, and *already* a Ford C. Frick honoree in the baseball hall of fame. And yet I still got to listen to more than half his career. 34 out of 67 years.

I'm really not ready for opening day without Vin Scully.